SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 3, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #33,151 of 45,723
i will probably end up using WM1A - Tier 2J FWs 90% of my time (having a stock Japan WM1A) but what th hell i am gonna download all FWs , i may end up buying a 1Z maybe later, right ?

this thread is on fire , thanx guys (M&W)

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #33,152 of 45,723
Last year some Chinese enthusiastic worked out a way to modify firmwares and change their sound. ATM I won't dive into disclosing the technical specifics since it may be illegal and ultra troublesome to write, but the results are something profound. I will first elaborate on some basic principles.

Firmwares do affect sound (nonsense... we all know that). The firmwares of 1A/1Z provided to download all over the world are universal and totally identical (identical MD5 value). But there are TWO SETS of tuning codes to tune 1A/1Z separately, stored WITHIN THE SAME FIRMWARE. The firmware file simply identifies whether your device is 1A or 1Z then it applies the proprietary tunings accordingly. It reads the identification codes stored within the firmware and your devices as references to preceed the installation.

Secondly, firmware file contains two parts: the first part with the basic system functionalities, for example, the random / repeat buttons shown in now playing, introduced in 2.0; the usb dac / bt receiver modes introduced in 3.0, etc; The second part is the tuning codes, which are scattered in various sections of the firmware. We don't know how exactly the codes work, as they remain an encrypted black box. But we can switch the "box" between 1A and 1Z to alter each other sound. Thirdly and most importantly, the firmware of DMP-Z1 & ZX300 are of similar structure with slight differences of the functionality part, for example, DMP doesn't even has a skip button in the UI while 1Z does of course. HOWEVER, the tuning codes of DMP can be applied to 1A / 1Z perfectly fine.

Incorporating DMP's tuning, both 1A / 1Z enjoy a much expanded sound with better extension on both ends. With the new assets at hand, theoretically speaking, tuning codes can be switched and combined to approximate the desired sound profiles of many other DAPs. Yet the process was HIDEOUS, since it's a shot in the dark for modders to blindly test the wild combinations with our own ears. Thx to our Chinese pioneer, Deck24, who relentlessly keep experimenting the tunings with months of trials and errors, finally there are some results to be shared to the public.
Disclosure: Since the discovery of firmware tuning, I have been working with "the Step-Father of Walkman"@Whitigir to create and share a series of modded firmwares "in conspiracy". Theoretically speaking, each of these firmwares is a clear upgrade to your Walkman, but remember that your hardware limitations will play the bigger roles that scales up with the firmware performances.
The following firmware mods will bring about the sound signatures of DMP Z1 fine tuned for the Walkman. There will be differences as DMP Z1 and Walkman are too different in hardware engineering, sizes and implementations. If you are not happy with what you hear, please use the stock firmware, as there has been no known risk of damaging or bricking the player.
Both 1A and 1Z are tuned exactly and the same.
Four sound profiles were composed, tastefully and painstakingly. They are Mercury, Jupiter, Mars and Venus for you to choose from:

Among all these 4 profiles, we also divided each of them into 3 different Tiers for various levels of setups. You can choose freely for your own preference. So there are a whole combinations of 4x3=12 versions to choose from.

To put it in a nutshell, these firmwares are all about the SYNERGY with your hardware. The higher the Tier ranks, the better hardware scales, and the higher output power perceived (illusionary). Tier 3 of each profile may not fit the majority out there, although they are the most technically capable.
For better performances, please also change regional code into Japan.
Japanese model of 1A/1Z sounds different than the other region models. Generally speaking, JP tuning has smoother timbre, better bass texture and a tad deeper/larger soundstage.

