SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 20, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #41,342 of 45,723
Cool, is that the WN-WMZ1’s menus?
Yes. It’s much better than people realize. Check YouTube videos for it’s smooth operation

Jul 20, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #41,344 of 45,723
Alright. I just might buy a Sony NW-WM-Z1 and a Hugo 2 / 2Go. I feel they both have things I want. Then I can move on to the stereo system plans and purchases.

I was just taking to Moon Audio and the rep there believes that the NW-WMZ1 (that’s so hard to type on my iPhone lol) possibly has a FPGA doing some function that Sony doesn’t talk about?! But then again, he also said the NW-WMZ1 can act as a USB DAC and I thought the Sony was a closed system.

Jul 20, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #41,345 of 45,723
@NeoDiNardo I use my 1A with the Focal Clears, and it's a match made in heaven. So i'm pretty sure they'll work very well with the Stellias as they are even more power efficient. Just make sure you're using the 4.4mm port as it gives you much more power to drive those headphones even more comfortably.

You might find the interface slow and clunky coming from an iPhone or Android device, but it's actually very usable once you get used to it and the battery life pretty much beats every other battery enabled DAP by a long shot.

And the Sony is a closed system? You haven't been reading the thread it seems :ksc75smile: And yes it can be used as a DAC among other things...

Jul 20, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #41,346 of 45,723
@NeoDiNardo I use my 1A with the Focal Clears, and it's a match made in heaven. So i'm pretty sure they'll work very well with the Stellias as they are even more power efficient. Just make sure you're using the 4.4mm port as it gives you much more power to drive those headphones even more comfortably.

You might find the interface slow and clunky coming from an iPhone or Android device, but it's actually very usable once you get used to it and the battery life pretty much beats every other battery enabled DAP by a long shot.

And the Sony is a closed system? You haven't been reading the thread it seems :ksc75smile: And yes it can be used as a DAC among other things...

At nearly 3000 pages I definitely have not read all of this thread!! Perhaps someday when I have time.

Next I’ll have to go Google ninja on which brand of custom cables to buy.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #41,347 of 45,723
Alright. I just might buy a Sony NW-WM-Z1 and a Hugo 2 / 2Go. I feel they both have things I want. Then I can move on to the stereo system plans and purchases.

I was just taking to Moon Audio and the rep there believes that the NW-WMZ1 (that’s so hard to type on my iPhone lol) possibly has a FPGA doing some function that Sony doesn’t talk about?! But then again, he also said the NW-WMZ1 can act as a USB DAC and I thought the Sony was a closed system.

It can be used as usb dac and BT receiver now though neither facility were present the first couple of years, they were added via fw updates. And yes there is something similar to a fpga in them

Jul 20, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #41,348 of 45,723
It can be used as usb dac and BT receiver now though neither facility were present the first couple of years, they were added via fw updates. And yes there is something similar to a fpga in them

Is there any notable USB lag for watching movies on my laptop? I read the in the DMP-Z1 thread that the DMP-Z1 has a bit of lag with the Walkman OS processing the signal.

Jul 20, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #41,349 of 45,723
Is there any notable USB lag for watching movies on my laptop? I read the in the DMP-Z1 thread that the DMP-Z1 has a bit of lag with the Walkman OS processing the signal.

Yes, there is. I would recommend that mode only for listening to music, unless you can compensate for the delay in your movie player.

Maybe they'll "fix" that in the next firmware update.

Jul 20, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #41,350 of 45,723
I am one who didn't find any improvement with 100% of the tuned firmware these last months which were available through this forum.

Until yesterday, I tried a lot of them and measured some of them with MiniDSP ears and frequency response or THD were 100% identical with stock firmware, so I was not surprised that I couldn't get sound differences, as they must be so tiny and mostly impossible to detect without any direct A/B comparison. If some were catchable, who can tell if it's an improvement and not just different ?

I gave a chance yesterday to MrWalkman Z+ firmware, though I was obliged to deactivate my windows defender to switch between WM1A/WM1Z conf.
I didn't measure the Z+ till now( MiniDSP ears), but this time (for teh first time) I can really ear some differences in ultra-bass section quite noticeable like deeper faster and clearer impacts (I can get those with an Heddphone which is even clearer than my closed Ultrasone Ed15 veritas).
I would even say that is my best experience till now with a portable player (WM1A/M6/M11/H6pro).
I am waiting for a stronger portable amp (Centrance M8 V2), and then I will make some measurements compared to a Monolyth THX887 with stock firmware and Z+.

A real pleasure to have spent more than 12 hours now with the Z+ firmware on WM1A.
My ears also detected the bass imediatly! even via SE!

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #41,351 of 45,723

I didn't like my ex stellia with my wm1a...so i sold them....the sound was too muddle...anche soundstage was so intimate...and the skin... beautiful,really...but too delicate...while driving the stellias with Hugo 2 was another story..

