SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #18,271 of 45,723
I read some reviews that Sony WM1A is more solid state sound & Sony WM1Z is more analogue tubey Sound as both these players have different capacitors.

Yes that is what it seems. I never heard the 1A

Jan 28, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #18,272 of 45,723
Yes that is what it seems. I never heard the 1A

another thing to keep in mind when reading comparisons is fw rev, 1.2 vs 2.0. I mean, all is just a relative comparison per ones perception, but to my ears with 1Z the change from 1.2 to 2.0 was noticeable enough, especially with 3.5mm SE output, and also the reason why we had so many discussions about some people going back to 1.2 because they want more of that "tubey" sound :wink:

Jan 28, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #18,278 of 45,723
I bought the 1Z because at the time I could afford to (couldn’t today) and just wanted to avoid the “what if” nagging question. I love it and fully expect to keep it until it dies. Charging it once a week the battery should last near 10 years

I got WM1A because is the only thing AccessoryJack was offering (and i didn't know after some time you can import some stuff, not all, from Aamzon US to mexico) and is what i can generally afford, as a software engineer, i get a crappy salary of 800 euro/month over here in mexico, But i determined to save for the supposed 40th walkman jubilee edition release somewhere between 2018-2019

I read some reviews that Sony WM1A is more solid state sound & Sony WM1Z is more analogue tubey Sound as both these players have different capacitors.
Not really, some CDs if not all, depends how they were mastered, but i get close to analogue sound, more if i use Hi-res and DSD

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2018 at 7:08 PM Post #18,279 of 45,723
I got WM1A because is the only thing AccessoryJack was offering (and i didn't know after some time you can import some stuff, not all, from Aamzon US to mexico) and is what i can generally afford, as a software engineer, i get a crappy salary of 800 euro/month over here in mexico

Not really, some CDs if not all, depends how they were mastered, but i get close to analogue sound, more if i use Hi-res and DSD

Which one do you have the WM1A or WM1Z.

I wouldn’t buy from accessory jack it’s not an autnorised dealer I heard some people had problems with their Daps.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #18,280 of 45,723
Which one do you have the WM1A or WM1Z.

I wouldn’t buy from accessory jack it’s not an autnorised dealer I heard some people had problems with their Daps.
WM1A. what you say is correct, I had problems with my previous DAP which also bought from AccessoryJack. But they handled warranty seamslessly, except that i had to pay for shipping for and from accesory jack

Jan 28, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #18,281 of 45,723
WM1A. what you say is correct, I had problems with my previous DAP which also bought from AccessoryJack. But they handled warranty seamslessly, except that i had to pay for shipping for and from accesory jack

Please don’t buy from accessory jack in future it’s to be avoided you don’t know if it’s counterfeit either they sell it cheaper. Always buy from an authorised dealer because if something goes wrong warranty is covered by Sony it’s genuine product. So did accessory jack fixed the problem.

I

Jan 28, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #18,282 of 45,723
when sony releases the 40th anniversary edition walkman (walkman will be 40 in 2019) i promise i will buy the top model... i fear that maybe sony will have plans like apple to slash their walkman line (apple killed almost all iPods, except for iTouch) so if osny releases a 40th i get the top model...

I do certainly doubt sony has such drastic plans like apple did with their iPod, but the fear remains as streaming is catching over downloads to own forever or CD media

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2018 at 7:30 PM Post #18,283 of 45,723
I bet there is a difference between WM1Z and WM1A... if i can detect small nuances such as "lossy" process when converting a DSD to PCM, yes there is a difference but minimal and the 1A has sufficient resolution to unmask this. and hearing a big improvement over SE using BAL, from canny toilet-recorded sounding Haydn wind divertimenti to a church recording, with defects in damping the echoeing but whoa a vast improvement, i was left shoked

for this recording i had to ddo some sonic makeup to somehow fix it but not perfectly, heavy EQ and L/R balance, DSEE HX and DC phase linearizer

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2018 at 7:37 PM Post #18,284 of 45,723
image.jpeg
when sony releases the 40th anniversary edition walkman (walkman will be 40 in 2019) i promise i will buy the top model... i fear that maybe sony will have plans like apple to slash their walkman line (apple killed almost all iPods, except for iTouch) so if osny releases a 40th i get the top model...

I do certainly doubt sony has such drastic plans like apple did with their iPod, but the fear remains as streaming is catching over downloads to own forever or CD media

Ya! Let's hope they don't have some idea to go Way-Way back.

Jan 28, 2018 at 8:08 PM Post #18,285 of 45,723
1A 1Z there are difference in components.
There sure are sound differences. Owning 1A, to me 1Z has a darker background and some qualities that attracts me more than 1A. That was fw 1.2. I have not get to try fw 2.0 yet.

C/P ratio is very subjective. It is down to what you use it to compare with.

1A and 1Z fits user of different price points.
It's more fair if you compare each with players that are near that price point or range. Like what the Japanese Audio awards do.

1A and 1Z is a family along with ZX-300, please don't do internal fights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back