How to identify the region your device originally subjects to

To obtain the Japanese tuning, simply run the Rockbox tool to change your region code to J. You can also find the Rockbox tool in the folder I shared.
How to change region code to "J" using Rockbox tool

P.S. You DON'T need to factory reset to activate J tuning! Don't reset or you will lose your clocking hours. Just restarting will suffice.
After changing to J, please run ANY firmwares again for your device to apply to the J FW. Restarting your device, u will find a new certificate item showing up at the bottom of setting's page, proving your FW is now the Japanese version. At the same time, u lose the ability to change language to others, but keeping your current language (such as English). Because Japanese FW initially doesn't support multi-language selection.

Upgrade methods: first make sure your device is on official 3.02. The mods are all based on the official 3.02, keeping all its vested functionalities. If u upgrade from any other official versions the installation will fail, though no harm will incur at all. The upgrading speed is much faster than official upgrade since only the tuning parts are being written in. The process is perfectly safe for your device, and you can always run the other mod to substitute, or revert back to the official FWs anytime by running their exe.

Choose the correct version corresponding with your device model to install. All devices except JP model and EU model should choose Universal. Changing regions will not effect the region your device originally subjects to. Unfortunately I cannot compile and maintain Mac versions.

Awesome and thankyou so much :darthsmile:

Mar 3, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #33,153 of 45,723
J2 :wink:

077A3215-4EDC-4F8A-B478-0E12070A5477.jpeg

D942DF0B-CE6A-4912-A280-9A6A9C7D0826.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #33,154 of 45,723
Wonderful! Matching screen and song lol
Last year some Chinese enthusiastic worked out a way to modify firmwares and change their sound. ATM I won't dive into disclosing the technical specifics since it may be illegal and ultra troublesome to write, but the results are something profound. I will first elaborate on some basic principles.

Firmwares do affect sound (nonsense... we all know that). The firmwares of 1A/1Z provided to download all over the world are universal and totally identical (identical MD5 value). But there are TWO SETS of tuning codes to tune 1A/1Z separately, stored WITHIN THE SAME FIRMWARE. The firmware file simply identifies whether your device is 1A or 1Z then it applies the proprietary tunings accordingly. It reads the identification codes stored within the firmware and your devices as references to preceed the installation.

Secondly, firmware file contains two parts: the first part with the basic system functionalities, for example, the random / repeat buttons shown in now playing, introduced in 2.0; the usb dac / bt receiver modes introduced in 3.0, etc; The second part is the tuning codes, which are scattered in various sections of the firmware. We don't know how exactly the codes work, as they remain an encrypted black box. But we can switch the "box" between 1A and 1Z to alter each other sound. Thirdly and most importantly, the firmware of DMP-Z1 & ZX300 are of similar structure with slight differences of the functionality part, for example, DMP doesn't even has a skip button in the UI while 1Z does of course. HOWEVER, the tuning codes of DMP can be applied to 1A / 1Z perfectly fine.

Incorporating DMP's tuning, both 1A / 1Z enjoy a much expanded sound with better extension on both ends. With the new assets at hand, theoretically speaking, tuning codes can be switched and combined to approximate the desired sound profiles of many other DAPs. Yet the process was HIDEOUS, since it's a shot in the dark for modders to blindly test the wild combinations with our own ears. Thx to our Chinese pioneer, Deck24, who relentlessly keep experimenting the tunings with months of trials and errors, finally there are some results to be shared to the public.
Disclosure: Since the discovery of firmware tuning, I have been working with "the Step-Father of Walkman"@Whitigir to create and share a series of modded firmwares "in conspiracy". Theoretically speaking, each of these firmwares is a clear upgrade to your Walkman, but remember that your hardware limitations will play the bigger roles that scales up with the firmware performances.
The following firmware mods will bring about the sound signatures of DMP Z1 fine tuned for the Walkman. There will be differences as DMP Z1 and Walkman are too different in hardware engineering, sizes and implementations. If you are not happy with what you hear, please use the stock firmware, as there has been no known risk of damaging or bricking the player.
Both 1A and 1Z are tuned exactly and the same.
Four sound profiles were composed, tastefully and painstakingly. They are Mercury, Jupiter, Mars and Venus for you to choose from:

Among all these 4 profiles, we also divided each of them into 3 different Tiers for various levels of setups. You can choose freely for your own preference. So there are a whole combinations of 4x3=12 versions to choose from.

