SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 24, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #25,037 of 45,723

Is this how I turn high gain on? For my balanced section?? Or will it blow my iems?

It will not blow your IEMs.
It will auto lower the volume by a bit.

Oct 24, 2018 at 11:35 PM Post #25,039 of 45,723
I could never get a good sound that way. I would guess it’s not good due to the fact that your double amping.

I've read these sort of answers regarding the line out and double amping a few times on this forum, I unfortunately will not be receiving my WM1 until next week so I'm unable to test this. Thank you for your reply.

"First, Walkman has Coil-inductors on the output for power amplifications, which is less susceptible to any load resistance...if any (according to Sony engineer, output load resistances is a 0 concern). There are 0 operational Amplifiers of any short of which is very sensitive to load resistances, which will heavily be affected by further amplification out to input. Further more, Walkman Wm1a/z doesn't have MOSFET for switching modes within it chains for relay mechanism, but a solid mechanical relay to further suppress noises.

Even further than that, Digital block of S-master is all shielded up and deflecting possible noises from analog block away.

There are even more than that such as the uses of Capacitors....etc...., of which Sony engineers said that Headphones output IS your line-out, period.

Walkman Wm1A/Z is not dependent on load resistances, and therefore double amplifications is not a thing to be worrying about."

Oct 25, 2018 at 4:58 AM Post #25,040 of 45,723
I've read these sort of answers regarding the line out and double amping a few times on this forum, I unfortunately will not be receiving my WM1 until next week so I'm unable to test this. Thank you for your reply.

"First, Walkman has Coil-inductors on the output for power amplifications, which is less susceptible to any load resistance...if any (according to Sony engineer, output load resistances is a 0 concern). There are 0 operational Amplifiers of any short of which is very sensitive to load resistances, which will heavily be affected by further amplification out to input. Further more, Walkman Wm1a/z doesn't have MOSFET for switching modes within it chains for relay mechanism, but a solid mechanical relay to further suppress noises.

Even further than that, Digital block of S-master is all shielded up and deflecting possible noises from analog block away.

There are even more than that such as the uses of Capacitors....etc...., of which Sony engineers said that Headphones output IS your line-out, period.

Walkman Wm1A/Z is not dependent on load resistances, and therefore double amplifications is not a thing to be worrying about."

When I plugged a 3.5mm single ended cable then went 2X RCA to my Asgard it really didn't sound good. Though I guess you could go to a power amp and turn the amp on after it was all plugged in with the volume down? The Walkmans sound good going to a DAC, but they have gone away from any line out, only digital out. What you have posted seems to be about the quietness of the amp and the noise floor. My experience was it simply didn't sound good trying to go to an amp. Now I have the Sony TA amp, which allows for digital in from the 1A/1Z.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2018 at 5:02 AM Post #25,041 of 45,723
screenshot_20160429_204732645.png
dock.jpg

Strange as I can only get DAC functionality with the dock, though it does sound great with my Macbook Air.

Oct 25, 2018 at 6:04 AM Post #25,042 of 45,723
Strange as I can only get DAC functionality with the dock, though it does sound great with my Macbook Air.

I tried the DAC functionality but didn't work at all with the bundled cable and my MacBook Pro 15, does it work only with the Sony app or can you use it as a full DAC as I expected?

Oct 25, 2018 at 7:06 AM Post #25,043 of 45,723
I tried the DAC functionality but didn't work at all with the bundled cable and my MacBook Pro 15, does it work only with the Sony app or can you use it as a full DAC as I expected?

You mean https://musiccenter.sony.net/en/?

I think that’s only PC? I’m not sure? I’m using the dreaded ITunes. But only because I still use iPods walking around. So my music files end up in iTunes. I use DAPs with the TA amp, not really listening off a computer that much. Though I can say Bluetooth was good for movies on the MacBook, but too much delay in DAC mode for me.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2018 at 7:07 AM Post #25,044 of 45,723
You mean https://musiccenter.sony.net/en/?
I think that’s only PC? I’m not sure? I’m using the dreaded ITunes. But only because I still use iPods walking around. So my music files end up in iTunes. I use DAPs with the TA amp.

Ok thanks, but you're saying doesn't work either with Mac plugged with the USB cable, only the dock ?

Oct 25, 2018 at 7:13 AM Post #25,045 of 45,723
Ok thanks, but you're saying doesn't work either with Mac plugged with the USB cable, only the dock ?

People on this thread have been able to get the 1A/1Z to perform the DAC funtion on Macintosh with the supplied cable. I myself can get the MacBook Air to recognize the Walkman but it keeps shutting off DAC function and restarting DAC function inside the computer. So the Sony dock allowed me to use a small mini-USB; which normally is computer pass through to the TA amp. The dock has no DAC function for the Walkmans it just seemed to work. Plus it sounds really good. Though I’m not sure about HD support as if you look at my post the DAC is registering PCM 44.1???

For people with the TA amp, the 1Z/1A DAC function is not that big of deal as we already have computer in to the TA. Probably the one good thing about the dock and laptop is it’s portable where the TA amp is heavy.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2018 at 7:20 AM Post #25,046 of 45,723
People on this thread have been able to get the 1A/1Z to perform the DAC funtion on Macintosh with the supplied cable. I myself can get the MacBook Air to recognize the Walkman but it keeps shutting off DAC function and restarting DAC function inside the computer. So the Sony dock allowed me to use a small mini-USB; which normally is computer pass through to the TA amp. The dock has no DAC function for the Walkmans it just seemed to work. Plus it sounds really good. Though I’m not sure about HD support as if you look at my post the DAC is registering PCM 44.1???

Ok nice to know I have the same issue you did, I guess it also depends on your Mac mine is a 15" retina with touchbar fairly recent so use of the USB C adapter is mandatory I think that might be the issue...

Oct 25, 2018 at 7:24 AM Post #25,047 of 45,723

For people with the TA amp, the 1Z/1A DAC function is not that big of deal as we already have computer in to the TA. Probably the one good thing about the dock and laptop is it’s portable where the TA amp is heavy.

I’m no Mac perso but somebody in this thread mentioned some reset steps they had todo on parts of the Mac system after which it worked

Oct 25, 2018 at 7:25 AM Post #25,048 of 45,723
Ok nice to know I have the same issue you did, I guess it also depends on your Mac mine is a 15" retina with touchbar fairly recent so use of the USB C adapter is mandatory I think that might be the issue...

I went looking around and found there was no software to enable the 1Z/1A with a Mac. There was a FW update package at Sony and the Mac music transfer software. I haven’t played with the music transfer software as I use a PC and simply put files in the Walkmans and cards from there.

Maybe more folks who were successful at using their Mac and Walkman as a DAC can chime in on how they did it?

Oct 25, 2018 at 7:26 AM Post #25,049 of 45,723
I’m no Mac perso but somebody in this thread mentioned some reset steps they had todo on parts of the Mac system after which it worked

Oh, they had to make their Mac, into out of the box style?

Oct 25, 2018 at 7:30 AM Post #25,050 of 45,723
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back