SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 3, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #38,851 of 45,723
Change the firmware to 3.01,and be careful with your ears, 120 with high gain in fidelio is to much, only if the music you play is recorded at a really low volume, I have the x2hr and in my 1Z 100 volume is more than enough in normal gain, maybe your taste for earing things loud has damage your earing, earing very loud especially with in ear phones is very bad for your earing

Jun 3, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #38,852 of 45,723
Change the firmware to 3.01,and be careful with your ears, 120 with high gain in fidelio is to much, only if the music you play is recorded at a really low volume, I have the x2hr and in my 1Z 100 volume is more than enough in normal gain, maybe your taste for earing things loud has damage your earing, earing very loud especially with in ear phones is very bad for your earing

Which 3.0.1? There many of them

Jun 3, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #38,854 of 45,723
Thanks for the replies!! Where would I find the firmwares to download? And would changing to J region change the language of my player?

EDIT:
To download any of the older firmware you just need to replace the firmware version number in the latest firmware download link at Sony site for the version desired

That is:

http://walkman.update.sony.net/fw/pc/WM1/NW-WM1_V3_02.exe
http://walkman.update.sony.net/fw/pc/WM1/NW-WM1_V3_01.exe
http://walkman.update.sony.net/fw/pc/WM1/NW-WM1_V1_20.exe

...etc

Nevermind, found this!

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #38,855 of 45,723
https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_input_dts

I don’t downmix any multitrack files, but everything else. Meaning with the plugins you can transpose 24bit to 16bit or 320kbps. With Foobar2000 you simply find the plugins and highlight the tracks and choose quick convert. Add and name a file and put the tracks into a folder. You can make SACD into FLAC.....basically make anything play on the 1Z.

Thanks, I will check it out!

To my knowledge no DAP has the ability to downmix multi channel files. I don’t see how that would be possible, given the need for an arbitrary assignment of the remainder of the channels in the stereo spectrum.

Actually, the Cowon Plenues do it (or at least the Plenue 1 and the Plenue 2)... I don't know how exactly, but I have been ripping my music blu-rays in both stereo and multichannel versions in the last weeks, and both my Plenues play the files well (and indicate that they are downmixing when playing the multichannel versions - meaning that they recognize the different channels and process them in some way, as opposed to simply taking the 2 "main" channels and playing only those)...

The results are always interesting... sometimes I like the stereo version better, sometimes I like the downmixed multichannel one better...

Jun 3, 2020 at 9:07 PM Post #38,857 of 45,723
I see people in the ZX507 thread stating that is is not in the same league at the WM1A (my paraphrase).
I entered a hole fight with a user that stated that zx507 was so much better than 1A and that it was so piercing to him that he couldent stand it... and he bought two of them if you search you will find my answer to him probably he was on U region stock 2.0 or 3.0 poor soul if he had known J region tames the high so much he wouldnt have argued me to the point of being insulting... also I suspect there was something weird about his gear (iem)....

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2020 at 9:09 PM Post #38,858 of 45,723
Hey everyone so after receiving and updating my WM1A to 3.02 I've tested it out and it sounds pretty expansive with my Periodic Audio Be's but when using my Fidelio X2's with it I realized that the sound is not expansive but in fact kind of narrow in comparison, the sibilant nature of the X2's really show as well. I am also finding that I have to increased the volume to about 120 and sometimes I need to use High Gain to get the volume loud enough with some vinyl hi res flacs that have, but at that point I can clearly hear the noise floor of the songs. What I've noticed is that while I can get the sound loud enough to hear, the notes of every sound I hear, be it drums, voices, guitars, sound VERY thin lacking body and texture that I am used to with the X2's when plugged through my Walkman CD player or even my computer. This lack of body adds to a sense of narrowness to the "soundstage" making everything sound slightly further away without any sense of engagement with the notes. The sound with the X2's is very clean but just not engaging, immersive, or fun, which is what I am used to with the X2's. The Periodic Audio Be's on the other hand sound just fine, although I still have to get the volume to around 100-110 to drive them to the volume I like. Could these problems simply be due to the lack of power of the unbalanced output? I would really appreciate someone's opinion as I really do like this player, I just don't understand why it makes my Fidelio X2's sound so anemic when it comes to resolution and texture. I do apologize for the lengthy post, just would like to get some input on how to improve my sound with the Fidelio X2's if that is at all possible.

