SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 5, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #3,871 of 45,723
Nomax if you are mainly after power and sound quality obviously get a Lotoo Paw Gold : 500 mW @ 32 ohm. Definitely will drive all your headphones.

Isn't LPG Class A amplification ? And the battery won't even come close to Walkman WM. Class A efficiency is only 30%, and class D is 90%...hell...if done right....100%. That means if we are talking efficiency alone, the 250mW per channel could be multiplied by 3X times to class A. Logically would be 750mW per channel from WM Walkman in comparison to class A :D.

Class D wiki

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Class-D_amplifier

Class A

http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/amplifier/amp_5.html

If you listen to DSD 256 especially in balanced mode on the WM series Walkmans battery life will not be longer then 15 hours, an maybe shorter if you go full volume.The Paw Gold is the only one that can deliver the promised playback time at full volume on DSD 5.6 MHz.

Nov 5, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #3,872 of 45,723
So i will get the Dap from my Friend at Sony tomorrow for few weeks.......i will try it.....i mean for 3300 Euros,a Dap should have enough power to drive all Headphones EASY!!!!!Yes K812/Utopia i think its no problem,but HD800S&HE1000 will be be a Problem......same Problem with my AK380 COPPER.....but with the Copper Amp its great,i can drive all Over Ears

I will report you on Monday or Tuesady....is it worth or not worth the money

NOMAX

Nov 5, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #3,873 of 45,723
Nov 5, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #3,874 of 45,723
So i will get the Dap from my Friend at Sony tomorrow for few weeks.......i will try it.....i mean for 3300 Euros,a Dap should have enough power to drive all Headphones EASY!!!!!Yes K812/Utopia i think its no problem,but HD800S&HE1000 will be be a Problem......same Problem with my AK380 COPPER.....but with the Copper Amp its great,i can drive all Over Ears

I will report you on Monday or Tuesady....is it worth or not worth the money

NOMAX

Unless it has the Euro capped.

Nov 5, 2016 at 11:07 PM Post #3,875 of 45,723
Listening to the 1Z, on the Tralucent Plus5/Uber Too cable combo. Thoroughly enjoyable even at this early stage. And out of the SE output. Excellent rich and textured sonics. Pushes the boundaries of what is possible with the small form factor.

I only have one question: what are the requirements for album art? About 10% of my album art doesn't seem to display.

Mike, any thoughts on this? Seeing that you've been playing with it longer. :)

Nov 5, 2016 at 11:56 PM Post #3,876 of 45,723
Listening to the 1Z, on the Tralucent Plus5/Uber Too cable combo. Thoroughly enjoyable even at this early stage. And out of the SE output. Excellent rich and textured sonics. Pushes the boundaries of what is possible with the small form factor.

I only have one question: what are the requirements for album art? About 10% of my album art doesn't seem to display.

Mike, any thoughts on this? Seeing that you've been playing with it longer.
smily_headphones1.gif

Check my walkman tips and tricks thread to convert th epics to JPEG or reconvert progressive jpegs to baseline ones

http://www.head-fi.org/t/759006/sony-walkman-tips-and-tricks

Nov 6, 2016 at 12:32 AM Post #3,877 of 45,723

Hey Kiats, how are you finding the WM1Z against your AK380Cu? Would like to know what you think. :)

Nov 6, 2016 at 12:36 AM Post #3,878 of 45,723
Nov 6, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #3,879 of 45,723
If you listen to DSD 256 especially in balanced mode on the WM series Walkmans battery life will not be longer then 15 hours, an maybe shorter if you go full volume.The Paw Gold is the only one that can deliver the promised playback time at full volume on DSD 5.6 MHz.

What's the playback time for the Paw Gold?  It only says 11 hours on the site but nothing about format or load, whereas Sony does indeed say 13 hours for native DSD on balance with a 16ohm load in direct source mode.  

That and the Paw Gold has a 6000mAh battery, the Sony only has a 1800mAh battery.  Tech wise, Sony wins whereas Paw Gold feels more like a brute force approach. 

Nov 6, 2016 at 12:40 AM Post #3,880 of 45,723
Hey Kiats, how are you finding the WM1Z against your AK380Cu? Would like to know what you think. :)

It's early days yet. But similar sonics. At this early stage, AK380CU seems to have wider soundstage and more air. But as I always maintain, that's typical of AK DAPs. But the flip side is it's thinner sounding. Whereas the 1Z sounds a tad denser and deeper.

Of course, it's only been a few hours in. :) Aso take it with a pinch of salt.

If the Q is whether one is going away: I don't think so. Sufficiently different to me. Besides, the 1Z's battery life means it will likely follow me on my travels.

Nov 6, 2016 at 3:38 AM Post #3,881 of 45,723
I'm interested in the resale value which IMHO will not be good. In two years time when the replacement Daps be available, the standard base storage might be 256GB for the new '1A' causing the value of the current 1Z to sink like a brick in water. It's the price you pay for the top model, perceived better SQ, extra memory and bling factor. Caveat emptor.

It is a well known fact that digital equipment only goes down in value over time. Unless it's some rare bird with both secret sauce and limited production. Not the case here, not for AK not for most things...

Nov 6, 2016 at 3:40 AM Post #3,882 of 45,723

Not to be a wise guy but are you quoting from empirical evidence (ie you've got one and have tested) or from guessing?

Nov 6, 2016 at 3:44 AM Post #3,883 of 45,723
I'm sure the W1ma sounds good. Of course there will be an improvement, but I just wanted clarification of the magnitude of the difference. Its just financially I'm on the ropes because.....someone offered a mint zx2 for 500 Dollars. I think its a steal so I'm taking it for now, but then the thought of the W1MA creeped in. Going to the Sony Store and getting WM1a is $1200 plus 8 percent New York sales tax is about 1300 dollars. Then for the andromedas I would try to have to get hands on the 4.4mm kimber kable for mmcx. That's around 200 or so? So we are talking 1500 Dollars vs 500 Dollars. Of course there is the law of diminishing returns but for me almost 3x the price for like 3% difference is a bit harsh. That's why I'm trying more detailed impressions from people who have heard both so I can make an informed decision. If the difference is most definitely noticeable like going ZX2 SE to TRRS, I wouldn't mind spending the extra money.

Advice if you choose to listen. Never ever let this hobby put you into a situation where you are on the ropes financially...

Nov 6, 2016 at 4:41 AM Post #3,884 of 45,723
Not to be a wise guy but are you quoting from empirical evidence (ie you've got one and have tested) or from guessing?

That number is from Sony's specs as I remember

Nov 6, 2016 at 5:02 AM Post #3,885 of 45,723

Yes had more then one and test it myself.Read on the Lotoo China website about the internal clock that measures the battery left in real time.It is very precise so what's it says in the screen is how much you have left according to your sample rate .
As soon the class A amplifier is on takes lot if energy.
If the player was wicker the battery life would have lasted a very long time.
They focused on power and detailed punchy sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back