SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 9, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #3,061 of 45,723
So... nothing really then, as far as DAP screens go? Especially one which is not meant to play any videos etc at all?

Edit: Let's rephrase this, which DAP has a screen that actually impressed you, then? That might be more useful for comparison.

You seem to be taking this personally, I prefer a better screen that's all.The higher res provides a much sharper view of text plus the added benefit of having vibrant colour. To answer your question..... none. If Sony, Samsung, Apple etc. can supply better screens on their top tier phones which cost the same here in Oz as this Dap (1A) then they can provide said unit with one.
Sony must have a boat load of these screens laying around somewhere and need to use them up.

Oct 9, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #3,062 of 45,723

You seem to be taking this personally, I prefer a better screen that's all.The higher res provides a much sharper view of text plus the added benefit of having vibrant colour. To answer your question..... none. If Sony, Samsung, Apple etc. can supply better screens on their top tier phones which cost the same here in Oz as this Dap (1A) then they can provide said unit with one.
Sony must have a boat load of these screens laying around somewhere and need to use them up.

Nothing personal about it, I don't even own either of these yet. I'm just trying to inject some relevance into the discussion. If you said they're horrible because everyone else's DAP has a better screen, that makes sense. Failing that, isn't it comparing apples to oranges, in terms of use cases?

And I do agree, Sony of all people should have no trouble sourcing higher quality screens. But are they really required, for simple menus and album art?

Oct 9, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #3,063 of 45,723
  Nothing personal about it, I don't even own either of these yet. I'm just trying to inject some relevance into the discussion. If you said they're horrible because everyone else's DAP has a better screen, that makes sense. Failing that, isn't it comparing apples to oranges, in terms of use cases?

And I do agree, Sony of all people should have no trouble sourcing higher quality screens. But are they really required, for simple menus and album art?

I see where your coming from although if just one player used a higher spec-ed screen all the others would follow. I don't want to get into cost again as this word is now verboten in this thread although this is an area were to me Sony annoys me, they should offer a better screen and a more powerful SOC. The early previews (with one exception) all state a slightly lagging UI, not acceptable in my opinion. This discussion has been here and there many times on Headfi although If I were to show you this Dap with a better screen and a more suitable SOC I guarantee that you would want it that way.

Oct 9, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #3,064 of 45,723

I see where your coming from although if just one player used a higher spec-ed screen all the others would follow. I don't want to get into cost again as this word is now verboten in this thread although this is an area were to me Sony annoys me, they should offer a better screen and a more powerful SOC. The early previews (with one exception) all state a slightly lagging UI, not acceptable in my opinion. This discussion has been here and there many times on Headfi although If I were to show you this Dap with a better screen and a more suitable SOC I guarantee that you would want it that way.

I think in a way I kindda agree with you on the screen thing.  They already have much better screen that they can use from other Xperia line.  However, it maybe a matter of OS required.  I personally think that the Walkman OS is designed to work at the current resolution....so any higher resolution display may cause some scaling issues.

Oct 9, 2016 at 8:52 PM Post #3,065 of 45,723

Well, it's not a deal breaker to me, how's that? The screen being better would definitely be a nice bonus, but I don't think it affects the actual usability of either DAP as it stands. As for the UI, I didn't actually notice a stutter/lag while using it (compared to my ZX2 which definitely does stutter on occasion), it (to clarify, spent most of my time with the 1Z) seemed pretty responsive.

But it's still early days yet, I expect once people have decent time with these units we'll get a more accurate concensus.

Oct 9, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #3,066 of 45,723

I don't really care about the screen quality, but I understand that at this price, some people expect the best. If it was not Sony, there would be the argument of sourcing power. Apple or Samsung order millions of screens so they can get the best at low price. But it should be the case for Sony. Another reason could be battery life. I would think brighter / better screens consume more and Sony always aim at long battery life in their DAPs.

