SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 12, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #34,231 of 45,723
And @gearofwar is asking to trade in his modified 1A for stock 1Z. There are also a couple 1A with MS mod being listed I think
Yeah, actually mine is a bit more of variety, I had manually replaced the supercap in there as well as replacing solder in certain places that are not the list. I will modify it again to different cap and wires this summer

I'm still debating if I really need a 1z to go over the modding the process again and in the end, it will sound different from 1A which might or might not hit my liking. But for someone who wants to trade stock 1z for my 1a + cash, it is a no brainer, if they don't want to spend over more. The weight of 1z did leave me bad impression in beginning especially using it on the go

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2020 at 5:56 PM Post #34,232 of 45,723
Yeah, actually mine is a bit more of variety, I had manually replaced the supercap in there as well as replacing solder in certain places that are not the list. I will modify it again to different cap and wires this summer

I'm still debating if I really need a 1z to go over the modding the process again and in the end, it will sound different from 1A which might or might not hit my liking. But for someone who wants to trade stock 1z for my 1a + cash, it is a no brainer, if they don't want to spend over more. The weight of 1z did leave me bad impression in beginning especially using it on the go
Yes, the weight is what would bother me as well. What supercap did you end up using ? I was looking for upgrades but couldn’t find a worthy contenders

Mar 12, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #34,233 of 45,723
well my wm1a just came in the mail and damn am i loving it! going to try chaging the region code to japan later today. i wanted to know if anyone here has a pair, if Andromedas hiss badly with the wm1a? need to upgrade my IEMs next and ive been between the Andros and the Moondrop S8. (for electronic music and classic rock) sorry if this has been asked before!
I don't hear any hissing at normal volumes on a 1A running Solis. You will find that with Solis you can hear the details without having to turn up the volume :)

Mar 12, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #34,235 of 45,723
Well, hisses is the nature’s of S-Master. But it can only be observed when you crank volume to deafening level in balanced mode, or without music playing.

However, I would trade some low noises for extremely analog sound quality. I rather have these weighty note, powerful punches, Dense timbres...than say thin and weak energy such as SP2000

If you crave everything Walkman has and more, together with 0 noises or hisses, and powerful driving forces...DMP Z1!!! Lol

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #34,236 of 45,723
Call me crazy, but after trying Solis and ultimate etc I still find the J version plus the 3.01 fw one of the best

Try U + j3zu !

Mar 12, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #34,237 of 45,723
Is very strange when you talk about the thin sound of the sp2000 the sp2000 at least the copper version is everithing but thin, I say more, not even with Solis the 1Z has more body than the sp2000, IMO they are diferent sounds and complement each other

Mar 12, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #34,238 of 45,723
Is very strange when you talk about the thin sound of the sp2000 the sp2000 at least the copper version is everithing but thin, I say more, not even with Solis the 1Z has more body than the sp2000, IMO they are diferent sounds and complement each other
Yeah, I don’t doubt it. Judging by how firmware can be tweaked for each player identity, the Copper may have thicker sounding. However, I still rather have my WM1A

Stock 1Z and mod firmware may not compete SP2K, Hardware modified 1Z/1A is a world different. Remember that my 1A is extensively modified all around

Mod firmware on Stock 1A/1Z can’t merely shine 50% of it capability’s.

Also, J region (Japan) is what the mod firmware were tuned on.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #34,239 of 45,723
Try U + j3zu !
Don't get me wrong, but what is happening with 1Z or 1A is like transforming Mona lisa in to a blond with blue eyes, for some could be better but is not Mona Lisa anymore... The 1Z is a Masterpiece, he born has a masterpiece and still is even after this years, I will go only to "J", just that, but has allways I respect who has not the same opinion

Mar 12, 2020 at 6:39 PM Post #34,240 of 45,723
Don't get me wrong, but what is happening with 1Z or 1A is like transforming Mona lisa in to a blond with blue eyes, for some could be better but is not Mona Lisa anymore... The 1Z is a Masterpiece, he born has a masterpiece and still is even after this years, I will go only to "J", just that, but has allways I respect who has not the same opinion
That is a wrong Analogy. Imagine what WM1A and WM1Z is, like a Civic SI and a Civic Type R. Are you saying that people don’t modify their Civic with larger turbo , injectors, intakes, exhaust and better tunes ?

They do, because they are doing it in a “Technically correct” ways of doing it. Now, if you are only putting Spoiler, body kit, stickers to your Civic, then considered it to be a “Mona Lisa with blond hair....or lipstick on a pig”

I will repeat this. The WM1Z is a modified WM1A

1/ better chassis
2/ better internal wires
3/ better resistors
4/ better capacitors
5/ better firmware

Now Sony Spelled it out for you. If you are technically potent, you can already know what to do to improve your WM1A or even Further your 1Z. If you don’t know what to do, then leave it to the pros. I will always recommend Fidelizer, Music Sanctuary, Cable Creators, Romni Audio.

If you are Not in for Modified player, then just wait for successor whenever it comes out.
If you don’t like mod firmware then use stock firmware.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2020 at 6:42 PM Post #34,241 of 45,723

Its not a question of mona or madona or britney lol.

I find U smoothes dont the jupiter 3 as it can get treble high with J region so no mona for me thanks.
While in U region things go more to a normal and easier way.

J + solist5 yea that goes very well together! Cause solis is less aggressive!

So if u think changing region degrades the 1z sound well it is not, just changes where it emphasizes the frequencies...

Mar 12, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #34,242 of 45,723
Yes and them the modified type r wants to compete with a Ferrari and the engine burn,that's not the case because we already have the Ferrari of the Daps, all in audio is subjective, I don't believe that sony with all the knowledge and money to make research made the Walkman with limitations, we have to think about the extreme sound quality and the battery life that is unmatched by any TOTL dap, does the modified 1z has the same battery life? I think that how the 1Z and 1A sounds is intentional and has the Sony DNA

Mar 12, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #34,243 of 45,723
Yes and them the modified type r wants to compete with a Ferrari and the engine burn,that's not the case because we already have the Ferrari of the Daps, all in audio is subjective, I don't believe that sony with all the knowledge and money to make research made the Walkman with limitations, we have to think about the extreme sound quality and the battery life that is unmatched by any TOTL dap, does the modified 1z has the same battery life? I think that how the 1Z and 1A sounds is intentional and has the Sony DNA
it's much much limited intentionally. truth be told

Mar 12, 2020 at 6:54 PM Post #34,244 of 45,723
Have you tried a modified 1Z or 1A ? If not, speculate and speaking against it is against the rule of the forum itself.

However, I will still respect your look at stock players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back