SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 12, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #28,336 of 45,723
Jun 12, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #28,337 of 45,723
Last edited:
Jun 12, 2019 at 10:04 PM Post #28,339 of 45,723
Jun 13, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #28,340 of 45,723
In regard to whoever did ask me about what mods I planned on doing for DMP-Z1 ?

So my ultimate Walkman is now completed with External Ultra Linear Regulated Power Supply. The DMP-Z1 is unique in this attribute alone and by itself, which makes it the only device on the market at the moment to be doing this. The ability to take and run off the External Power Supply.

Unlike your traditional Devices. The DMP-Z1 has 3 modes

1/ Battery alone. This can be switched anytime even when Plugged into a wall socket.

2/ Battery preferred. This will makes the DMP acts like any of your typical Portable devices that has battery. Use the External supply to charge and the DMP is internally operated on the Battery alone

3/ AC Mode. In this Mode, the DMP will utilize the External Power Supply to charge the batteries while running and operating internally straight from your External Power Supply.

All 3 modes are switched on the fly and automatically or by your choices and the player never have to be turned off .

This Supply was built with all the dedications toward sound as much as I have known and accumulated over the years.

All internals wires are OCC-Litz as needed, Furutech Sockets and receptacles, Direct solder as much as needed to assure best performances, dampened epoxy with dampened mechanism on mounting the board toward the chassis, and proper ventilations for MOSFET. Capacitors are built upon Audio Grade such as Seimic 2 and NIPPON Chemicon. Solder are Oyaide SS-47 with Audio Grade performances that I hav been trusted to have been using all over the years. There is no corner cut

Thank you AMB Audio and Ti Kan for such amazing designs

270891BB-13B3-43E2-B3B7-878B38B4378F.jpeg 24F29455-70A5-461B-8D64-A84CE927CD6A.jpeg 70596E59-CC4C-42D2-A426-98A1DBA036FA.jpeg 377C8AFE-6B36-4B87-A73C-4E0A7FAB7904.jpeg
C801C47B-16C6-4B95-A4F2-C6626E052F3D.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #28,341 of 45,723
In regard to whoever did ask me about what mods I planned on doing for DMP-Z1 ?

So my ultimate Walkman is now completed with External Ultra Linear Regulated Power Supply. The DMP-Z1 is unique in this attribute alone and by itself, which makes it the only device on the market at the moment to be doing this. The ability to take and run off the External Power Supply.

Unlike your traditional Devices. The DMP-Z1 has 3 modes

1/ Battery alone. This can be switched anytime even when Plugged into a wall socket.

2/ Battery preferred. This will makes the DMP acts like any of your typical Portable devices that has battery. Use the External supply to charge and the DMP is internally operated on the Battery alone

3/ AC Mode. In this Mode, the DMP will utilize the External Power Supply to charge the batteries while running and operating internally straight from your External Power Supply.

All 3 modes are switched on the fly and automatically or by your choices and the player never have to be turned off .

This Supply was built with all the dedications toward sound as much as I have known and accumulated over the years.

All internals wires are OCC-Litz as needed, Furutech Sockets and receptacles, Direct solder as much as needed to assure best performances, dampened epoxy with dampened mechanism on mounting the board toward the chassis, and proper ventilations for MOSFET. Capacitors are built upon Audio Grade such as Seimic 2 and NIPPON Chemicon. Solder are Oyaide SS-47 with Audio Grade performances that I hav been trusted to have been using all over the years. There is no corner cut

Thank you AMB Audio and Ti Kan for such amazing designs

That thing is a beauty. Good thing that most people here have never heard the DMP-Z1, or else they would be turning green with envy. I mean dark dark green :wink:
Enjoy the music, you have a killer setup there.

Jun 14, 2019 at 12:09 AM Post #28,342 of 45,723
So, are Surf Cables any good,i like the price and will prob be tempted to get a new balanced for my Sony.
Are there other not ultra expensive far Asian options for us in EU,thanks.

I love my set of Surf cables

Jun 14, 2019 at 6:17 AM Post #28,343 of 45,723
I will buy an used NWZ-A15 for the commute and also want a pair for f used xba-A3 for the same purpose and thus leave the bling bling at home (WM1A + IER-Z1R)

Jun 14, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #28,344 of 45,723
I will buy an used NWZ-A15 for the commute and also want a pair for f used xba-A3 for the same purpose and thus leave the bling bling at home (WM1A + IER-Z1R)

I sometimes use A45 and 1000XM3 over ldac but mostly just my iPhone and Earin M2, wireless is so addictive

Jun 15, 2019 at 11:59 PM Post #28,345 of 45,723
Decided and bought the mdr-1a over the z7's not sure what to make of it... I'm not used to the whole v shaped signature since it's the opposite to my preferred signature (midcentric). Gonna give it a few days to grow on me. If it doesn't I'm going to sell it and buy the z7 lol.

