SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 24, 2020 at 4:16 PM Post #32,251 of 45,723
Feb 24, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #32,253 of 45,723
I don’t see that price in amazon UK site. Looks it was on sale or something?

I just checked again. It's $5 USD cheaper today. You have to add it to you cart to see the price shipped to the US. This removes the VAT.

Screenshot-2020-2-24 Place Your Order - Amazon co uk Checkout.png

Feb 24, 2020 at 4:50 PM Post #32,254 of 45,723
Hello everyone. It's been a while since I last posted on this site. Brings back memories of what feels like a lifetime ago!

Good to see the site in a great state and it's easier than ever to navigate IMHO :)

I've a few questions about the WM1A and my TA-ZH1ES ("Tazzy"). I've searched this and other forums though haven't found answers yet...hoping some of you can help

One question, how do I use the WM1A as a digital transport with the Tazzy?
I only want to use the proprietary cable that comes with the tazzy rather than docks or other cable chains.
After selecting the 'WALKMAN' input on the tazzy, what setting do I change if any on the WM1A?

Thanks!

Feb 24, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #32,255 of 45,723
Hello everyone. It's been a while since I last posted on this site. Brings back memories of what feels like a lifetime ago!

Good to see the site in a great state and it's easier than ever to navigate IMHO :)

I've a few questions about the WM1A and my TA-ZH1ES ("Tazzy"). I've searched this and other forums though haven't found answers yet...hoping some of you can help

One question, how do I use the WM1A as a digital transport with the Tazzy?
I only want to use the proprietary cable that comes with the tazzy rather than docks or other cable chains.
After selecting the 'WALKMAN' input on the tazzy, what setting do I change if any on the WM1A?

Thanks!
Nothing.

You should consider the dock since it has active electronics, allows the use of a better USB cable and the PC USB port supports higher resolutions than the Walkman port.

Feb 24, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #32,257 of 45,723
Thanks for the answer - If I was to use the supplied cable with the Tazzy - are you saying it should auto detect and allow me to use it as a transport right away?

Yes, just plug the supplied cable to your Walkman and it will automatically configure. It's takes a second or 2 and you will see "Digital" output label in the upper left corner of the screen.

Feb 24, 2020 at 5:39 PM Post #32,258 of 45,723
Great - thanks for the fast reply.

That must mean my cable is a dud since nothing registers.

Do you know where to find an exact replacement of that cable to the tazzy (like for like). I can't seem to find any part number or existence of it online.

I want to use this side input rather than the back USB input which will be used for something else. So I want to avoid using a NWH10+adapter or a dock.
It's for a backup system to my main rig (Laptop - Questyle 12 master - HD800S)

Feb 24, 2020 at 7:56 PM Post #32,259 of 45,723
I just checked again. It's $5 USD cheaper today. You have to add it to you cart to see the price shipped to the US. This removes the VAT.

Screenshot-2020-2-24 Place Your Order - Amazon co uk Checkout.png
Ah! got it.. Thanks for that info. Definitely cheaper than what retails in US and I guess the volume cap can be removed as well. I will pass it on.

thanks!

Feb 24, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #32,260 of 45,723
I just ran an informal test yesterday as I’m in the middle of writing a 1Z review. Upon putting a fresh card in it takes a while with 3.01 and 3.02 still not as long as as 3.00. Upon turning the unit off and restarting a 256GB card will be read after already being read previously before turn off in about 35 seconds(firmware 3.02). So it seems the 2nd time is a different process, where with firmware 3.00 it took forever......always....like 3.00 was as being read the first time every time, and it could actually cash while reading the card. 2.0 was faster all around, than 3.00. It also seems like 3.02 and 3.01 are relatively faster overall than the load times of 1.20 and 2.00, but I’ve never actually timed them.
Im in 3.00 and its very slow bootup did you tried the sound dough?

I've had SP2000 copper demo unit borrowed for 2 weeks.

Here's next to my WM1A and DX160
20200127_124917.jpg

Out of the three the WM1A had the most bass and SP2000 the least, nevertheless it didn't stop him to outclass both of them in every category. The biggest soundstage, the most natural, the most resolving, efortless and liquid, very holographic and three dimensional sound.

I've read in the SP2000 thread that users reported quite dramatic changes in sound with different software versions. I can't comment on that as I tested using only 1.16 version. You can't go back after the update so its hard to verify.
Wich firmware was 1A on?

Feb 24, 2020 at 8:47 PM Post #32,261 of 45,723
Great - thanks for the fast reply.

That must mean my cable is a dud since nothing registers.

Do you know where to find an exact replacement of that cable to the tazzy (like for like). I can't seem to find any part number or existence of it online.

I want to use this side input rather than the back USB input which will be used for something else. So I want to avoid using a NWH10+adapter or a dock.
It's for a backup system to my main rig (Laptop - Questyle 12 master - HD800S)

Take note though, due to the cradle having a separate mini-USB it allows your computer to be connected as well as the Walkman to the TA.

48DFF6FC-D109-4BEE-BC5B-B5B0E5D88F40.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020 at 8:48 PM Post #32,262 of 45,723
You need to listen for 1 week, at least 3-4 hours a day to realise that it is special.
I was suprised from day one it and after 1000 hours im still amazed I have audioned other DAPS staging may be alittle better or expensive ones but 1A sounds very engaging for a 1000us DAP and I havent heard anithing in the 400us ratio that come seven close my creative E5 its very potent but it crashes it my zx100 has 50hs playback but not the same thikness clarity and staging nor bass... and it costed me 600 US so i dont really get what dap in the 400 ratio could be better than 1A

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #32,263 of 45,723
Then you must have... maybe i cannot confirm either very terrible set of headphones... or maybe im just saying maybe you need to schedule an otolaryngologist apointment assap.

Haha another one having fun with there eL cheapo daps )

Telling you it easier let him enjoy it then convincing hehe

Feb 24, 2020 at 10:16 PM Post #32,264 of 45,723
People might find SONY'S signature series DAP expensive but at that price point compared to other brands, it is still very value for money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back