SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 13, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #36,197 of 45,723
my impression where with all U models at canjam 2020
NAMM 2017 here. Maybe I should go for a second visit. Want to try Fourte Noir and their u12t with DD when it's out.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #36,198 of 45,723
NAMM 2017 here. Maybe I should go for a second visit. Want to try Fourte Noir and their u12t with DD when it's out.

Noir is special edition only 500 in the entire world and they are all sold :)

Only way to get one is to buy second hand, I got mine for a sublime price :ksc75smile:

Apr 13, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #36,199 of 45,723
Damn! Lucky you. Take good care of it. :ksc75smile:

Apr 13, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #36,200 of 45,723
Apr 13, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #36,201 of 45,723
I totally understand as many share your opinion. But i found Solaris has a weak bass to me. That dd is definitely underperforming compared with the same driver in Atlas.
plus the treble is too bright for me, in poor recording It's unforgiving.
Haven't listened to Solaris SE yet so don't know if they sound different. When i bought and sold Solaris the SE is not out yet.
I've found that the Solaris and SE are very cable sensitive. They are also sensitive to firmware versions on the Sony's.

For example the best all over sound for the Solaris and stock WM1A is Region J, Jupiter T3 and Effect Eros II+ 8 wire balanced. On the tracks that have bass it delivers and the treble is not as bright. I had been using the ALO Gold 16 but switched to the Eros II+ after the planets launched :wink:. I found that the bass had been neutered with the Gold 16 and was too bright. I prefer an analog/warm sound. If I get bored I might try some other planets on this combo.

Then for the Solaris SE and stock WM1Z I'm still rolling cables and firmware but sticking on Region J for remote support instead of E. Right now I'm on Mars T3 with DHC Clone Fusion. I was previously on Jupiter T3. Tonight I'm going to test DHC Clone Silver to see if it improves the mids tonight with Mars as I like it's bass and highs. I found that Solis T5 and Clone Silver was a bad match, way too bright and harsh. Clone Fusion was better but missed the bass I heard on the WM1A. So that why I'm rolling firmware.

BTW, when I first posted my impressions of the SE against the OG I stated that the bass is different in the SE in that it is now much more detailed and cleaner than the OG but still there.

Apr 13, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #36,202 of 45,723
That is odd with mine , but my windows machine complains of drive or location not found in the middle of writing while inside my 1A, every time I want to write new files to SD card must use the card slot of my laptop
Which 1TB card? I have the the Sandisk purchased thru Amazon and never had any issue using macOS direct connect to the computer.

Apr 13, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #36,204 of 45,723
Ssndisk extreme PRO 1TB purchased in SATURN GmbH.
Same card. But, I have heard there were knockoff Sandisk cards being sold. Could you have gotten a knockoff?

Apr 13, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #36,205 of 45,723
Apr 13, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #36,206 of 45,723
Same card. But, I have heard there were knockoff Sandisk cards being sold. Could you have gotten a knockoff?

I've played around with fake SD cards just to know what to look for. In all cases, writing is not the problem. Your file explorer will even show all the files to make you think you have a full spec capacity. It's when you try to read the files you find out everything is corrupted because files have been overwritten because the true size is much smaller. This is why the scam works so well to the average consumer.

The issue from the OP could be a bad cable if direct from PC works fine.

Apr 13, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #36,207 of 45,723
I've played around with fake SD cards just to know what to look for. In all cases, writing is not the problem. Your file explorer will even show all the files to make you think you have a full spec capacity. It's when you try to read the files you find out everything is corrupted because files have been overwritten because the true size is much smaller. This is why the scam works so well to the average consumer.

The issue from the OP could be a bad cable if direct from PC works fine.
Yeah, I have it filled to maximum capacity (before needing to convert those DSF files). Perhaps my cable or my laptop isn't just old USB 3.0 (Sony VAIO with i5 4200U from 2014)

Apr 13, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #36,208 of 45,723
I've got a fake 32GB one but from a bazaar market. SATURN is a serious store just like BestBuY in mexico and the USA

Apr 13, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #36,209 of 45,723
Yeah, I have it filled to maximum capacity (before needing to convert those DSF files). Perhaps my cable or my laptop isn't just old USB 3.0 (Sony VAIO with i5 4200U from 2014)

LOL, you have one of the very last Sony laptops ever produced since they exited the PC business in 2014. It may even become collectible since there were many fans of the VAIO line.

Edit - looks like VAIO line was sold off and still being sold, but not from Sony.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #36,210 of 45,723
LOL, you have one of the very last Sony laptops ever produced since they exited the PC business in 2014. It may even become collectible since there were many fans of the VAIO line.

Edit - looks like VAIO line was sold off and still being sold, but not from Sony.
Love it as hell, still snappy fast (Sandisk SSD), for visual studio and android emulation or windows virtual machine works like a charm (processor has built-in Virtualization)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back