SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 29, 2020 at 5:19 AM Post #32,881 of 45,723
I am liking the D1.01, not to much deviation from the stock 3.01. Still with thick body sq. Setting the region to J is also a prerequisite as the highs is to much for me to bear and present in every corner with region previously set to E using D1.02 and U1.02.

Feb 29, 2020 at 6:11 AM Post #32,883 of 45,723
Changed my stock WM1A to J region and reset all settings and then updated to D1.02. Do I need to do another reset after the firmware update?
U don't need to reset in the first place, though their website says so. Just a restart will suffice

Feb 29, 2020 at 6:27 AM Post #32,884 of 45,723
Just being curious, what did u mean by confusion? To me personally the reverbs exposed behind many parts of music is mind-blowing, never heard it like before

on the song "Save Some Love For Me" by Fourplay (Yes, please!) the bass line has a texture to it that gets lost with the fun mod as compared to other firmwares.
i will agree that there is a bit of holography going on with the fun mod, but i am so used to hearing a little bit of growl in that recurring bass line. maybe it will take some getting used to, but i tend to stay away from more aggressive presentations and more toward reference.

Feb 29, 2020 at 6:31 AM Post #32,885 of 45,723
on the song "Save Some Love For Me" by Fourplay (Yes, please!) the bass line has a texture to it that gets lost with the fun mod as compared to other firmwares.
i will agree that there is a bit of holography going on with the fun mod, but i am so used to hearing a little bit of growl in that recurring bass line. maybe it will take some getting used to, but i tend to stay away from more aggressive presentations and more toward reference.

Yes, i can totally see its bleeding bass decay burying textures, unless on very few setups.
That's the price of making fun, haha

Feb 29, 2020 at 7:28 AM Post #32,887 of 45,723
Has anyone tried the FW for the LPGT? Does that work for the regular LPG?

It’s not a fw FOR those players but a fw that emulates the sound of the LPGT

Feb 29, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #32,889 of 45,723
There can never be perfection :wink:. However, the mod firmware should be beyond what stock firmware can do. When you compare between mod firmware vs mod firmware, you will see the “trade off” that were used in tuning

It does not only happen to firmware alone but also hardware

It also happen to other brands as well and not only Sony

The Hardware limitations still existed, especially from DMP Z1 VS any WM Walkman.

It is great that you now can have the option to do whatever you want with you player eh ?

I will be honest that Musical is my Favorite . It is enjoyable and is well rounded all around between trade off and benefits

Feb 29, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #32,890 of 45,723
I am totally stuck on dmp1.02 fw that fw is soo good just love !
Today will try the new Jp version as I haven't heard my dap yet after changing my region , I also have the new pw 1960 cable so there will be so much new sound changes haha.

This is so amazing I am thankful to all of you guys who collaborated in the new fw updates. Thanks to you we now have 1z/z1 to such elevated level that its as equal as we just bought a brand new dap that is Dmp walkman portable dap :)

:angel::clap::hugging:

Feb 29, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #32,891 of 45,723
I have many lesser quality recordings, mostly underground metal stuffs, not to mention those low-fi black metal. some easy dirty EQ will do their justice.
They were not recorded properly in the first place, why so serious about their fidelity. Just cure distortion with distortions

I know I'm picky that way, but can't help it. Also hate EQ, probably because I'm lazy :)

Edit: BTW last night I changed region to J and wow, bass came back, now the thinner sounding recording sound better. It's all so good I'm almost scared of trying another FW, althought @Whitigir DMP portable Musical is calling me... :)

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #32,892 of 45,723
There can never be perfection :wink:. However, the mod firmware should be beyond what stock firmware can do. When you compare between mod firmware vs mod firmware, you will see the “trade off” that were used in tuning

It does not only happen to firmware alone but also hardware

It also happen to other brands as well and not only Sony

The Hardware limitations still existed, especially from DMP Z1 VS any WM Walkman.

It is great that you now can have the option to do whatever you want with you player eh ?

I will be honest that Musical is my Favorite . It is enjoyable and is well rounded all around between trade off and benefits

Those who listen genres focusing on Vocals should def give Musical a try. Mids and Vocals are more forward vs D1.02 in a nice balanced way with great depth and layering.

On the stock 1Z with Region J with both EX1000 & Z1R, it gives a very sweet analogue, organic and fluid flavor but still maintaining the resolution of D1.02. It's so easy to listen to that you can keep playing and not get fatigue. With the K-Mod Ultimate+1Z+Musical, I get even higher resolution, wider+deeper stage and great seperation. Great for Jazz, Classical, Pop and any instrumental genres. I personally find that Musical has slightly harder bass than D1.02 on my setups..

Big thanks to @Whitigir for this great release.

Feb 29, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #32,893 of 45,723
All i can say is wow! Thanks for this break through revelation A busy night for sure but will update here my thoughts God bless you all!

Feb 29, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #32,894 of 45,723
If someone could make a sound profile from Paw Gold Touch, does it mean it's possible to make sound profiles based on other dac/dap on the market? Chord Mojo would be a great addition.

Feb 29, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #32,895 of 45,723
my wm1a is Japan Tourist edition , do i need to change it to J ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back