SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 25, 2020 at 6:41 AM Post #32,281 of 45,723
Your exactly right. I miss read it. Wow great job. It will be quite the storm here now with this one!

One question? Are you saying the software recognizes if it’s in a 1A or 1Z and changes the tuning accordingly? I thought the same characteristics where across both players?

I think they are tunned accordingly. Correct me if im wrong, in 2019 many Chinese 1A owners switched the FW tuning from 1Z for different sound, even ZX300 users could do so. Later 2019 in some Chinese forums ppl found the FW of DMP-Z1 can be ported as well.
I don't have scientific evidence to proof but the result highly reflects my guessing.

Feb 25, 2020 at 6:42 AM Post #32,282 of 45,723
Self identification
I am 1z )
I am 1a
I am zx-507
LoL ) easy

Feb 25, 2020 at 6:47 AM Post #32,285 of 45,723
Exactly my question ? What makes the player to self identifying itself ?
I think they are tunned accordingly. Correct me if im wrong, in 2019 many Chinese 1A owners switched the FW tuning from 1Z for different sound, even ZX300 users could do so. Later 2019 in some Chinese forums ppl found the FW of DMP-Z1 can be ported as well.
I don't have scientific evidence to proof but the result highly reflects my guessing.

I hear the exact same tuning on both players like it’s the players intrinsic quality being displayed with the same software. Still, I’m open minded, I’ll believe anything at this point. Some third-party posts free new firmware! Call me amazed! :)

Feb 25, 2020 at 6:51 AM Post #32,286 of 45,723
I hear the exact same tuning on both players like it’s the players intrinsic quality being displayed with the same software. Still, I’m open minded, I’ll believe anything at this point. Some third-party posts free new firmware! Call me amazed! :)

Im not denying the intrinsic difference brought by hardware. The firmwares i shared use the same tuning codes for both 1A and 1Z so the change should be identical, regardless of the intrinsic hardware difference.

Feb 25, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #32,287 of 45,723
Thank you; will definitely try all of them.

My feeling, those with stock 1Z may do pretty well using LPGT & Ultimate mod; it will be interesting to see what other testimonies are.

Wow, I'm really impressed & I think I get it. Its much easier to get into the music/ groove. When I heard it over and over again, these are definitely masterpiece mods, you guys make something good even better. There 's something good for everyone.

Let me share some observations, i found most with inferior gears or pure BA IEM may find the FW sibilant and harsh. The better your gear the more information and smoothness can be perceived. U share very similar feeling like mine, and both our devices are modded.

Feb 25, 2020 at 7:04 AM Post #32,288 of 45,723
Im not denying the intrinsic difference brought by hardware. The firmwares i shared use the same tuning codes for both 1A and 1Z so the change should be identical, regardless of the intrinsic hardware difference.
You wrote in your post...
“But there are TWO SETS of tuning codes to tune 1A/1Z separately, stored WITHIN THE SAME FIRMWARE. The firmware file simply identifies whether your device is 1A or 1Z then it applies the proprietary tunings.”

That was what I was surprised at and wondering about?

Feb 25, 2020 at 7:07 AM Post #32,289 of 45,723
“But there are TWO SETS of tuning codes to tune 1A/1Z separately, stored WITHIN THE SAME FIRMWARE. The firmware file simply identifies whether your device is 1A or 1Z then it applies the proprietary tunings.”

Corrected! LOL....

But there are 2 set of codes ?

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2020 at 7:09 AM Post #32,290 of 45,723
You should see in your player information...1Z displayed as 1Z and 1A is 1A....both using the same firmware. If they don’t self identify, what else ?

Further proof is that there are 2 set of tuning codes inside the firmware as he mentioned.

I have a photographic memory. I don’t have to check. It says both players on the information page, along of course with the firmware.
Edit: It may have said that before? Haha. Yes, it does delineate the player model. I better log out? Haha

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2020 at 7:10 AM Post #32,291 of 45,723

I didn't yet tested this but my understanding is that firmware shapes the sound to some degree by for example usage of different digital filter or just simply DSP. Different profiles would probably have different tonal balance. So if WM1Z profile has more bass than applying it do WM1A will add the extra bass. Since they are also different internally it doesn't mean the WM1A will sound on the same level. Only the tuning would be similar.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2020 at 7:11 AM Post #32,293 of 45,723
What you have shared Morbi is pretty interesting. I am a tweaker but only on the phone, i flash all sorts of firmwares and have bricked and unbricked a few times. Just not sure about the WM1A, but i'll give this a try when I have time and courage to tweak this. Thank you for sharing.

Feb 25, 2020 at 7:13 AM Post #32,294 of 45,723
I didn't yet tested this but my understanding is that firmware shapes the sound to some degree by for example usage of different digital filter or just simply DSP. Different profiles would probably have different tonal balance. So if WM1Z profile has more bass than applying it do WM1A will add the extra bass. Since they are also different internally it doesn't mean the WM1A will sound on the same level. Only the tuning would be similar.
Just as long as you have a modified hardware, then it will be beneficial

Feb 25, 2020 at 7:15 AM Post #32,295 of 45,723
It really does! Lol!

Crap it does! This is the wild, now I have to see where I saw both players listed? This is so strange!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back