Jun 16, 2019 at 5:42 AM Post #28,346 of 45,723
Decided and bought the mdr-1a over the z7's not sure what to make of it... I'm not used to the whole v shaped signature since it's the opposite to my preferred signature (midcentric). Gonna give it a few days to grow on me. If it doesn't I'm going to sell it and buy the z7 lol.

I’ve always seen this division at Head-Fi. My first and second Head-Fi meets were a discovery to find/hear different preferences in tone. I’m more bass oriented so it was eye opening to see and hear midcentric rigs that their owners were in love with. You would think there would be more middle of the road IEMs.......though the world still seems very black and white.........bright/dark....to me?

Even in my collection I have three IEM/headphones which stay in the mid-zone? The Noble Encore, the AKG k701 and the Magaosi K5.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #28,347 of 45,723
I’ve always seen this division at Head-Fi. My first and second Head-Fi meets were a discovery to find/hear different preferences in tone. I’m more bass oriented so it was eye opening to see and hear midcentric rigs that their owners were in love with. You would think there would be more middle of the road IEMs.......though the world still seems very black and white.........bright/dark....to me?

Even in my collection I have three IEM/headphones which stay in the mid-zone? The Noble Encore, the AKG k701 and the Magaosi K5.
The reason why my preferences lean toward midcentric is due to the sense of emotion it brings to the equation. On the other hand v shaped sigs, though energetic and quite exciting to hear are devoid of the raw emotion the singer is portraying and sometimes come off as cold sounding. There's just something about midcentric gears that makes my face do weird expressions out of nowhere (especially when its a vocal heavy song lol).

Jun 16, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #28,348 of 45,723
The reason why my preferences lean toward midcentric is due to the sense of emotion it brings to the equation. On the other hand v shaped sigs, though energetic and quite exciting to hear are devoid of the raw emotion the singer is portraying and sometimes come off as cold sounding. There's just something about midcentric gears that makes my face do weird expressions out of nowhere (especially when its a vocal heavy song lol).

I actually gave up trying to analyze the trend. I just chalk it up to how folks are wired. It’s the same with speakers too, where some folks gravitate towards what sounds like bright desktop speakers, and others boomy floorstanders. There is no right or wrong, though it’s maybe nice to try and enjoy a non-preference tone, as when it does seem to click it’s entertaining. My point was even though there is middle of the road tone, there is less around than you would guess. The best thing is maybe for folks to learn what they like? If anything having different IEMs and headphones reconfirms what you like?

Jun 16, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #28,349 of 45,723

It isn’t all that as you stated....it is true for mid-fi and so on, but once you move up to high-end summit tier, these gears are so very capable that it is no longer V shape or Flat or Mid centric ....etc....it can be fine tuned to just slope down some specific range while keeping the other flat...etc...they will also respond very well to other part of the system too, such as cables and even connectors. Whether you can hear and observe it would be another matter, and hugely depend on your player + amplifier as well.

In the end, nothing is as ever simple as they may appear to be. The only thing I can tell you is that, listen to the gears you want, give it a try with your own stuff, including cables....then decide

Jun 17, 2019 at 3:17 AM Post #28,350 of 45,723
It isn’t all that as you stated....it is true for mid-fi and so on, but once you move up to high-end summit tier, these gears are so very capable that it is no longer V shape or Flat or Mid centric ....etc....it can be fine tuned to just slope down some specific range while keeping the other flat...etc...they will also respond very well to other part of the system too, such as cables and even connectors. Whether you can hear and observe it would be another matter, and hugely depend on your player + amplifier as well.

In the end, nothing is as ever simple as they may appear to be. The only thing I can tell you is that, listen to the gears you want, give it a try with your own stuff, including cables....then decide
Actually, after binging, it's actually very tasteful! I'm somewhat hooked to its signature, it's the type that grows on you the longer you listen to it. It's the first bassy gear (both iem and hp) that I can tolerate and enjoy without care. I've always had the notion of "louder is better" but this does the opposite it does better with lower volumes than it does with higher.

Yep, I've already talked with a cable maker to make a custom cable for it, not sure as to what material though...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back