Sony NW-WM1Z Owner and Impressions !
Nov 10, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #138 of 175
Thanks for posting again Mike.

May 19, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #146 of 175
But I wasn't, I was always focusing on the Sony DAP regarding their overall technical achievements when doing something from scratch.

And as I said, the SQ POV is now rather subjective and not very objective - nearly all TOTL DAPs now have solved FR and harmonic distortion problems, got rid of background noise and hisses and output impedance which are all issues that easily shows up in measurements, so without any more talking points now a lot of the reviews comparing DAPs say such things as "micro detail retrieval" for DAP X is superior than DAP Y or that DAP Y sounds "more airy" than DAP X yet when you look at measurements it shows very little if any difference, so how do we objectively make that comparison and deciding which one is objectively better? I don't believe we can't anymore as the moment sound is interpreted by our brain everything is subjective and the qualities often discussed in reviews are not easily quantifiable, so IMO it's not really something worth discussing when getting to this level of TOTL DAPs as the discussion regarding SQ here at this level is just going to be subjective rather than objective, and people should be mindful of their language - so rather than say "I think DAP X is better than DAP Y" which gives a false impression of "better" like the sun is bigger than the earth, they may have to think about saying "I like DAP X more than DAP Y" instead to really say what they mean - that they subjectively prefer DAP X over DAP Y - like a person preferring pizza over a burger - as neither is the objectively "better" choice.

However when it comes to things like battery efficiency, output power, these are objective facts where direct comparisons can and should be made. Sony is making strides here and catching up on an area where they were traditionally behind, so I don't see how giving them credit where credit is due is me being a sales rap when the numbers shows that they've done what they said they did.
well said!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back