SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 7, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #29,537 of 45,723
Anyone with 1A/1Z plan to make this a reality in their home?
uezdiyp83qemvrtcjp4t.jpg

Caution, its probably priced a bit high up in speaker price hierarchy.

I would have if they released it a year ago. In the meantime, I bought a pair of Genelec 8331's that I'm very happy with. Would be curious how they compare though. Knowing Sony, however, I imagine it won't be easy to test drive these babies anywhere.

Sony does not appear to make any statements on re tuning the sound signature for every update only features and UI improvements. It makes more sense to me that if they believed that had improved the sound would they not make a fuss about it?

Well, I'd say that any audio manufacturer would have quite a problem if their firmware updates affected how their products sound in any way. Which is precisely why I remain extremely sceptical towards all those claims of sound changes btw. firmwares.
Furthermore, I'm quite mystified as to how you would approach such a comparison. Audio memory is way too short to last even as long as a simple firmware update. The only way to be remotely sure would be to have two devices of the same type with different firmwares at hand at one given time and switch between them on the fly, preferably in double blind conditions. Has anyone tried that?

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #29,538 of 45,723
With all due respect, and perhaps speaking from an iem experience, every single firmware has indeed altered the sound signature. Just this eve, after sticking with 3.02 for 24hrs and not feeling it, I reverted first to 1.20 and yes, big big sound but sound-stage not as wide,plus of course you lose goodies like DAC. Then on to 3.01 and happy again. I'm using WMZ1,Westone ES80 with Oriveti affinity cable.[/QUOTE]

Sep 7, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #29,539 of 45,723
With all due respect, and perhaps speaking from an iem experience, every single firmware has indeed altered the sound signature. Just this eve, after sticking with 3.02 for 24hrs and not feeling it, I reverted first to 1.20 and yes, big big sound but sound-stage not as wide,plus of course you lose goodies like DAC. Then on to 3.01 and happy again. I'm using WMZ1,Westone ES80 with Oriveti affinity cable.
[/QUOTE]
Sounds like fw 3.01 for me in near future.
Still on 1.20 and still loving it.
Not letting go yet because it sounds so good with 1Z and Khan.

Sep 7, 2019 at 7:08 PM Post #29,541 of 45,723
So I’m curious before purchasing - has anyone tested 1TB micro SD card?

Sep 7, 2019 at 7:24 PM Post #29,542 of 45,723
I'm using the Sandisk 1TB card in my WM-1A and WM-1Z with no problems.

Sep 7, 2019 at 7:24 PM Post #29,543 of 45,723
I would have if they released it a year ago. In the meantime, I bought a pair of Genelec 8331's that I'm very happy with. Would be curious how they compare though. Knowing Sony, however, I imagine it won't be easy to test drive these babies anywhere.

Well, I'd say that any audio manufacturer would have quite a problem if their formware updates affected how their products sound in any way. Which is precisely why I remain extremely sceptical towards all those claims of sound changes btw. firmwares.
Furthermore, I'm quite mystified as to how you would approach such a comparison. Audio memory is way too short to last even as long as a simple firmware update. The only way to be remotely sure would be to have two devices of the same type with different firmwares at hand at one given time and switch between them on the fly, preferably in double blind conditions. Has anyone tried that?

You make a good point, have there been 2 walkmans of the same model but using different firmware compared side by side ? The engineers built the walkmans with a specific sound in mind, if that got changed on every firmware update I don't they'd be too pleased at all.

Sep 7, 2019 at 7:31 PM Post #29,544 of 45,723
I got a sandisk 1TB during prime day and it works really well with the Sony DAP. Highly recommended if you can get it at a low price. I got it for less than $350.

Sep 7, 2019 at 7:57 PM Post #29,545 of 45,723
You make a good point, have there been 2 walkmans of the same model but using different firmware compared side by side ? The engineers built the walkmans with a specific sound in mind, if that got changed on every firmware update I don't they'd be too pleased at all.
Yes. I have compared them side by side, different firmware. They sound very different, it's not a placebo effect by any means.

Sep 7, 2019 at 8:22 PM Post #29,546 of 45,723
I'm using the Sandisk 1TB card in my WM-1A and WM-1Z with no problems.

I got a sandisk 1TB during prime day and it works really well with the Sony DAP. Highly recommended if you can get it at a low price. I got it for less than $350.

Thanks much for confirmation - any issues moving it between daps? Least at first just between Sony DMP-z1 And NW-WMZ1 - would hope non issue

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #29,547 of 45,723
Thanks much for confirmation - any issues moving it between daps? Least at first just between Sony DMP-z1 And NW-WMZ1 - would hope non issue
There shouldn't be if they both use the directory structure.

I ended up buying (2) on Prime Day to have one in WM-1A and the WM-1Z.

Sep 8, 2019 at 5:26 AM Post #29,548 of 45,723
Yes. I have compared them side by side, different firmware. They sound very different, it's not a placebo effect by any means.

I remain doubtful, especially about the "very different" part. That would be no less than a disaster for Sony, assumig that they actually care about sound and consistency. I don't really see them continually tweaking the sound, and neither can I imagine that any software changes would necessarily change the sound signature, but what do I know, I'm not an electronics engineer. What I do know is that I have gone through every single firmware update so far, and my unit has always been sounding just the same to me, but of course that could mean that I'm just insensitive to those changes or not listening critically enough or that my audio memory does simply not permit me to observe them or all of those ...
In any case, I suspect we have very different definitions of "very different". I try to keep an open mind, however, and it would certainly be interesting to try and compare two units myself, but it's unlikely that I'll get the chance anytime soon ...

Sep 8, 2019 at 5:53 AM Post #29,549 of 45,723
I remain doubtful, especially about the "very different" part. That would be no less than a disaster for Sony, assumig that they actually care about sound and consistency. I don't really see them continually tweaking the sound, and neither can I imagine that any software changes would necessarily change the sound signature, but what do I know, I'm not an electronics engineer. What I do know is that I have gone through every single firmware update so far, and my unit has always been sounding just the same to me, but of course that could mean that I'm just insensitive to those changes or not listening critically enough or that my audio memory does simply not permit me to observe them or all of those ...
In any case, I suspect we have very different definitions of "very different". I try to keep an open mind, however, and it would certainly be interesting to try and compare two units myself, but it's unlikely that I'll get the chance anytime soon ...
I respect your point of view.
Having said that, by very different I mean firmware 3.02 would be a no buy for me, whereas firmware 3.01 to my ears is one of the best digital audio players on the market.
The difference between 3.0 and 3.01 is a bit less dramatic, but substantial none the less.

add: All the firmware are unique in their tuning, and I am sure I would be able to pick them out in a double blind test pretty easily. I don't think I am saying anything that most people on this thread don't already know.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2019 at 6:43 AM Post #29,550 of 45,723
The mistake Sony engineers did is using ng the same FW code for the 1A and .Z, they could have just forked or.made two coding branches si they release a FW with the sound characteristic for the Z and the other dule for the A sound characteristics , having a common main branch for the comma n features like USB DAC and so on (no changes in SQ).

Changing the cassette tape: will sony change to USB type C , stop selling the WM-Port cable? I had one from my ZX100 lasted me.like 4 years before breaking, fortunately had the brand new cable from my wm1A

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back