Oct 9, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #3,067 of 45,723
I don't really care about the screen quality, but I understand that at this price, some people expect the best. If it was not Sony, there would be the argument of sourcing power. Apple or Samsung order millions of screens so they can get the best at low price. But it should be the case for Sony. Another reason could be battery life. I would think brighter / better screens consume more and Sony always aim at long battery life in their DAPs.

Agree and this dap is not a video player or photo viewer, so ita fine with the current resolution., The only issue would be if you take a picture of the screen of the dap too close to see the pixels

Oct 9, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #3,068 of 45,723
From my hands on experience the screen on the player is perfectly fine in colour and contrast to the naked eye. Also the lower resolution means that there is less pixel to drive which means less battery consumption as well as less demanding to the SoC which also means less power draw - all are excellent engineering reasons for a DAP. As long as a screen on a DAP is does nothing more than displaying the album cover in most usage then I see no reasons to care about how high quality the screen is, again I'll go for more battery life any day of the week, especially if you just dig into any modern smartphone OS and see that it is the screen that eats up the most power during operation.

Unless of course the oem cuts so much that the screen is garbage, like in the case of the Opus 1 with its extremely washed out colours, the WM1 screen is more than good enough.

Oct 9, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #3,069 of 45,723
From my hands on experience the screen on the player is perfectly fine in colour and contrast to the naked eye. Also the lower resolution means that there is less pixel to drive which means less battery consumption as well as less demanding to the SoC which also means less power draw - all are excellent engineering reasons for a DAP. As long as a screen on a DAP is does nothing more than displaying the album cover in most usage then I see no reasons to care about how high quality the screen is, again I'll go for more battery life any day of the week, especially if you just dig into any modern smartphone OS and see that it is the screen that eats up the most power during operation.

Unless of course the oem cuts so much that the screen is garbage, like in the case of the Opus 1 with its extremely washed out colours, the WM1 screen is more than good enough.

I am still disappointed it doesn't have a 3D screen, some vibration sensors and a smell generator so I can experience my DSD albums in 5 dimensions.

(for those who have a hard time decoding my intent, this IS a joke).

Oct 9, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #3,070 of 45,723
I am still disappointed it doesn't have a 3D screen, some vibration sensors and a smell generator so I can experience my DSD albums in 5 dimensions.

(for those who have a hard time decoding my intent, this IS a joke).

LOL be careful not to put Odd sounds or body functions sounds DSD albums
biggrin.gif

Oct 9, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #3,071 of 45,723

The screen is fine.
It even renders complex kanji without messing up the strokes in the song title. If you are an English user you've got nothing to worry about.
Colour and contrast is good, as seen in how it renders the different shades of blue in the album cover instead of a blue blob. There's also no light bleeding at the edge and the screen blends right into the black bezel even with a "dark theme" where most of the elements are on a black background.

It's a good screen, maybe lacking pixel count and unknown brightness under sun light, but other than that, nothing more you can really ask for.

Edit: and the white is also white not yellow such as in poorer quality screens. So at least it looks to be calibrated correctly

Oct 9, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #3,072 of 45,723
The screen is fine.
It even renders complex kanji without messing up the strokes in the song title. If you are an English user you've got nothing to worry about.
Colour and contrast is good, as seen in how it renders the different shades of blue in the album cover instead of a blue blob. There's also no light bleeding at the edge and the screen blends right into the black bezel even with a "dark theme" where most of the elements are on a black background.

It's a good screen, maybe lacking pixel count and unknown brightness under sun light, but other than that, nothing more you can really ask for.

Edit: and the white is also white not yellow such as in poorer quality screens. So at least it looks to be calibrated correctly

Certainly looks better tan the screen of my ZX100, better resolution and constrast and less messing with the letters

Oct 9, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #3,073 of 45,723

The screen is fine.

Yeah, I didn't find any problems with the screen either. Maybe some would like a higher resolution screen, but again, it's only going to be displaying menus and album art. Plus I like my current crazy battery life with the ZX2, wouldn't like to suddenly have to charge my DAP every 8 hours >.<

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back