SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 6, 2018 at 6:39 AM Post #24,316 of 45,723
interested in buying a 4.4 ares ii (8-wire) , if you have one for sale hit me up

Oct 6, 2018 at 7:03 AM Post #24,317 of 45,723
no worries , i have saved all wm1a FWs , just in case

3.0 though was not for me , maybe for people who have warm/veiled iems may be a better fit but with zeus the combo is not optimal
Which update do you recommend for the zeus pairing? I kinda like the 3.00 fw with mine. Since i have the xiv 2.00 was abit, albeit the mids sounded very good, claustrophobic.

Oct 6, 2018 at 7:13 AM Post #24,318 of 45,723
Which update do you recommend for the zeus pairing? I kinda like the 3.00 fw with mine. Since i have the xiv 2.00 was abit, albeit the mids sounded very good, claustrophobic.

if you like 3.0 you should stay with it , there is no universal right/wrong here - it comes down to personal preference and iems synergy

i am happy with 2.0 , 3.0 made the sound kinda screechy to my ears

besides, i don't use wm1a as a dac/bluetooth so i had zero concern whether i should get back to 2.0

you only have XIV ? well XIV brings the mids closer but also lifts the upper mids a bit , 3.0 was not optimal with both of my XR settings , but like i said we all hear differently so use the FW you like best

Oct 6, 2018 at 7:30 AM Post #24,319 of 45,723
It sure would be interesting if HD files reproduced a different frequency response in your testing with 3.0?

This kind of testing is done by importing a WAV file generated by Room EQ Wizard (free app). It contains a swipe file from 20 Hz to 20 kHz. I've tested using longer swipes and have found practically no difference. From what I see since making my first 400 measurements, I think there would be completely no difference if I used the same file but in DSD, for example.

Oct 6, 2018 at 7:34 AM Post #24,320 of 45,723
Guys, you note a difference between the diverse modes of the vinyl processor? i can't
Yes, they sound slightly different. It's nothing huge, though! I like the last one most, it feels a bit brighter and spacious.

Oct 6, 2018 at 8:16 AM Post #24,321 of 45,723
What would really be a gift is if you could measure the distinct frequency differences between 2.0 and FW 3.0.
As some already hear no differences from 2.0 to 3.0. And...... some hear 3.0 warm and others think 3.0 is less bass heavy. Lol

So you inspired me maybe not to switch firmwares too many times, but rather to compare WM1Z to Ultima and to AK380SS. Here we go.

Zrzut ekranu 2018-10-6 o 14.04.10.png
As you may see, they are practically identical.

I've even tested to see if setting the volume up would make any changes. It does not.

I've also tested balanced vs unbalanced, using an additional pigtail to single endd. There is practically no difference in terms of the QUANTITY of bass, highs or anything (!!!).

We may see some differences in the highs, but they are really negligible and should be taken into account of measuring fault tolerance. These are only +/- 1dB or less, note the scale on the left. This is like a huge zoom into the highest registers.

Zrzut ekranu 2018-10-6 o 14.05.28.png

Here's the one biggest difference I could find:
Zrzut ekranu 2018-10-6 o 14.06.17.png
So yeah, WM1Z may be a tad... brighter than Ultima Cu :wink: But also, maybe not.

This was done on direct settings, no EQ or anything.

I hope that kinda destroys any theories about hearing more bass or less highs on anything. What we really hear is not a change in quantity of bass, mids, highs or anything. We just listen to it after having a good sleep and every day we hear a bit differently because of weather changes and other circumstances, and we also don't remember perfectly up to +/- 1dB what we heard the day before.

We probably hear real differences (because I hear them also!), but in phase, jitter, impulse response, etc. That's what makes us feel that something is a bit brighter or anything.

Hope that clears things up. Have a nice weekend guys!

PS as we also see, there really should be no difference in terms of QUANTITY of tones between 2.0 and 3.0. I'm not sure about the dark 1.02, though :wink: But it was probably only a matter of not using the DAC properly and producing some distortions which made it warmer, I reckon.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #24,325 of 45,723
tag and rename has a really neat feature that will do the google image search as the you have the album art gadjet open and you can drag and drop right on
also, tag and rename resizes the art to 200k
I appreciate it, but how to do I add it to my 1z after I download to my pc?

Oct 6, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #24,328 of 45,723
somebody here asked about tidal streaming --

my comments from a mac/iphone user

on mac:
- if you use tidal app master tracks only play in 44.1khz resolution, the tidal app does not detect WMA1 as an MQA device like it does with another DAC, for example dragonfly red.
- on audiorvana it seems like anything up to 96khz it'll plan in native resolution but then it caps out at that, the 192khz files get downsampled to 96.

on iPhone
- in usb dac mode through regular tidal app the most you'll get is 44.1khz
- in usb dac mode through something like 'mconnect' you'll get up to 48khtz but it does state that it's at 24bit and the bit rates seem to be in excess of 1600kbps so it makes me believe it actually is 24bit stuff that gets through
- in BT dac mode all you get is AAC, i don't know what sample rate it's at but definitely not even CD quality no matter what you stream.

hope this answers some questions for people.

Oct 6, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #24,329 of 45,723
I find it amazing to see several people reporting sound changes. To be honest, it's most probably a placebo effect or your brain having different expectations after the update. Or, it may have something to do with listening the player more carefully after the update to "catch" some changes. Don't underestimate our brains' impact on sound.

Also, the impressions are contradicting. Some report it has more bass, more warmth and everything, and some say it's brighter, leaner, metallic etc. etc...

No disrespect whatsoever about your ears or your experiences, but I can't take these impressions seriously. Changing the firmware back and forth and listening to it after several minutes, is not a reliable practice to share conclusive thoughts about a "changed sound".

Everyone has their opinion, but I've been using my 1A for a very long period of time, and I ran through all the updates including this 3.0 FW, and I've never ever heard a difference in sound with any of them.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #24,330 of 45,723
Has anyone successfully paired WM1A/Z with Car Audio system via Bluetooth Receiver ?

My Honda HRV unable to detect Bluetooth audio devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back