SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #23,341 of 45,723
For many of us using the equipment we have in slightly less than ideal situations can help us appreciate when stuff gets put together well. I think the power reputation of the Sony DAPs precedes them as it was a dream of many to have a DAP which could drive full size headphones.

It all comes down to musical enjoyment, though if possible it’s always better to hear your full-size headphones from a desktop amp, before going out and breaking the rules. But the Z7 and Z1R are incredibly easy to drive. The other thing is portability; being able to go anywhere without a cord is something special in itself. The power was out where I live most of the day yesterday. That said having the Sony DAPs and acoustic guitars around meant music was still easy to acquire.

I actually like the combination I originally mentioned as much as I like Sennheiser HD 650 out of a Bottlehead Crack with the Speedball. Maybe even a little more... and I never use that, I much prefer being untethered and mobile.

Sep 6, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #23,342 of 45,723
I actually like the combination I originally mentioned as much as I like Sennheiser HD 650 out of a Bottlehead Crack with the Speedball. Maybe even a little more... and I never use that, I much prefer being untethered and mobile.

Even though it’s enjoyable, there is a profound difference getting either the Z7 or Z1R connected to the TA amp. I don’t think there is any admirable sound quality differences better than the TA amp with the DAPs but it’s still nice sounding. I just listened to the new remaster of Moontan 1973 by Golden Earring. I used the 1Z and Z7 and found it to really be all I needed at the time. Though it’s a loud remaster, where the needle drops of the same album don’t actually get loud enough with that specific combo.

Sep 6, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #23,344 of 45,723
Just to confirm again - once the firmware update comes out - when using an iPhone to play Tidal

A) full resolution playback achieved when using the Apple CCK plugged into the iPhone and the Sony proprietary cable between the CCK and 1Z

B) compromised resolution when streaming WIRELESSLY between the iPhone and 1Z using the AAC codec

Correct?

I don't think anyone here can actually answer this properly at this point. It all just opinions until its released.

Sep 6, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #23,345 of 45,723
Just ordered the wm1a to pair with my ee phantom and fitear435 hope i wont regret

Sep 6, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #23,347 of 45,723
unless he is rich he is gonna be fine with wm1a

paying 3x for a 20% improvement , definitely a move for people with money to burn

looks like it's gonna be wm1a for me , i can not justify buying it (if i win a lottery or sth like that , everything changes ofc)

Sep 6, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #23,348 of 45,723

paying 3x for a 20% improvement , definitely a move for people with money to burn

looks like it's gonna be wm1a for me , i can not justify buying it (if i win a lottery or sth like that , everything changes ofc)
Dude, money can be made, your hearing distingerations can not be stopped whether you listen to an iPod or a DMP-Z1

Sep 6, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #23,349 of 45,723

In this hobby doesn’t matter if the items you buy is $10s or $1000s you always end up burning money because people keep trying to buy the next best thing and sell their old stuff which you end up losing/burning money

Sep 6, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #23,350 of 45,723
Dude, money can be made, your hearing distingerations can not be stopped whether you listen to an iPod or a DMP-Z1

I got my first high-resolution audio player and excellent headphones after a massive stroke came very close to killing me. PayPal credit...

Sep 6, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #23,351 of 45,723
I used to think I would not need a pair of MDR - Z1R's, and ended buying them from @purk for a nice price, when you have saved enough money and you have a dream like me of having a nice set of HPs ot doesn't matter how much the price was, money will be recovered with investment funds

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #23,353 of 45,723
I got my first high-resolution audio player and excellent headphones after a massive stroke came very close to killing me. PayPal credit...
Thank goodness for Paypal credit!

Kidding aside, it's true our hearing deterioriate as we get older.
Once upon a time I could hear like a bat, now its lucky if I can hear above 16khz
Well just saying, once its gone, its gone for good; so plan accordingly :o2smile:

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #23,354 of 45,723
Thank goodness for Paypal credit!

Kidding aside, it's true our hearing deterioriate as we get older.
Once upon a time I could hear like a bat, now its lucky if I can hear above 16khz
Well just saying, once its gone, its gone for good; so plan accordingly :o2smile:

My last hearing test at age 50 to have me going up to about 18,500 Hz... I guess that's pretty good for being in your 50s

Sep 6, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #23,355 of 45,723
My last hearing test at age 50 to have me going up to about 18,500 Hz... I guess that's pretty good for being in your 50s

At 55 I can hear about 17khz but have a serious dip at 7-9khz on my left ear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back