To put it in a nutshell, these firmwares are all about the SYNERGY with your hardware. The higher the Tier ranks, the better hardware scales, and the higher output power perceived (illusionary). Tier 3 of each profile may not fit the majority out there, although they are the most technically capable.
For better performances, please also change regional code into Japan.
Japanese model of 1A/1Z sounds different than the other region models. Generally speaking, JP tuning has smoother timbre, better bass texture and a tad deeper/larger soundstage.

How to identify the region your device originally subjects to

To obtain the Japanese tuning, simply run the Rockbox tool to change your region code to J. You can also find the Rockbox tool in the folder I shared.
How to change region code to "J" using Rockbox tool

P.S. You DON'T need to factory reset to activate J tuning! Don't reset or you will lose your clocking hours. Just restarting will suffice.
After changing to J, please run ANY firmwares again for your device to apply to the J FW. Restarting your device, u will find a new certificate item showing up at the bottom of setting's page, proving your FW is now the Japanese version. At the same time, u lose the ability to change language to others, but keeping your current language (such as English). Because Japanese FW initially doesn't support multi-language selection.

Upgrade methods: first make sure your device is on official 3.02. The mods are all based on the official 3.02, keeping all its vested functionalities. If u upgrade from any other official versions the installation will fail, though no harm will incur at all. The upgrading speed is much faster than official upgrade since only the tuning parts are being written in. The process is perfectly safe for your device, and you can always run the other mod to substitute, or revert back to the official FWs anytime by running their exe.

Choose the correct version corresponding with your device model to install. All devices except JP model and EU model should choose Universal. Changing regions will not effect the region your device originally subjects to. Unfortunately I cannot compile and maintain Mac versions.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #33,156 of 45,723
Does anyone know if the K mod actually makes the sound flat compared to the original?
I let one guy demoed my 1A at Canjam NYC, my region was EU and he was telling me it's too flat

Mar 3, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #33,157 of 45,723
Does anyone know if the K mod actually makes the sound flat compared to the original?
I let one guy demoed my 1A at Canjam NYC, my region was EU and he was telling me it's too flat

different internal wires will bring different sound performances, it is like an interconnect cables. Then it depends on what is connecting toward to it that also count too....it is called synergies....then the gears being used.

But just don’t worry about it, myself as an example, I love references and Neutral, while @Morbideath loves a more V Shaped fun sounds...so you see why the Mars Tier 3 is not out yet ? Because it isn’t my preferences and so I don’t know how to properly cook it yet.

Stick to your preferences, because that is what making you yourself. Believe your ears and hearts and the beast from within

Don’t stop spending money though....it is expensive because it sound good

Mar 3, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #33,158 of 45,723
different internal wires will bring different sound performances, it is like an interconnect cables. Then it depends on what is connecting toward to it that also count too....it is called synergies....then the gears being used.

But just don’t worry about it, myself as an example, I love references and Neutral, while @Morbideath loves a more V Shaped fun sounds...so you see why the Mars Tier 3 is not out yet ? Because it isn’t my preferences and so I don’t know how to properly cook it yet.

Stick to your preferences, because that is what making you yourself. Believe your ears and hearts and the beast from within

Lol Whitigir and his honey words.

It’s true though, he is absolutely right! Hardware mod + firmware mod= better gears = even better audio bliss

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2020 at 1:25 PM Post #33,159 of 45,723
I am disappointed that the new firmware is named after planets after all my hard work in suggesting condiments names...

Seriously, can the mods or thread owners create a sticky that has the running list of latest firmware? I realize it's a bit of work on the firmware tuners but it's got to be less than answering each person who asks for the links. Thanks in advance!

