SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 16, 2020 at 3:06 AM Post #40,906 of 45,723
Jul 16, 2020 at 3:55 AM Post #40,907 of 45,723
wm1a is probably the wise buy , plus @Vitaly2017 was telling me via pm that he enjoys wm1a more than wm1z (yeh that was one huge plot twist...)

in the end it's your hard-earned money and you should buy whaat your heart desires (and your bank account allows)

Probably the romi mod just doesn’t suit his taste :relaxed:

Jul 16, 2020 at 4:04 AM Post #40,908 of 45,723
Probably the romi mod just doesn’t suit his taste :relaxed:
That’s interesting, as in effect that is a destructive mod, you don’t like it, game over - I think if this is confirmed as correct, that I’ll probably keep mine as vanilla for as long as I have it

Jul 16, 2020 at 4:34 AM Post #40,909 of 45,723
That’s interesting, as in effect that is a destructive mod, you don’t like it, game over - I think if this is confirmed as correct, that I’ll probably keep mine as vanilla for as long as I have it

Yes I also have the same thought. FW mod is the best way to go if you want to experience a different tuning.

Jul 16, 2020 at 4:47 AM Post #40,910 of 45,723
This is an opinion: The thing with mods... why is there the general assumption that they are an improvement over the original? They may change the sound characteristics, but that doesn't imply that the sound quality will go tiers up. That's one of the biggest misleading assertions I have see in this forum.

This is just an opinion... :smile_phones:

Jul 16, 2020 at 4:48 AM Post #40,911 of 45,723
Hopefully we can get some sort of DSP on the next firmware so we could change the sound instantaneously. But I’m not crossing my fingers on it happening unfortunately. Good news is our Daps sound awesome already, this would just be icing on the cake.

Jul 16, 2020 at 5:02 AM Post #40,912 of 45,723
Silver wires will change the sound of the walkman, Copper will not. I tried warning him when he was talking about getting his player modded.
Other Than that, Capacitor Mods will be superior to a stock player in every possible way.

ADD: Changing the internal wires should be an easy enough fix.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2020 at 5:16 AM Post #40,913 of 45,723
This is an opinion: The thing with mods... why is there the general assumption that they are an improvement over the original? They may change the sound characteristics, but that doesn't imply that the sound quality will go tiers up. That's one of the biggest misleading assertions I have see in this forum.

You are right. There is no guarantee that a mod will improve the original sound. But some mods supersede that tremendously. Like the one we’re testing now. So yes, a mod can definitely make the sound way better than the original. If a proper AB test is done, the difference is instantly heard.

Jul 16, 2020 at 6:26 AM Post #40,914 of 45,723
Not all mods are an upgrade, and that is why there are what you would call “tuning”.

However, @Vitaly2017 Romni Mod is likely “defected

It started out with “hisses”, and then even after the 2nd trip, it didn’t even sound right.

All I can say is that there are people who are totally satisfied with their Romni mod, and @Nayparm can vouch for it. Also there are people who are not satisfied, and @Nayparm can also vouch for it, and they are defected. There are people who totally satisfied with EM mod such as @hshock76...and more.

Even large manufacturers such as Sony , will have to provide warranty as defect happens, getting your player modded by any person is risking it, and even higher chance to brick and or defect it.

So, is it fair to say that “mods don’t improve ?” Because it was defect or bricked ? Nope

Is it fair to say that 1A is as good as 1Z ? Or that you relying on 1 person to say that he prefer 1A over 1Z and to claim that they are on equal ground ? Nope. There are many who also could observe the 1A being lower tier in performances

1A by it design, development, engineered, to be a lower tier player than 1Z. Because it is priced cheaper, used lower technically components and parts on paper such as resistors, capacitors, wires and chassis, and it was engineered that way by the very same team that made 1Z. I do agree that 1A is an excellent buy for the money, and that it has many better components than other DAP on the markets, but certainly it isn’t anywhere closer to 1Z in performances, and I observed it side by side for different occasions, stock or modified

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2020 at 6:29 AM Post #40,915 of 45,723

It happens to be my opinion as well.

Jul 16, 2020 at 6:42 AM Post #40,917 of 45,723
Not all mods are an upgrade, and that is why there are what you would call “tuning”.

It started out with “hisses”, and then even after the 2nd trip, it didn’t even sound right.

All I can say is that there are people who are totally satisfied with their Romni mod, and @Nayparm can vouch for it. Also there are people who are not satisfied, and @Nayparm can also vouch for it, and they are defected. There are people who totally satisfied with EM mod such as @hshock76...and more.

Even large manufacturers such as Sony , will have to provide warranty as defect happens, getting your player modded by any person is risking it, and even higher chance to brick and or defect it.

So, is it fair to say that “mods don’t improve ?” Because it was defect or bricked ? Nope

Is it fair to say that 1A is as good as 1Z ? Or that you relying on 1 person to say that he prefer 1A over 1Z and to claim that they are on equal ground ? Nope. There are many who also could observe the 1A being lower tier in performances

1A by it design, development, engineered, to be a lower tier player than 1Z. Because it is priced cheaper, used lower technically components and parts on paper such as resistors, capacitors, wires and chassis, and it was engineered that way by the very same team that made 1Z. I do agree that 1A is an excellent buy for the money, and that it has many better components than other DAP on the markets, but certainly it isn’t anywhere closer to 1Z in performances, and I observed it side by side for different occasions, stock or modified
Absolutely. I am one of those fully satisfied with the Romi BG modded 1A. It became even better with the 1A/1Z Switcher of @MrWalkman. I also flashed my 1Z and I can confirm that both are amazingly good, but with different sound.