I personally have never liked the stock 1A with 3.02. Yet 3.02 was an amazing revolution to the sound of the 1Z. These first early ideas came with both players being Japan Export Models in “U” region.

Later I found changing the players to “J” region made them both slightly warmer, but added something else great too? I can’t actually describe it?

But now with all the modification from third party firmware, there is the ability to make the 1A take on many “tones”. These tones are a departure from your stock 1A with 3.02 that will allow slightly less brightness. Though this whole thing is a quest for a personal desired tone along with the synergy from the combinations of IEM, player and firmware.

In ending due to the added warmth of “J” I now use a variation of 3.02 which is named Jupiter2 in “J” region. The end result is a slightly less bright result. And while the multitude of firmwares out there along with EQ can add bass and subdue a hot treble; there is also a magic that 3.02 brings to the table. I totally think it’s a big soundstage?

Jun 3, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #38,859 of 45,723
Well, to be honest with you, when I compared stock 1A with my beloved WM1Z Ultimate K Mod both in Solis, I decided to sell my WM1Z.
There is definitely a difference that I could spot blindly in the tones, intensity and weight of the music, but I'm sure we can work on that with a full internal mod : caps, gold wiring, shielding.
so you like better your 1A than moded Z have you tried Jupiter 3.01 T1? also you like your 1A more than your stock 1Z when it was stock??

Jun 3, 2020 at 9:28 PM Post #38,860 of 45,723
Hey everyone so after receiving and updating my WM1A to 3.02 I've tested it out and it sounds pretty expansive with my Periodic Audio Be's but when using my Fidelio X2's with it I realized that the sound is not expansive but in fact kind of narrow in comparison, the sibilant nature of the X2's really show as well. I am also finding that I have to increased the volume to about 120 and sometimes I need to use High Gain to get the volume loud enough with some vinyl hi res flacs that have, but at that point I can clearly hear the noise floor of the songs. What I've noticed is that while I can get the sound loud enough to hear, the notes of every sound I hear, be it drums, voices, guitars, sound VERY thin lacking body and texture that I am used to with the X2's when plugged through my Walkman CD player or even my computer. This lack of body adds to a sense of narrowness to the "soundstage" making everything sound slightly further away without any sense of engagement with the notes. The sound with the X2's is very clean but just not engaging, immersive, or fun, which is what I am used to with the X2's. The Periodic Audio Be's on the other hand sound just fine, although I still have to get the volume to around 100-110 to drive them to the volume I like. Could these problems simply be due to the lack of power of the unbalanced output? I would really appreciate someone's opinion as I really do like this player, I just don't understand why it makes my Fidelio X2's sound so anemic when it comes to resolution and texture. I do apologize for the lengthy post, just would like to get some input on how to improve my sound with the Fidelio X2's if that is at all possible.
I will reply you in private

Jun 3, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #38,861 of 45,723
Looks like the Dynamic Normalizer is the way to go. Everything else can stay as is. Should be good enough to enjoy and getting a little extra battery. Can anyone else answer the Battery Care question?

And my final one and I'm done asking, is there a limit to the MicroSD card? Would it be able to manage more than 512GB, possibly 1TB?
Just never leave it plugged in... don start plug it in and detaching it, just use it normally and set the turn off function to the max so if you forget i will turn off many users never turn it off i leave off all the time.. so

Jun 3, 2020 at 9:39 PM Post #38,862 of 45,723
Just never leave it plugged in... don start plug it in and detaching it, just use it normally and set the turn off function to the max so if you forget i will turn off many users never turn it off i leave off all the time.. so
Meaning you always turn it off when you don’t use it? Am I correct on that?

Jun 3, 2020 at 10:46 PM Post #38,864 of 45,723
So is it bad to leave it in sleep mode for too long? Should we turn it off before bed? Also If I have it plugged in while I am editing tags of files stored on the internal storage of the player, would it be ok to do so considering I have enabled the option to "charge player up to 90%"? Will this option stop charging the player after 90% has been reached? Thanks!

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2020 at 10:47 PM Post #38,865 of 45,723
XDA Developers site is the palce for android custom rom support. What I like about the threads for the roms and devices is on the first main page it has links for accessories, roms, guides etc.
As HeadFi has a different set up perhaps the person who started the thread may be able to add the links to the bottom of the first original post of this thread for the firmwares, tuning mods, region change tool etc to save everyone asking for the links as even using the search function for an almost 39,000 post thread is a mission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back