SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 14, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #27,226 of 45,723
The database (Re) build can take some time on larger cards, mine will n first time database build or if I issue the rebuild database command takes areound 15 to 20 minutes (taking into account the 128Gb internal memory is also filled through. Maximum capacity).

After that, there is no issue, no lags no slow downs, all smooth
1550157479715754041644.jpg

Feb 14, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #27,227 of 45,723
Anyone recommend a bluetooth transmitter that works with WM1a\z without video lag? I am trying to find a transmitter to use on a plane for the IFE system. I tried:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EHSX28M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But it will only connect via SBC and has pretty bad lag.

I use the ES100
https://www.amazon.com/EarStudio-ES100-24bit-High-Resolution-Bluetooth-Unbalanced/dp/B078H4YD2L

No lag with SBC. Lad with LDAC (Slight)

I do however use a Nivida Shield for video playback and it's built in Bluetooth transmitter, no lag with SBC but up to 2sec delay via Lossless LDAC. Thankfully I use Kodi that has an audio delay setting that can be manually adjusted.

Feb 14, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #27,228 of 45,723
I use the ES100
https://www.amazon.com/EarStudio-ES100-24bit-High-Resolution-Bluetooth-Unbalanced/dp/B078H4YD2L

No lag with SBC. Lad with LDAC (Slight)

I do however use a Nivida Shield for video playback and it's built in Bluetooth transmitter, no lag with SBC but up to 2sec delay via Lossless LDAC. Thankfully I use Kodi that has an audio delay setting that can be manually adjusted.

Thanks but I am looking for a BT transmitter so I can use my 1z as a receiver. Plan is to connect the analog out of the plane's IFE and then listen via the 1z.

Feb 14, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #27,230 of 45,723
I just received the Sony/KimberKable balanced cable set for my MDR-Z7s. First impressions are that they bring the (in my opinion) laid back performance of the Z7s to life; but only if I use the "high gain output" setting on the WM1A.

I'm assuming that the "high gain output" circuits are drawing more current and will drain the battery more quickly than normal. Any insight into how much "high gain output" impacts battery life on the WM1A?

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #27,231 of 45,723
well dang, re-read the updated manual and for BT receive mode, it only supports SBC, AAC, and LDAC. Aptx and Aptx HD is only supported in transmit mode.

Feb 15, 2019 at 1:45 AM Post #27,233 of 45,723
Doing some late night work and listening to my Laylas and 1z way louder than I should. But damn, it kept me grooving and got my stuff done. Now I have to give my ears a break for the next 16 hours :triportsad:

Feb 15, 2019 at 8:33 PM Post #27,234 of 45,723
I've got upgradeitis as well. Started with an Onkyo DXP-1A which gave me the bug. Ended up selling that and upgrading to the WM1A which in my view is amazing. Now at Saturn and Mobile Markt they have the WM1Z advertised at 2585 Euro. I don't have to pay the VAT which brings the price down to just a little north of 2000 Euro..... Decisions......
tell us when you jump for european WM1Z. I am still thinking about it. But i have no tax rebate. Most probably not. My AK380 is still rocking.

Feb 16, 2019 at 2:53 AM Post #27,235 of 45,723
I tried this BT transmitter:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HNTRGFZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And it works adequately for video with just a touch of lag that doesn't distract. I watched a full length movie and it was good. For best BT video audio sync I think you need the following:
  • A good BT transmitter - needs sufficient processing power to do A to D conversion as close to real time as possible. First one I tried (Taotronics) was pretty bad.
  • Change the BT Receiver Quality on the WM1 to "Connection" instead of "Sound Quality". This will give you the lowest latency.
I plan to use this on planes and occasionally for watching TV at home when I can't use the speakers. While it may seem like overkill when I can just plug my IEMs into the 3.5mm socket, wireless makes it less of a hassle on a plane and most importantly, I can use the WM1 volume control rather than suffer 3-6 dB per click on most plane IFE systems.

Feb 16, 2019 at 3:13 AM Post #27,236 of 45,723
I tried this BT transmitter:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HNTRGFZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And it works adequately for video with just a touch of lag that doesn't distract. I watched a full length movie and it was good. For best BT video audio sync I think you need the following:
  • A good BT transmitter - needs sufficient processing power to do A to D conversion as close to real time as possible. First one I tried (Taotronics) was pretty bad.
  • Change the BT Receiver Quality on the WM1 to "Connection" instead of "Sound Quality". This will give you the lowest latency.
I plan to use this on planes and occasionally for watching TV at home when I can't use the speakers. While it may seem like overkill when I can just plug my IEMs into the 3.5mm socket, wireless makes it less of a hassle on a plane and most importantly, I can use the WM1 volume control rather than suffer 3-6 dB per click on most plane IFE systems.
Great find! Newest tech at affordable pricing !

Feb 16, 2019 at 3:22 AM Post #27,237 of 45,723
Some quick observations of the Sony WM1Z, granted I have only listened to a few hours of music I have some thoughts of it's use with a Campfire Audio Solaris.

Comparing all my impressions against a Chord Mojo connected to a AK70 as digital transport, and a Chord Qutest connected to a HD800 going through a Schit Valhalla 2.

