SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 13, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #16,366 of 45,723
I’m in the minority here, but definitely not a fan of 2.0 on the wm1z with my Sony z1r. I updated last night and almost instantly recognized it was a mistake. Yes, it was louder – I usually listen at 60 w/ balanced output and had to reduce to 50. But the depth/layering of the soundstage seemed almost flat with everything receiving equal attention. It reminded me more of how the wm1a sounded when I auditioned it and the wm1z together for a couple of weeks.

Listening to Father & Son on Cat Steven’s Tea for the Tillerman DSD with 1.1 or 1.2 fw, there is so much depth between primary vocals, the chorus “behind” Cat Stevens and the instruments in front but all of that largely disappeared with 2.0… all seeming to be linear and upfront. Same thing with other tracks that I’ve listened to over and over on the wm1z. My stomach dropped when I was afraid I had destroyed the lushness of what I had grown accustomed to. Thankfully you CAN reinstall older firmware which I did after 30 minutes and successfully converted back.

I know everyone has different tastes but 2.0 is definitely not for me. I simply cannot believe Sony would make such a drastic change without a fair warning to customers..

How can you reinstall previous firmware? Mine is EU uncaped version and im worried i lose the uncap if i downgrade firmware..

Thanks!

Nov 13, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #16,367 of 45,723
where is a download for firmware 1.2 WM1Z?

Nov 13, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #16,368 of 45,723
I think Sony removes the older F/W after a new release, you probably have to ask someone to upload it for you.

Nov 13, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #16,369 of 45,723
I’m in the minority here, but definitely not a fan of 2.0 on the wm1z with my Sony z1r. I updated last night and almost instantly recognized it was a mistake. Yes, it was louder – I usually listen at 60 w/ balanced output and had to reduce to 50. But the depth/layering of the soundstage seemed almost flat with everything receiving equal attention. It reminded me more of how the wm1a sounded when I auditioned it and the wm1z together for a couple of weeks.

Listening to Father & Son on Cat Steven’s Tea for the Tillerman DSD with 1.1 or 1.2 fw, there is so much depth between primary vocals, the chorus “behind” Cat Stevens and the instruments in front but all of that largely disappeared with 2.0… all seeming to be linear and upfront. Same thing with other tracks that I’ve listened to over and over on the wm1z. My stomach dropped when I was afraid I had destroyed the lushness of what I had grown accustomed to. Thankfully you CAN reinstall older firmware which I did after 30 minutes and successfully converted back.

I know everyone has different tastes but 2.0 is definitely not for me. I simply cannot believe Sony would make such a drastic change without a fair warning to customers..
You might want to let it settle. Like you I was initially underwhelmed, so I decided to burn in a little more, 20hrs later and my oh my - never heard my westones sound so good.

Nov 13, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #16,370 of 45,723
someone posted the 1.02 FW a few pages back , that's where i got it

oh man the 1.20 FW for wm1a sounds nice , i am still not sold on upgrading to 2.00

Nov 13, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #16,373 of 45,723
Balanced and se are not software controlled.

Is hardware and balances is not just separating the wires and channel pluses and minuses, is about noise reduction by using some mathematical function and the inversion of the sine wave 180°. This function also gives 2X the voltage

The noise reduction by math only apllies to balanced connections between things like amps abd preamps, not to headphone connections

Nov 13, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #16,374 of 45,723
Nov 13, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #16,375 of 45,723
Using Z1R and 1A with the balanced output and DSD files:

IMG_3857.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #16,380 of 45,723
Misread..sorry for that. Was in traffic and read it as what is wrong with your ears.

It sounds more like a 1z with 2.0 update. Need to listen more, but Before the player had more treble and was crisp though one can say it may had a slight grain. Made things sound more "live". Felt Bass was a bit subdued, but i liked the quality Sound now has better bass foundation, treble is smoother and overall sounds less solid state and more tubey. Doesnt sound as "live". Sounds for me more muffled and diffuse in comparison though i like the slightly darker tonality and bass. Makes things sound bigger scale but less natural. I listen to mostly jazz and classical so my immediate reaction isnt feeling so hot with these changes. Im not used to 2.00 yet so ill go back and forth before confirming my preference

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back