SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 19, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #31,996 of 45,723
I auditioned several times in battery mode. Even though some brief auditions may not do it justice but I’m already impressed with the potential of 1A/1Z.
The overall technical performance is still superior for Z1, especially driving power.

Yeah, well, battery mode is ok, but not the best of DMP Z1. There are several reasons I can think of. Can definitely confirm external discrete PSU will be a much different story

I dont know man but the DMP is vastly superior to the 1Z to my ears especially on harder to drive headphones. The IER-Z1R does sound wonder on the 1Z and very close to the DMP, but the DMP is on another league or two above when driving full size headphones.
also the same when DMP drives IER Z1R

The best of it is still a well built External LPS instead of that Walwart

Feb 19, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #31,997 of 45,723
I swapped out my battery Wires with 22Awg Litz wires with Cotton cores for dampening. This is already very big and can hardly fit. Unless you want to risk a damaged battery or a flash to the face and burning down your house.

Anyways, is there benefit to it ? I made sure I listened to my favorite song the whole night last night and morning. Yeah, there are better bass textures, deeper, more vivid and articulations. Widen soundstage, depth and more energetic timbres overall. It isn’t as pronounced as swapping out Caps or internal wires, but every little bits count !!!

Caps>>>internal wires>>batteries wires>solder joints materials

That is how I would rank the level or performances improved between each performances and ratios

Strangely, the battery wires materials being used will have the very same sound signatures to if it was to be used at Internal wires upgrade toward headphones socket !!! No need to wires rolling LOL!!!!

This video prove how challenge the Battery could be!!!

I have some Cardas Litz 24 Gauge wire on hand,so I am doing this mod TONIGHT.
Thanks for leading the way. :)
Power Cables are about as important as XLR cables in a High end system, and these Sony Players are about as High end as it gets.

PS. I wouldn't trust any Rhodium plating outside of what FURUTECH does, they are the best in the business.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2020 at 7:37 PM Post #31,998 of 45,723
I haven’t missed it. I remember my mood was just like u in 2017 before I first mod my 1Z, and I remember in this threads some shared the same feeling like u now.
I did love my stock 1Z, but a friend of mine poisoned me with the better performance it offers...... I can say though it’s more neutral, the bass rumbles so much deeper than stock 1Z with much more authority. And overall it’s still quite warm and analogue, sticking to the original 1Z signature but an overall step up. That was my first impression. And that’s only the impression of premium mod, not the latest ultimate mod that involves two more caps and battery mod and many more.

Hehe 2017 you saying ) just like my nickname the year when I joined headfi XD

What you just described about 1z mod, its how I felt with pw1960! Very impressive I never heard my 1z and trio to perform like this ever never ! Neither anything else too lol

But it was still warm and thick sounding but I just don't know how to explain this.
Its complet madness it was so good I was stoned couldn't believe it!
The holy grail as we call it!

For now I will take a break probably cause its getting outrageously expensive sssss

Feb 19, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #32,000 of 45,723
Expensive ? Lol....

Human and Monkey has about 1.3% differences in the DNA. Do you think it is expensive for the earth and monkey the way Human prove their differences ?

LoL humans can fly in space DuDe!!!
We own it!

Soon androids will do all our dirty jobs and we will sit miami beache!

Yea expensive what does that even mean?
I got the top stuff I really enjoy and value my experience with it at as its priceless! So I forgot already how much it was ooops Xd

Feb 19, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #32,001 of 45,723
I dont know man but the DMP is vastly superior to the 1Z to my ears especially on harder to drive headphones. The IER-Z1R does sound wonder on the 1Z and very close to the DMP, but the DMP is on another league or two above when driving full size headphones.

+1

Even with the IER-Z1R the DMP-Z1 is superior in my opinion. Especially with DSD remastering on.

Feb 19, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #32,002 of 45,723
I just recently transferred a few high res albums onto my Sony NW-WM1A using a Windows PC and they are not showing up. Using a 1tb card...first time this has happened.

Feb 19, 2020 at 8:57 PM Post #32,004 of 45,723
+1

Even with the IER-Z1R the DMP-Z1 is superior in my opinion. Especially with DSD remastering on.

So funny I took that feature of when I listened to dmp.
I found it was way to smooth to my taste lol

Feb 19, 2020 at 9:10 PM Post #32,005 of 45,723
did you place them in a folder named Music?

I feel like an idiot. I misspelled the artist in ID tags for all but one of the albums, so I only had one album showing up under what I thought was the artist. The rest of them were in the misspelled artist LOL.

Feb 19, 2020 at 9:17 PM Post #32,007 of 45,723
I'm in my office reading these posts, chilling and feeling blissful listening to Jazz (Art Pepper) on the 1Z>Horus>M9. Great synergy...

Modded 1Z and Z1R is on loan to a friend which gave me the opportunity to listen to the M9 on the 1Z again.... so glad I did.

Sounds like good little heaven party at work?

:upside_down: :relieved:

Feb 19, 2020 at 9:29 PM Post #32,008 of 45,723
Sounds like good little heaven party at work?

:upside_down: :relieved:

I was doing Art Pepper on my Sony NW-WM1A yesterday....today it's City of the Sun. Shure SRH1540 headphones seem to work beautifully with my Sony.

Feb 19, 2020 at 9:30 PM Post #32,010 of 45,723
I'm in my office reading these posts, chilling and feeling blissful listening to Jazz (Art Pepper) on the 1Z>Horus>M9. Great synergy...

Modded 1Z and Z1R is on loan to a friend which gave me the opportunity to listen to the M9 on the 1Z again.... so glad I did.

I was doing Art Pepper on my Sony NW-WM1A yesterday....today it's City of the Sun. Shure SRH1540 headphones seem to work beautifully with my Sony.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back