SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 22, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #30,916 of 45,723
I think is more of sonys problem because they don't have digital filters like other DAPs. F.e Hiby, fiio even the DMP-Z1 have digotal filtera like appodizing, slow-roll off etc

this is why DSD is adored by many people. Whether it comes from Studio or Processed algorithms, it can no longer be tinkered with as much variables as PCM, and hence reduced the varieties of what would effect the sound in the end.

Also, another reason why people would love to stay with PCM, is because they enjoy it, and they can pick out what they want to hear regarding the Digital filters or DSP options.

in the end, what matters is what you hear, and not what others can or do hear....If you can not do so, you are in a wrong hobby.....like saying “my hobby is Diving, but I don’t know how to hold my breathes, or use the oxygen tanks, even swimming”

Dec 22, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #30,917 of 45,723
I want more midbass impact, but not necessarily more overall bass rumble
I know it depends on the iem at hand but what software version you'd recommend on the 1a, for a more mid bass impact
For a more bass foused experience 2.0 its great! I agree on coments about 3.01 and 3.02 thanks for the answers i think i can live with 3.01 being the best of all and 2.0 its a good choice dor not analitical listening but when you go 3.01 and 3.02 and go 2.0 you hear it more mellow. i wish sony let aus chose from all in a final firmware...you can get 3.01 sound or 1.20, couse think there its a risk with contant FW changes!

Dec 22, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #30,919 of 45,723
Dec 22, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #30,920 of 45,723
I bought my wm1a from US is it capped?

m uisicguy
If your 1A has high gain button, it is uncapped.
If there’s no button for high gain at all, then it’s capped.

Dec 22, 2019 at 2:21 PM Post #30,921 of 45,723
I now prefer 3.1 low gain with my 1Z/xba-N3.

With 3.1 in Low gain it sounds very analogue with lows, mids and highs very tonally balanced.

With 3.2 I would always switch to High gain for additional bass slam but then after a while notice something missing, like high gain messes up the tonal balance?

Switching back again however to low gain in 3.2 I find it too quiet?

Maybe dynamic range is affected negatively by high gain?

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2019 at 9:22 PM Post #30,922 of 45,723
IMG_2803.jpg

It’s a nice improvement as the dock has a series of clocking anti-jitter filters. And........to further enhance you can get the AudioQuest Carbon USB cable. I meant to get the shortest one, to decrease external interference, but ended with the 5 foot which is the next size up. Though 5 feet works well with laptops and such farther from the TA.

100s of pages back there are pictures where someone dismantled a dock and identified the parts.

A couple folks here have the dock and Carbon combo.

Picked up the dock and the carbon cable. Thank you for the advice! This blows away the walkman port and a big upgrade from just using the NWH10 USB cable.

Dec 22, 2019 at 9:34 PM Post #30,923 of 45,723
I also hesitated for FW upgrade to 3.2 from 3.1. But I did last day. I had around 100 hrs on 3.1 with 1Z & IER Z1R with Jvc Spiral Dots. Here is how I find 3.2: bass is more defined, little more tight & weighty, Mids could not find change, High is added with more sparkle, more articulated, separated with added resolution, Sound Stage more expanded. As IER Z1R was in Warm side with 3.2 I am liking more over 3.1. May be I will find after more hours...

Dec 22, 2019 at 11:23 PM Post #30,924 of 45,723

Picked up the dock and the carbon cable. Thank you for the advice! This blows away the walkman port and a big upgrade from just using the NWH10 USB cable.
I’m so happy you notice an improvement. 1) It’s controversial using a $160 USB cable. 2) The filters in the dock could also be looked at skeptically. So whenever questionable purchases are made, it’s always 2X good when they make a change. Cheers!

I simply copied https://www.head-fi.org/members/whitigir.378966/ .....he had the same set-up but has moved on the the DMP-Z1.

So I’m a copy cat too. Is that the Kimber/Sony cable 4.4mm your using with the MDR-Z1R?

It is a resolution and timing improvement! We have so much of the same gear too. But I’m pretty happy with how stuff sounds. I’m actually not even looking to change a thing.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #30,926 of 45,723
I’m so happy you notice an improvement. 1) It’s controversial using a $160 USB cable. 2) The filters in the dock could also be looked at skeptically. So whenever questionable purchases are made, it’s always 2X good when they make a change. Cheers!

I simply copied https://www.head-fi.org/members/whitigir.378966/ .....he had the same set-up but has moved on the the DMP-Z1.

So I’m a copy cat too. Is that the Kimber/Sony cable 4.4mm your using with the MDR-Z1R?

It is a resolution and timing improvement! We have so much of the same gear too. But I’m pretty happy with how stuff sounds. I’m actually not even looking to change a thing.

I did each step one by one just to see if there were actual differences.
First went it with the walkman cable. Then tried the NWH10 cable. Much clearer.
Picked up the dock and I went into it thinking it can't be that much of an improvement. Man was i wrong. Even clearer and better impact.
Then eventually picked up the carbon usb cable. And as an IT guy, it's hard for me to accept that a usb cable can make a sound difference. It's all data after all.
But I'll be damn. Really makes the MDR more impactful if that makes any sense of words.

And yup that is the Sony Kimber cable. This was the first time a cable made a big difference and I personally love what it does for the MDRs.
Absolutely love this setup and synergy. Man Sony did a great job with this setup

Dec 23, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #30,927 of 45,723
Picked up the dock and I went into it thinking it can't be that much of an improvement. Man was i wrong. Even clearer and better impact.
Then eventually picked up the carbon usb cable. And as an IT guy, it's hard for me to accept that a usb cable can make a sound difference. It's all data after all.
But I'll be damn. Really makes the MDR more impactful if that makes any sense of words.

And yup that is the Sony Kimber cable. This was the first time a cable made a big difference and I personally love what it does for the MDRs.
Absolutely love this setup and synergy. Man Sony did a great job with this setup

Well, after all, you have proven that your ears and enthusiasms are always first and leading the ways. That is excellent news, but “sorry for your wallet”.

Dec 23, 2019 at 10:07 AM Post #30,928 of 45,723

Quick question, by Sony Kimber cable were you referring to the USB cable that came with the BCR-NWH10 dock?

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #30,929 of 45,723
Well, after all, you have proven that your ears and enthusiasms are always first and leading the ways. That is excellent news, but “sorry for your wallet”.
My wallet was screwed the minute i walked into e-earphone in Tokyo LOL. But yes yes, I've learnt to trust my ears and to always give things a shot before making any judgement. Now I'll stay away from trying the DMP.

Quick question, by Sony Kimber cable were you referring to the USB cable that came with the BCR-NWH10 dock?
The Kimber cable i was referring to is muc-b12sm1. Sorry for the confusion.
The cable i swapped out from the dock is the carbon audioquest usb cable.

Dec 23, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #30,930 of 45,723
There is a side mini usb that comes with the TA. Then the next upgrade is https://www.amazon.com/Sony-WMC-NWH10-Conversion-Cable-Output/dp/B00FF086HE

This you plug into the Walkman then a USB cable.
Which you plug into the back of the TA. That’s a slight upgrade. But the AQCarbon and dock to TA is the final upgrade.

The Sony Kimber goes between the MDR-Z1R and TA.
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-MUC-B20SB1-SONY-Headphone-cable/dp/B01LRR04F0

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back