SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 12, 2019 at 7:01 PM Post #27,196 of 45,723
I don’t.

Sony has a much more mature internal production line with TFT LCD. They haven’t even began using OLED in their phones in large scale, so expecting them to use it on devices with an even lower production quantity is highly unrealistic as it will drive cost up while lowering profit, which is not desirable with low volume products.

Didn't Cowon S9's have OLED screens years ago? They were around $300.

Feb 12, 2019 at 7:57 PM Post #27,197 of 45,723
I hadn’t heard of this before so it can’t be that rife here. When I contacted them they told me it was fulfilled by Amazon, so some seller provided it that way. I just assumed that someone had bought the item, swapped it out, and kept the Z1Rs. Whoever did it even fitted polystyrene into the cardboard box to make the z7 box fit correctly.

Anyhoo, i’ll continue my search for the Z1R so I can hear the pair together.

It happened to me several times ordering from Amazon, and I always careful to choose FBA or Amazon it self, first time ordered the KSE1500 and received an empty Sure kse1500 box filled with AAA batteries to make up for the weight. Second time received KSE1500 box but with SE535 inside. And couple of months ago ordered HiFI Ananda and received the empty HiFiman box!

It seems high end headphones are items targeted for scams, dont know if FBA employees or where is the weak link, but really sucks to be waiting to open the box...and boom

Feb 12, 2019 at 8:45 PM Post #27,199 of 45,723
It happened to me several times ordering from Amazon, and I always careful to choose FBA or Amazon it self, first time ordered the KSE1500 and received an empty Sure kse1500 box filled with AAA batteries to make up for the weight. Second time received KSE1500 box but with SE535 inside. And couple of months ago ordered HiFI Ananda and received the empty HiFiman box!

It seems high end headphones are items targeted for scams, dont know if FBA employees or where is the weak link, but really sucks to be waiting to open the box...and boom

Amazon had a problem with people doing the same thing with Canon EOS-1D X Mark II bodies ($5,500 a pop), so it seems to be system wide

Feb 12, 2019 at 8:48 PM Post #27,200 of 45,723
Didn't Cowon S9's have OLED screens years ago? They were around $300.

Even if the component difference in price is just a few dollars on the surface, you multiply that by ten thousand units, add in the time for sourcing and development around a new component vs using something made in-house or had been used in-house for decades with lots of experience to leverage off of (Sony has been making TFT screens for years), then the cost and lost in profit to switch is not as easily justifable, especially one that has little to no effect on sound.

Also as a Korean company, Cowon probably sourced OLED screen cheaply from their fellow countryman Samsung or LG, maybe even get some tax breaks on the way when all the components are local, which is not the same luxury that Sony has.

Feb 12, 2019 at 9:32 PM Post #27,201 of 45,723
It is not that Sony has no luxury over OLED screen...it is that Sony now is not the Sony then.

Back then, everything Sony, and it had reputation of being the leader, the reliability, and so on

Back then, samsung was another 3rd party off brand stuff, no body care...

What went wrong ?

It was obvious, but let's look at the now. If Sony isnt doing things that are worthy of innovation and instead, keep on misleading the market by high-res, and using off the shelves DAC-IC...it may repeat itself.

How are those Xperia holding up ?

Feb 13, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #27,204 of 45,723
My WM1Z came without the plastic protection caps for the USB and jack sockets that I have seen in some videos. Is this common for newest manufactured units?

By the way, and with 210 hour on balanced, I LOVE the SQ of my 1Z!! :L3000:

Feb 13, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #27,205 of 45,723
the 1Z never came with these caps.
if you search this thread you will find a listing for a company which will sell them to you. I seem to remember a complete set goes for under $10. Everyone who is using them has purchased them independently on their own

Feb 13, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #27,206 of 45,723
My WM1Z came without the plastic protection caps for the USB and jack sockets that I have seen in some videos. Is this common for newest manufactured units?

By the way, and with 210 hour on balanced, I LOVE the SQ of my 1Z!! :L3000:

The units do not come with the caps, we order them separately.
I'll look for the link.

Feb 13, 2019 at 1:52 PM Post #27,208 of 45,723
The real Vinyl Engine :D.

I think Vinyls is coming back !! I think Sony is going to press vinyls again too !!
4238FF16-F326-4C1D-9293-8EB99A86C35F.jpeg

Feb 13, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #27,209 of 45,723
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back