SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 4, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #38,926 of 45,723
Is it updated? I still saw the stage 5 . I'm quite happy with Stage 5Z, not sure if it's better

I liked your orion 5z but felt it was not musical enough but its very accurate and super balanced!

Jun 4, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #38,927 of 45,723
I liked your orion 5z but felt it was not musical enough but its very accurate and super balanced!
Thanks. Wait when Orion_S10Z becomes available.

Jun 4, 2020 at 7:22 PM Post #38,928 of 45,723
Thanks. Wait when Orion_S10Z becomes available.

Thats the musicalists in the finest tuning? Will I sign 🙃🙂 and my 1z will dance 😛😜

Jun 4, 2020 at 9:10 PM Post #38,929 of 45,723
So I am using 1Z firmware with my WM1A 3.02 J region and the Autumn+ installer for WM1Z/JP 3.02 does not detect my player. I get a "Connect the target Device to a computer with a USB Cable" when clicking next. Should I be using the WM1A/JP 3.02 for Autumn+?

Jun 4, 2020 at 9:11 PM Post #38,930 of 45,723
Allow me to introduce, the...

NW Model Switcher

NW Model Switcher is a Windows command line script, that works together with the
Rockbox destination/region changing tool in order to change the model of your device.

The main idea was to be able to get the sound signature of the WM1Z on the WM1A.

The tool currently supports changing the model on a WM1A/Z, ZX300 or DMP-Z1.

The sound tunings are applied via the Software Update tool from Sony. If someone
has a WM1A, a WM1A code always has to be in the update files, not really allowing
you to get a pure stock WM1Z sound.

Changing the model of a WM1A to a WM1Z, for example, will make it visible to the Software
Update tool as a WM1Z, allowing us to get rid of the necessary WM1A identification code in
the SWUpdate.xml file.

Also, after experimenting with this, it seems that the model of the device matters when the
Software Update applies the tuning. If you have a stock WM1A, and switch to WM1Z, it is not
enough. You will also have to reapply the stock tuning, and only then the change is noticed in
the audio - this is because, when flashing the stock as WM1Z as opposed to WM1A, the tuning
will be sent different to the device by the Software Update tool.

The tool can be found here (click). Last update: v1.2.2 (2020-06-02)

Instructions:

Download the NW Model Switcher zip archive from the link above
2. Open the archive/unpack it, and then open (double-click) the "nw_model_switcher.bat" file
3. In the new black window that will open, you will have options for the model that you want,
and another option to check the connected device, but we'll get to them in a next step
4. Connect your player to your computer using the USB cable, and enable the Mass Storage mode
5. It's recommended that you use the "Check connected device" option, just to make sure that the
device is connected and identified properly by the tool

1591061005224.png 1591060929354.png

The tool should show the name of the current connected device, as well as the current
model. If the tool will detect that the current model is not the original one for the device,
you will get an option to restore the original model.

6. Press any key to return to the main menu (or press 2 and then Enter, depending on
the instructions shown by the tool) and then choose the model that you want.

If the change was successful, it will be confirmed by the tool, as seen in the screenshot
below. Additionally, from the main menu you could go again to the "Check connected device"
option and you should already see the current model as being the one you chose earlier.

1591061217547.png 1591061332914.png

7. At this point, you can either restart the device (you can hold the Power off button for 8
seconds for that) or even go and choose another model, in case you quickly change your mind.

8. After restarting the device, you will need to apply the stock tuning package for your device,
according to the new model that you chose.

You can find those in the same link as above (click), in the "Stock tunings" folder. For example,
if you switched your WM1A to WM1Z, you should download the "wm1_stock_sound_for_wm1_3.02.exe"
package, and apply it.

For this example, WM1A to WM1Z, you can also just download and apply the official firmware
from the Sony's website.

9. Enjoy your new sound.

At this stage, in case of a WM1A to WM1Z change, you could even go and apply WM1Z tunings
to your model changed WM1A, as your WM1A is now seen as a WM1Z.

Very impressive work @morgenstern09 thanks a lot for sharing such new abilities to tweak and trick our wm1 devices!

Just tried the dmp-z1 and heck yea it sounds slightly like a dmp haha with 1z twists 🙃🙂😍

Awaiting for your future innovations !

As of your fw, my favorite from you is the autumn it has a nice warm sound and also has a touch of good musicality. Well balanced bold tasty sound!

Jun 4, 2020 at 9:30 PM Post #38,931 of 45,723
So the 1Z receives the Bluetooth signal from the 1A and then then I output through the IER-Z1R. Makes sense. Sorry for giving everyone a headache. Every person has a different circumstance no matter what. But from I have read, I have seen no one else Complain about the clamp force and the weight of the MDR-Z1R and Z7M2 cause neck pain and dizziness because they compress so much. If someone can prove me otherwise, I would prefer that

Right, it’s simply a way to compare your phone AAC codex with another situation which should (and does) sound better on all accounts. Obviously your not going to be streaming Bluetooth to your 1Z from a phone, but the test goes to show you the limits of your hearing and the reality of Apple AAC file transfer quality. Also giving you a clue to the sound on the IER-Z1R may delineate the character to be noticed on other headphones in Bluetooth. Basically you know what artifacts to listen for when testing.

I did it first as I wanted to hear LDAC and only had Apple senders around.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2020 at 10:32 PM Post #38,932 of 45,723
Thats the musicalists in the finest tuning? Will I sign 🙃🙂 and my 1z will dance 😛😜
If you like musical, you have to try vinyl tuning from him. It's the best of his fw for musical man :wink:

Jun 4, 2020 at 10:40 PM Post #38,933 of 45,723
If you like musical, you have to try vinyl tuning from him. It's the best of his fw for musical man :wink:

There is so much fw now to try haha we get lost!
We need to create an encyclopedia now as for fw dedication only lmao

Wiki my firmwares .com lmao

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2020 at 11:44 PM Post #38,934 of 45,723
Love this pairing :)

48F55A7D-B83B-4B19-9F07-C244CFFA9718.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2020 at 11:49 PM Post #38,935 of 45,723
Jun 5, 2020 at 12:52 AM Post #38,937 of 45,723
Well I'm on my last bar of battery life. :slight_smile: Does anyone know if there is some sort of "low battery" indication that should let me know when to charge, or should I just charge immediately when the battery indicator is on it's last bar?

Jun 5, 2020 at 1:33 AM Post #38,939 of 45,723
Well I'm on my last bar of battery life. :slight_smile: Does anyone know if there is some sort of "low battery" indication that should let me know when to charge, or should I just charge immediately when the battery indicator is on it's last bar?
Once you use it, eventually the battery will flash and indicate to charge it. I think it’s safe to play it up to the point it starts flashing

Jun 5, 2020 at 1:39 AM Post #38,940 of 45,723
I think a pretty underrated feature of the 1A/1Z/ZX300 is the BT Reciever Mode. Sounds alright and lets you connect your smartphone + streaming service. Has LDAC too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back