The sound stage and resolution of this DAP is phenomenal. It is creating a sense of space and clarity that I have never heard before in music. For example I was listening to Tv on the radio - Half Way Home, and the sparkling / shimmering percussion has a more open visceral underpinning to it. The Chord Mojo whilst creating this imagery does it in a more clinical less resolving manner. The Qutest does get more, but the Valhalla 2 and HD800 tend to make the highs unpalatable. I look forward to testing this track again once I get the THX 789 and then connect that to the Qutest. Or when I get my THZ :)

The next track was Agnes Obel - Citizen of Glass Track: Red Virgin Soil. This cello laden track is a good test of the mid-bass. I knew the Solaris struggled in this section, so this was a good test track. The WM1Z seems to be very suited to this type of chamber music. The natural warmth in these lower frequencies was very natural and forgiving. Compared to the Mojo combo which sounded like a wet sock filled with coins hitting a table.. The WM1Z at this point started to really pull away from the Mojo, the air in the string instruments were so much more open / clearer. Finally testing this against the HD800 / Qutest, the HD800 started to show it's own muscle. The mid range, and spaciousness were better displayed here than the Solaris, and the Qutest did a great job of resolving faintest shifts in the music. Unfair comparison I know, but worth mentioning.

Now comes the grand realisation for me. Bad music sounds worse on the WM1Z / Campfire Solaris combo. The Chord Mojo stack and Solaris forgave certain tracks I really enjoyed like Eta James - at last and the Hackers OST. This is no longer the case on the WM1Z. The Sony offering not only pulls out poor mastering, it ridicules it like a child with odd socks during physical education. I can heae the gasping undertone of Eta James (192khz / 24bit). The microphone was obviously too close to her in the recording studio, and the air from her mouth is creating an unnatural resonance, which the Solaris / WM1Z combo is emphasising with ease and brutality. Moving onto the Hackers OST, my favourite track from that Era was Orbital Halcyon On. I can now hear the fall off, of the synth between parts of the song. The decay on those tracks is a lot more exposed, as a result the song sounds less coherent and generally worse sounding. These were not discernible on the other two combinations.

The biggest takeaway for me has been that I really need to look at the type of music I put into the WM1Z, its like an honest friend who will show you all your flaws.. I have just as of Thursday got the Reference 8 Balanced cable to start checking my tracks with. So I am sure with the burn-in and continued use my experience will continue to change.

Feb 16, 2019 at 3:31 AM Post #27,238 of 45,723
Some quick observations of the Sony WM1Z, granted I have only listened to a few hours of music I have some thoughts of it's use with a Campfire Audio Solaris.

Comparing all my impressions against a Chord Mojo connected to a AK70 as digital transport, and a Chord Qutest connected to a HD800 going through a Schit Valhalla 2.

The sound stage and resolution of this DAP is phenomenal. It is creating a sense of space and clarity that I have never heard before in music. For example I was listening to Tv on the radio - Half Way Home, and the sparkling / shimmering percussion has a more open visceral underpinning to it. The Chord Mojo whilst creating this imagery does it in a more clinical less resolving manner. The Qutest does get more, but the Valhalla 2 and HD800 tend to make the highs unpalatable. I look forward to testing this track again once I get the THX 789 and then connect that to the Qutest. Or when I get my THZ :)

The next track was Agnes Obel - Citizen of Glass Track: Red Virgin Soil. This cello laden track is a good test of the mid-bass. I knew the Solaris struggled in this section, so this was a good test track. The WM1Z seems to be very suited to this type of chamber music. The natural warmth in these lower frequencies was very natural and forgiving. Compared to the Mojo combo which sounded like a wet sock filled with coins hitting a table.. The WM1Z at this point started to really pull away from the Mojo, the air in the string instruments were so much more open / clearer. Finally testing this against the HD800 / Qutest, the HD800 started to show it's own muscle. The mid range, and spaciousness were better displayed here than the Solaris, and the Qutest did a great job of resolving faintest shifts in the music. Unfair comparison I know, but worth mentioning.

Now comes the grand realisation for me. Bad music sounds worse on the WM1Z / Campfire Solaris combo. The Chord Mojo stack and Solaris forgave certain tracks I really enjoyed like Eta James - at last and the Hackers OST. This is no longer the case on the WM1Z. The Sony offering not only pulls out poor mastering, it ridicules it like a child with odd socks during physical education. I can heae the gasping undertone of Eta James (192khz / 24bit). The microphone was obviously too close to her in the recording studio, and the air from her mouth is creating an unnatural resonance, which the Solaris / WM1Z combo is emphasising with ease and brutality. Moving onto the Hackers OST, my favourite track from that Era was Orbital Halcyon On. I can now hear the fall off, of the synth between parts of the song. The decay on those tracks is a lot more exposed, as a result the song sounds less coherent and generally worse sounding. These were not discernible on the other two combinations.

The biggest takeaway for me has been that I really need to look at the type of music I put into the WM1Z, its like an honest friend who will show you all your flaws.. I have just as of Thursday got the Reference 8 Balanced cable to start checking my tracks with. So I am sure with the burn-in and continued use my experience will continue to change.

Do you have any hours on your 1Z?

Feb 16, 2019 at 3:39 AM Post #27,240 of 45,723
Would I be wasting my funds purchasing Wh1000xm3? Even using the cord?

I think it depends on why you are buying them.

I’ve bought the 1000xm3 and use it without cord, LDAC sounds excellent between the wm1a and 1000xm3. However I bought them for casual use and travelling by air in the summer.
They are not as detailed or accurate as my other earphones/headphones however they are a lovely warm and fun sounding headphone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back