Even with the intensive hardware modifications, I cannot say it is better than my stock 1Z for all gears and music.

Jul 16, 2020 at 7:01 AM Post #40,918 of 45,723

Nor is it fair to imply that all hardware Mod's result in a spectacular positive difference, which is frequently the case. In reality some mods will add and some will detract to varying degrees. Overall hardware modification will change the sound signature plain & simple. Those getting into hardware Mod's are best to do their homework and fully understand the implications, especially if paying a third party to do so...

Those interested in hardware mod's my advice is educate yourself, learn & practise soldering. Don't pay exorbitant fees to a third party for what amounts to basic technical work. Pick up a well beaten up ZX300 or WM1A and have at it. There's a plethora of advice and direction on the web. Frankly with concise instruction your average smartphone repair booth could conduct far more professional work than some of the images that have been publicly shared, with clients charged significant amounts for completely unacceptable shoddy work. Worse some remain to defend, poor workmanship is what it is no excuses required...

Q-6

Jul 16, 2020 at 7:33 AM Post #40,919 of 45,723

Silver wires will change the sound of the walkman, Copper will not. I tried warning him when he was talking about getting his player modded.
Other Than that, Capacitor Mods will be superior to a stock player in every possible way.

ADD: Changing the internal wires should be an easy enough fix.
You are right. There is no guarantee that a mod will improve the original sound. But some mods supersede that tremendously. Like the one we’re testing now. So yes, a mod can definitely make the sound way better than the original. If a proper AB test is done, the difference is instantly heard.

Absolutely. I am one of those fully satisfied with the Romi BG modded 1A. It became even better with the 1A/1Z Switcher of @MrWalkman. I also flashed my 1Z and I can confirm that both are amazingly good, but with different sound.

Even with the intensive hardware modifications, I cannot say it is better than my stock 1Z for all gears and music.
Nor is it fair to imply that all hardware Mod's result in a spectacular positive difference, which is frequently the case. In reality some mods will add and some will detract to varying degrees. Overall hardware modification will change the sound signature plain & simple. Those getting into hardware Mod's are best to do their homework and fully understand the implications, especially if paying a third party to do so...

Those interested in hardware mod's my advice is educate yourself, learn & practise soldering. Don't pay exorbitant fees to a third party for what amounts to basic technical work. Pick up a well beaten up ZX300 or WM1A and have at it. There's a plethora of advice and direction on the web. Frankly with concise instruction your average smartphone repair booth could conduct far more professional work than some of the images that have been publicly shared, with clients charged significant amounts for completely unacceptable shoddy work. Worse some remain to defend, poor workmanship is what it is no excuses required...

Q-6

The blatant truth is that the 1Z is a modified 1A and it’s considered by many as a general improvement. We are all like kids in a candy store and actually very spoiled to have so many options. But outside of making generalizations there could be a group of folks that can agree that a certain aftermarket set of physical change-outs to a 1A or 1Z do make them better. It’s subjective but most of us would agree our Walkmans have a more audiophile response than a simple iPhone.

So there is a set of parameters we can all agree upon. I’ve only heard a modified 1A once in my life but my listening session doesn’t count as it was simply laying around and I needed a DAP to demo IEMs.

I don’t seek out mods for my Walkmans but have found plenty of joy in learning to appreciate the new firmwares and switchers. I’ve come to the conclusion that actually the 1A stock but with aftermarket firmware can get pretty exciting. So much so that it offers a refreshing change from daily 1Z use. As it turns out there are tons of variables to enjoyment it seems.

Once you realize the 1A can still offer a rather complete and satisfying tone, it’s then a spectacle of new and different abilities which are still amazingly good, even with the physical 1A untouched.

So days go by and now the new sound offers a contrast. The 1A can be exciting in a sense that it approaches the tone from a different direction. The 1A has it’s own charms. Then going back to the 1Z shows why it is popular and good. The reason we arrived here (on this thread) was looking for perfection. We were under the impression that the better the sound quality the more enjoyable the listening experience would be. My idea is maybe there could be many perfections in tone?

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #40,920 of 45,723
Ok Guys First off all my Romi/1z is not defective! It working as it is supposed to !
And thos assumption that @Whitigir did are not relavant as he never heard it and only base hes idea on talking to another headfier... He never acctually heard the dap it self!

Why I keep it quiet because I am learning the new sound that my wm1z/Romi has to offer! Is it because I prefer stock 1a or stock 1z means my romi/1z is deffective and broken NOT AT ALL.

There is no hiss and no defective components inside! The reason that @Whitigir thinks my romi bg is deffective is because of the soundstage as it has a different sound presentation!
I didnt pay attention to that at first but then decided to buy a second stock 1z to do further tests and decide which I prefer. To say my romi is deffective that is false claims!

Further more I spoke closly with Romi about everything was done with my wm1z he explained me that in hes mod he used a capacitor to make the soundstage more vast grandiose ! WHat that means is, instead of having your vocals and mid centric soundstage intimate its now more spacious! it has a distance now its not intimate its more like a hall room its bigger and goes much further. The sound presentation of soundstage simply changed why does that automatically means its defective???

Silver cables bring more neutrality and detail precision, its a little closer to 1a sound but different... With BG caps its still plenty warm and bassy as stock 1z even with silver cables!
My romi/1z is simply changed in sound and tuning and it is not true it is defective!

You guys know I am trying a lot of stuff around and claiming that because I went out and bought 1a and stock 1z that my romi is defective is totally false rumors.
I have the right to not like or dislike it, its all personal!

This is crazy , I havent even shared anything about my Romi and you guys already make false claims for me thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back