Mar 3, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #33,160 of 45,723

You are absolutely right. Actually, I don't prefer reference or neutral signature but because I use a variety of iem that are opposite or emphasize on tonality, musicality that's why a transparent source is best for me. If i was to choose between HD800 and LCD2, i would pick LCD2 right away.
What would you recommend for the firmware in this case? I'm looking for a balanced sound signature emphasizing on naturalness

Mar 3, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #33,161 of 45,723

Was that you ? With 1a ?
On my right side I had the stock 1z )

U have let me try your moded 1a and it have been threw many adjustments retuning at Ms?

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #33,162 of 45,723
Was that you ? With 1a ?
On my right side I had the stock 1z )

U have let me try your moded 1a and it have been threw many adjustments retuning at Ms?
damn, I didn't expect you to be this close

Mar 3, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #33,163 of 45,723
So many firmwares (much appreciation to those involved!) and so many regions. My ears just can't get enough.

As the novice that I am, I've tried a few combinations but keep going back to my current favourite D1.02 with E region. On J region, D1.02 appeared to be too much for my setup - Stock WM1A, Andromedas (green), Moon audio silver dragon 4.4mm balanced - and was suffering some sibilance.

I haven't tried the latest planet firmwares - any recommendations from the knowledgeable folk on here given my gear?

Mar 3, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #33,164 of 45,723
Just tried M3ZU and J3ZU.
I thought I'd try M3ZU first, as I preferred a more neutral sound, and had previously liked the WM2Z FW. Figured I could drop down to the M2ZU or M1ZU if I found I did not like M3ZU. Initially, there were a couple of songs I found harsh, which after trying more, I realized that it was treating bad sources more harshly. I think this is one of the reasons that the stock Sony FW tuning is the way it is. It tries to do a decent job on all qualities of music, thus not maximizing what the hardware is capable of. I did enjoy what the stock FW could do with even low quality files, but am enjoying more what this M3ZU is able to bring out with better quality files. And not just DSD, but good quality hi-res, FLAC, AAC and MP3. I spent 90 mins, loving the sound it was bringing out. Fluid, detailed, never harsh(except on bad sources). A presence to vocals that I had not heard before. As people have commented, a "you are there" quality. Beautiful texture to all kinds of music, whether vocals, or piano, backing instruments, etc. What I was hearing was "musical", my highest goal, where everything comes together. Details, PRAT, stage. And you can imagine that you are able to feel the emotion the singer is putting into the song. Or a simple guitar chord can be so rich. That I spent 90 minutes without realizing, is a measure of how I was enjoying the music.
So I decided I did not need to try the tier 2 and 1, if I was enjoying the Mercury T3 this much.

I thought I had better try the other one, though, the J3ZU, guessing that I might find this to be "pushed" too much, from my previous feelings about the other modded FW.
WOW, I like this even more. Everything that I thought of the M3ZU, was more. Even closer to losing yourself in the music.

I previously gave up on describing the details of music, as I found myself not very good at it, and decided that I would just judge on whether the music pulled me in, so I just enjoyed it, so that I would judge the gestalt, without agonizing over the details. If it could be what I term "musical", and it could make me forget about analyzing, or what was wrong, good, etc., then that was good enough for me. And this is as close as I have found to that goal.

@Morbideath @Whitigir - You've achieved something magical with your current FWs. This J3ZU is pushing my setup to being able to provide music, and allowing me to forget about the system. That is the goal of all the changes, upgrades, mods, mistakes, etc., and this FW is a major step to that goal. And bringing my WM1Z to a level I had not previously seen.

I am using WM1Z, Romi Audio v4 (with Black Gate capacitors) mod, which is a pretty extensive mod in many areas. IER-Z1R, stock 4.4mm cable, Direct Source: ON

Mar 3, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #33,165 of 45,723
That’s the goal I believe; to lose yourself and enjoy your music.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back