SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 17, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #22,892 of 45,723
Aug 17, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #22,893 of 45,723
Aug 17, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #22,894 of 45,723
Aug 17, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #22,895 of 45,723
Seems like Sony has abandoned music center for PC, no new updates since last year, while content transfer for. Mac has received a recent update

Aug 17, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #22,896 of 45,723
A few non-audio observations from AK SP1000 to WM1z
  • Sony has battery care feature that limits max charge to 90%. This is very important for LiON battery life and mandatory on Tesla battery packs. Tesla has run tests and found by keeping battery use between 80% and 20% (never top off, never fully drain), the battery degradation is less than 5% over 5 years. Even more important - you can leave the power connected 24x7 without fear of degrading life. This is huge for the upcoming USB DAC feature. With the AK, I would charge then use battery for USB DAC mode, then recharge as needed.
  • Album artist sort - yes, AK has yet to add this feature. Work around was to use folder view which sucks because you have 2 separate volumes instead of one nice streamlined directory.
  • There seems to be a couple mechanical relays where I hear clicking when sampling rates change and when I played around with the direct sound options. Now, one might ask What, why not solid state relays? Mechanical relays need very little power and are fully off or on (e.g. low noise). Solid state has the potential for problems in this regard and have a habit staying shorted when they fail. Schiit uses mechanical relays too. I suspect AK uses solid state because I never heard any clicking noises.
  • 4.4mm is the future. More robust than AK 2.5mm and much higher quality connection with large pads/springs to connector surface. Also can be wired in numerous ways to connect to other components.
  • The upcoming BT receiver function will be great for videos and lossy streaming from your phone/PC without the need for wires and very low power usage. LDAC is the future for hi-res BT since Sony has given it away to Android. Only wish Apple would do the same.
  • Sony battery life and management - goes without saying but this is head and shoulders above everyone else. I had a Sony smartphone that I used as a transport. I left it unused for about 3-4 months. When I turned it on, it only lost 5% charge over that time. This and the long operating time makes a week of use on the road very possible without having to take a charger along.
  • Buttons versus rotary dials. While a matter of personal preference, I feel anything that is going to be used on the go should only have buttons for controls so no inadvertent changes in volume.
  • WM-Port - why Sony why????? This is about the only criticism I have. If there was a robust ecosystem like Apple, I can understand, but What does Sony offer on the other end of this WM-Port? In fact the other end is just standard USB!
  • No wifi and no DLNA support. I personally don't need this, but anyone who does will need to look elsewhere. I am not 100% convinced there are audio benefits to leaving wifi out given the signal is in the 5 GHz band, but I do like the fact that if I don't need it, then don't add it.
  • Feature request to Sony - when USB DAC mode comes out, how about a power on sequence like power + volume up that boots up in DAC mode?
I think this shows that Sony put a lot more thought into their flagship DAPs than the likes of AK and numerous ChiFi brands. I remember having a conversation with a colleague who was critical of the "alphabet soup" of Sony marketing fluff. While some of that may be true, Sony also has a lot of nuanced features that as a whole really do make sense. I suspect that many will call the new DMP "brilliant" a year or 2 from now.

Audio impressions coming after burn in and incoming new cable with 4.4 plug.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #22,898 of 45,723
http://www.chinaglobalmall.com/products/560753357040

Don't know why this site is in hebrew... but here you go..
Ouch $145 for usb c, it might not work as those WM port doesn't have chip in it to transfer digital, the big one does
SmartSelect_20180816-184025_Chrome.jpg

Aug 17, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #22,903 of 45,723
which cable would i need to use my wm1a as DAC with my Dell Laptop (Foobar app) ?

Actually when the DAC function is enabled, this cable WMC-NWH10 is the recommended cable adapter. Sony stores in Japan actually market this as the most High-Res option (When connecting to audiophile USB) to passing signal out to an AMP, and so it will work the same in reverse for DAC function.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #22,904 of 45,723
Actually when the DAC function is enabled, this cable WMC-NWH10 is the recommended cable adapter. Sony stores in Japan actually market this as the most High-Res option (When connecting to audiophile USB) to passing signal out to an AMP, and so it will work the same in reverse for DAC function.
That is correct, as this cable have the chip in it and the chip capability is for digital hi res transfer, as for the normal wm port that doesn't have the chip, it doesn't have the capability to transfer digital hi res, it can only do analog, so by converting the female end of the cable to usb c or micro usb is the best way to go, same way go with chord hugo and mojo, this is the only cable that will work

Aug 17, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #22,905 of 45,723
B23BE8C9-8496-4236-A2BF-BA1276F4CB25.png

Also let’s not forget about the dock. As has been posted numerous times the dock blows the dongle out of the water in sound. Also not mentioned is the imperative AudioQuest Cinnamon or Carbon USB.

You are infact suggesting the second best senerio here; be advised of that.

https://www.amazon.com/Walkman-Cradle-BCR-NWH10-NW-ZX2-Japan/dp/B00S94R5RK
https://www.audioquest.com/cables/digital-cables/usb-a-to-b/cinnamon
https://www.audioquest.com/cables/digital-cables/usb-a-to-b/carbon

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back