SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 22, 2019 at 1:56 AM Post #28,396 of 45,723
I owned the ZX300 before and sold it. I'm actually looking for something that is NOT Sony.

It's because Sony has to make their own S-Master chip for the Walkman instead of relying on AKM or Sabre to provide a solution (the portable DAC chips of AKM and Sabre are refreshed yearly but with very minor tweaks, usually just reducing features, a die shrink coupled with reduced power consumption from the big flagship desktop chip), and that takes time as lots of R&D is involved. Sony's position here is unique in the industry.

I use Media Go and MusicBee.

I add new music pretty much every couple of weeks as I still buy lots of CDs and downloads, so I set up automatic playlists which will automatically categorise my music according to dates it is added, what artists it is, series, and I tag them with like/dislike. I listen to single tracks more than the entire album because modern music are mostly individually made rather than being a "full album" with a continous theme/story. I'm a tech guy so I want my gadgets to actually have these automated functions instead of wasting my own time to manually do it if I'm using a digital piece of equipment that has a powerful CPU in it. If I'm doing analog (vinyl or tubes) then I'll take all the quirks it has that is associated with an analog media because that's also part of the experience, but a DAP (DIGITAL audio player) should be as convenient as possible.

Fair enough. I also continue to buy and rip cd's every few weeks and just copy the new music to the 1Z and then access it via the Recently added group. Also I very rarely buy "modern music"

Jun 22, 2019 at 4:35 AM Post #28,397 of 45,723
Fair enough. I also continue to buy and rip cd's every few weeks and just copy the new music to the 1Z and then access it via the Recently added group. Also I very rarely buy "modern music"

Count me in for listening to an entire album. There's just something cathartic about choosing just the right album at just the right time. The way one song transitions into the next is an experience unto itself. I leave the playlists for my kids and their generation.

Meanwhile the pairing of the WM1Z with the Z1R is just sublime, regardless of the content.

Jun 22, 2019 at 4:42 AM Post #28,398 of 45,723
Ok I'm officially a Sony fanboy now. Just placed my order on the WM1Z and MDR-Z1R. Both coming next weekend!

I actually love the Sony sound sig. Love it on the Z1 and would love something similar to it when I'm on the go.

Jun 22, 2019 at 4:50 AM Post #28,399 of 45,723
Bob Dylan.jpg

Dogs and wife sleeping. My late Friday night date. Priceless. :)

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2019 at 5:39 AM Post #28,400 of 45,723
one more albums listener here , like someone said playing random tracks is probably an ipod/kids thing

i hav the utmost respect for people who understand what went through making an album and having the patience to sit and listen all of it

this 'play random tracks' thing , i never got it - but maybe i am a 70s mentality person (although i grew up in the 90s)

Jun 22, 2019 at 6:39 AM Post #28,401 of 45,723
Count me in for listening to an entire album. There's just something cathartic about choosing just the right album at just the right time. The way one song transitions into the next is an experience unto itself. I leave the playlists for my kids and their generation.

Meanwhile the pairing of the WM1Z with the Z1R is just sublime, regardless of the content.

Dogs and wife sleeping. My late Friday night date. Priceless. :)

1Z and IER-Z1R was my combo today! It IS amazing! I’m starting to realize that Megadeth was always better than Metallica all along?

Jun 22, 2019 at 6:42 AM Post #28,402 of 45,723
Ok I'm officially a Sony fanboy now. Just placed my order on the WM1Z and MDR-Z1R. Both coming next weekend!

I actually love the Sony sound sig. Love it on the Z1 and would love something similar to it when I'm on the go.

You may be occupied/engaged.....after all that? Lol!

Jun 22, 2019 at 6:44 AM Post #28,403 of 45,723
Jun 22, 2019 at 6:55 AM Post #28,406 of 45,723
one more albums listener here , like someone said playing random tracks is probably an ipod/kids thing

i hav the utmost respect for people who understand what went through making an album and having the patience to sit and listen all of it

this 'play random tracks' thing , i never got it - but maybe i am a 70s mentality person (although i grew up in the 90s)

Well to be fair in the history of recorded and consumed music the “the single track” thing by far predates the album given that 78 rpm records at most played up to about 10 minutes and also the 45 rpm single. The reason I’m “indoctrinated” to albums is that I grew up with classical music where a single piece usually filled one or more 33 rpm records and I’ve just stayed with that mindset

Jun 22, 2019 at 7:20 AM Post #28,407 of 45,723
That’s my issue.....waking up to music at 11-12 years old......the long play album was the pushed format. Research has explained that Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin actually wrote music around the fact that the songs would be joined to a bigger group in listening perception. Going back now 50 years.....you can now analyze the fact that the songs were designed to add contrast and expand the listening session. You could not simply put random songs, like a greatest hit package and make it work the same. In the mid 1970s radio stations continued to reinforce the concept by playing album sides or full albums. LPs must have cost more offering the music industry more profit from each sale. They even tried to extend it to two LPs when KISS ALIVE became the best selling concert recording in history. It was all about making greater impact. The Beatles Sgt Pepper’s was not a double album but was the first LP to offer a gatefold. In sold music it seems bigger is better. Though the teens spending in the 1950s could only afford 45s......thus it worked well for the times. Though the smartest folks continued to make 45s and LPs and offer separate music on each forcing the real fans to buy everything.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2019 at 7:43 AM Post #28,409 of 45,723
This bugs me out a lot...why is this photo from Sony showing 1A with WAV and album art

My guess would be a seperate jpg file in the same directory as the wav file

Jun 22, 2019 at 7:44 AM Post #28,410 of 45,723

It isn't.

The CD was introduced to the market in 1982, with it was the ability to skip to any track in an instant which pre-dates ipods by a couple of decades. Also radios never plays the entire album. This isn't a "modern kids thing" at all.

Also in the 70s/80s people mix their own cassette tapes, which is essentially creating their own playlists. Then there are jukeboxes which also plays single tracks. Playing single tracks/music in any order to suit person preference is not a new thing at all, I'd argue it is as old as music itself when people can "order" which song to hear around the village fire. Actually listening to an entire album is probably the newer invention.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back