SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 3, 2020 at 11:37 PM Post #33,211 of 45,723
E is not EU. E is for some south/east Asian countries. so E is universal

Ok me to I have E so even if I switched to CA I still need to use the universal in the fw right?

Mar 3, 2020 at 11:55 PM Post #33,213 of 45,723
My Japan-NW-WM1Z has it's "internationalised" for the English language menu option with scsitool. I'm not certain if this was pre-rockbox?

Would I be using the JP model version still or Universal?
That's a tricky question as it's too specific. U may try either, it won't hurt anything, just the installation won't initiate if incompatible

Mar 4, 2020 at 12:04 AM Post #33,214 of 45,723
To be honest, I was initially not convinced how firmware changes will affect the sound.

I a/bed Jupiter T2 and Mercury T2 and was quite convinced by the changes. Sticking to jupiter for the time being

Mar 4, 2020 at 12:26 AM Post #33,215 of 45,723
I got a question it is not related to 1z or 1a.
I will receive my zx507 in a day and wanted to play with regions there to. Since this tuning isbt available for the android version...if for example downloading firmware from different sites from sony like for each different regions on official site. Would that be possible? To change your region that way?

Or it would make no difference?
I would love to be able to do the same with zx507 change and try different regions to (

Mar 4, 2020 at 12:47 AM Post #33,216 of 45,723
JVC FX850 really surprised me. It sounds so good and grand with Mercury T3. It scales extremely well; clarity & resolution better than EE Phantom, It sounds grand, bass extremely physical, treble is high, timbre spot on. It doesn't feel dark and there's good width and depth. I'm using it with Alo Gold 16 iem cable and modded 1Z.

Mar 4, 2020 at 12:56 AM Post #33,217 of 45,723
I got a question it is not related to 1z or 1a.
I will receive my zx507 in a day and wanted to play with regions there to. Since this tuning isbt available for the android version...if for example downloading firmware from different sites from sony like for each different regions on official site. Would that be possible? To change your region that way?

Or it would make no difference?
I would love to be able to do the same with zx507 change and try different regions to (

The 507 is Android based so probably none of this will work

Mar 4, 2020 at 12:57 AM Post #33,218 of 45,723
thanks for dropping mars I have a question. If you say that the firmware are tuned the same for 1z and 1a why are there different exe files for both of them?

There is a 1A and 1Z folder for each FW

Mar 4, 2020 at 1:05 AM Post #33,219 of 45,723
There is a 1A and 1Z folder for each FW
Yes. So my question is why 2 different folders when they are the same for 1z and 1A. Wouldn’t one exe file suffice?

Mar 4, 2020 at 1:14 AM Post #33,220 of 45,723
Yes. So my question is why 2 different folders when they are the same for 1z and 1A. Wouldn’t one exe file suffice?

Because there are different tunings to the fw to get the same sound from 1A and 1Z

Mar 4, 2020 at 2:50 AM Post #33,221 of 45,723
Because there are different tunings to the fw to get the same sound from 1A and 1Z
Ahh now I see the light. Thanks so much for the explanation bro.

Mar 4, 2020 at 3:04 AM Post #33,222 of 45,723
I dont know but for me with my tia trio on CA and custom fw 3.02 is just insane nectarphilia flowing in the blood lol.

I feel extremely expansive sound stage very holographic, an amazing bass response tight and visceral. Mids are like dmp1.02.
With an open mind I reverted back to stock 3.02 with region CA, it doesn't impress me but I feel it's a lot better than region CH (China). The staging is very large, but not as large as either mods profiles. Tonal balance is aligned with somewhere between Mercury and Jupiter, at T1 level. If u have a monster setup u will benefit much more at T3 though (or even T4 for my own good) with unimaginable dynamics and resolutions.
FYI, Whitigir personally runs Mercury T4 in JP and Im rocking with Mars T4 in JP (or Jupiter T4 in CA). This tier is meaningless to the majority out there so are not available.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2020 at 3:17 AM Post #33,223 of 45,723
Another interesting find for region CA is that, in CA I prefer Jupiter T3 or T4 to Mars (too bassy); But when I tuned Mars in JP they were a great match
The bassy signature of region CA makes Jupiter more fun / exciting for metal music. But overall Jupiter + CA is still brighter / more balanced than Mars + JP. The FW mods play a bigger role than region codes

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2020 at 3:20 AM Post #33,224 of 45,723
Oh wow I was doing further more tests around and found Canadian region.

What a good balance between good bass and treble. Treble is not too sharp just spot on !
And bass is well controlled really juicy.

I feel like the Canadian CA version is one of the best.
It has the best balance between all frequency...

Try its CA

Been following this thread for a good while, some excellent work being done here. My WM1A is on stock 3.02 FW, flipped from CN to CA which also presents Sony's certificate for wireless transmission. The regional changes are slight, however discernible, flipping from CN to E was a big change. On my ZX300 E is good, on the WM1A a little too harsh in the treble CA retains the base and smoothens out the treble. May try J, although enjoying CA as it does feel to be the most balanced, E is more V shaped, CN the bass is tamed a touch.

IEM's
Dunu 3001 Pro, Campfire Andromeda (V3), Westone W40 & AKG N40. Next up hopefully Campfire Polaris (V2) & Sony 1ER-Z1R

Q-6

Mar 4, 2020 at 3:41 AM Post #33,225 of 45,723
With an open mind I reverted back to stock 3.02 with region CA, it doesn't impress me but I feel it's a lot better than region CH (China). The staging is very large, but not as large as either mods profiles. Tonal balance is aligned with somewhere between Mercury and Jupiter, at T1 level. If u have a monster setup u will benefit much more at T3 though (or even T4 for my own good) with unimaginable dynamics and resolutions.
FYI, Whitigir personally runs Mercury T4 in JP and Im rocking with Mars T4 in JP (or Jupiter T4 in CA). This tier is meaningless to the majority out there so are not available.

Flipping from CN to E I found to be jarring as the difference was very obvious, CA feels to be more balanced. Makes sense that Sony does have regional tuning and better still we can switch it to our individual taste. Firmware I'll leave stock for the present time as I'm fine with it and want to settle on the best region for my taste, and my WM1A is need more time to fully settle down.

Stock WM1A on 3.02

IEM's
Dunu 3001 Pro, Campfire Andromeda (V3), Westone W40 & AKG N40. Next up hopefully Campfire Polaris (V2) & Sony 1ER-Z1R

Q-6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back