Jul 20, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #41,352 of 45,723
Thank you so much for sharing! So these two different firmware's are completely different? Which firmware would change the sound WM1A to equal/exceed that of the WM1Z? Thanks again!
Bruh...you are a godsend!!! I was wondering what all this switcher talk was all about. I was baffled when the Sony site didnt have it...now I got the update and hot damn this is killer. My WM1A is WHOLE DIFFERENT BEAST NOW!!! Props to ya for this!!

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #41,353 of 45,723
Bruh...you are a godsend!!! I was wondering what all this switcher talk was all about. I was baffled when the Sony sight didnt have it...now I got the update and hot damn this is killer. My WM1A is w WHOLE DIFFERENT BEAST NOW!!! Props to ya for this!!
you should buy @MrWalkman a beer, he spent sleepless nights working for these

Jul 20, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #41,354 of 45,723
I want add my thanks to Mr Walkman for all the great work he has down. Not tried the switcher but have applied his + mod. Echo all the wonderful things people have been saying, it truly sounds incredible! Going to stay on this before trying the switcher function as I want to enjoy the new sound on all my fav music. Thank you Mr Walkman!😍😍😍
This is a huge upgrade for the 1A owners...this update tightened everything up mos def.

Jul 20, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #41,355 of 45,723
Before we start, the things below are actual firmware mods, and not just tunings.
I think someone was asking about some, once upon a time. :)

WM1A/Z+

This mod brings improvements to the sound on both WM1A and WM1Z, better battery life,
and allows switching your WM1A to WM1Z and back, or your WM1Z to WM1A and back.

How to: First install the firmware, and then go to "Settings", "Device Settings", "Reset/Format",
and then choose "Switch Device Model". After switching the model, install this firmware again, in
order to fully apply the new model's sound signature.

Switching the model is not mandatory, as the mod brings sound improvements for both players.

The process of switching the model takes about 1 or 2 seconds, and then the player will restart
automatically. You can always see what is your current model by going to "Settings", "Certificates",
or by going to "Settings", "Unit information".

WM1A to 1Z (for WM1A only)

This mod only enables switching your WM1A to the sound of stock WM1Z. This is intended for WM1A
only, but if you install it on your WM1Z by mistake, nothing wrong will happen.

How to: First install this firmware, and then go to "Settings", "Device Settings", "Reset/Format", and
then choose "Switch Device Model". After switching the model, install this firmware again, in order
to fully apply the 1Z sound signature to your 1A.

To check the current model, go to "Settings", "Certificates", or go to "Settings", "Unit information".

Frequently Asked Questions

- How do I get back to stock firmware?
First make sure you switched back to the original model for your player, and then install the
"WM1 Back to Stock" firmware. After installing this firmware, you can then go ahead and install
any other official version, like 2.00, 3.00, 3.01, 3.02, etc.

- I do not use the player in English, and I cannot find the Switch Device Model function in the
"Reset/Format" menu. What do I do?

The Switch Device Model function replaces the Factory reset function. So if you are not using the
player in English, just use the Factory reset option. I promise it will not actually do a factory reset,
as long as you are using WM1A/Z+ or WM1A to 1Z.

- Do I need to be on version 3.02 before installing one of the mods?
No, you do not.

- If I am already using one of the two firmware mods, do I need to first switch back to 1A or
to 1Z, and then I can install any new versions of the mods?

No, you can just go ahead and install new versions of the mods, when/if they appear, unless
specified otherwise.

- If I am using the "WM1A/Z+" firmware and I want to try the "WM1A to 1Z" firmware, do I first need
to switch the model back to original?

No, you can just install the other firmware and that's it. Just remember that for going back to stock,
you should first switch to the original model for your player.

- What happens if I switch the model, but then I don't install the firmware again?
Nothing wrong will happen. The sound might not be the same as if installing the firmware again though.
Feel free to experiment, but the recommendation is that you should install the firmware again after
switching the model.
If you were on 1Z, and then you switch on 1A and you don't install the firmware again, the sound will mainly be the one of 1A, but it will still have slight characteristics of the 1Z sound.

Same goes if you are on 1A, then you switch to 1Z, but then you don't install the firmware again. The sound will mainly be the one of 1Z, but it will still have slight characteristics of the 1A sound.

If your player is on region J or on region U, you can go to "Settings", and then to "Certificate", in order to
check the current installed firmware.

screenshot_20200719_055952726.png screenshot_20200719_055630052.png

Also, both WM1A/Z+ and WM1A to 1Z mods have hardware accelerated rendition of the UI enabled. This means a more faster, responsive UI, in general.

LINK

Thanks for everyone who tried this while in earlier stages!

Hope you'll enjoy!
Hooked ya up with that Beer my friend...you made sure I aint never selling this 1A .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back