SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Apr 9, 2024 at 8:10 PM Post #15,346 of 15,606
I would have to agreed with this statement. They can drive the IER Z1R just fine, but not as good as the more powerful players or devices should be, such as 320M or D16 from Ibasso
Would care to explain more in detail what is the difference in drivability? Is it more slam in dynamics? Less perceived distortion? More effortless sounding?

Apr 9, 2024 at 8:17 PM Post #15,347 of 15,606
Another good iem that perfectly portrays Sony DSP mastery is Dita Perpetua. The driver is able to display their effect effortlessly.
Actually I would think that Sony DSEE Ultimate’s AI recreation/remastering of the songs dynamics makes me feel that a lot of the music recordings out there is not fully utilising the available dynamic range of the headphones/iems. Even if your amplifier can deliver so many watts of output but the music itself doesn’t have the dynamic contrast to begin with, then high power is pretty much nothing but just louder.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 8:27 PM Post #15,348 of 15,606
Would care to explain more in detail what is the difference in drivability? Is it more slam in dynamics? Less perceived distortion? More effortless sounding?
Perceived distortions may be hard to discern but definitely more dynamic and more effortless with more powerful devices. Not all powerful players or devices will perform similar, but if they are of proper quality, you should be able to always get a more effortless performances which includes mostly the authoritative of dynamic punches, detailed textures and soundstages with pinpoint locality and positioning

Apr 9, 2024 at 8:48 PM Post #15,350 of 15,606
hi guys , what is the best way to stream qobuz on z1m2? stock qobuz vs uapp or roon arc?
Go with stock Qobuz.
Use Sony DSP if you need to

Apr 9, 2024 at 9:26 PM Post #15,351 of 15,606
Perceived distortions may be hard to discern but definitely more dynamic and more effortless with more powerful devices. Not all powerful players or devices will perform similar, but if they are of proper quality, you should be able to always get a more effortless performances which includes mostly the authoritative of dynamic punches, detailed textures and soundstages with pinpoint locality and positioning
Couldn't have said it better. It's not about volume, but the quality of the output. Not to say it sounds bad with the walkman, it just so happens that we also have the 320MaxTi to compare against, and there are times that IEMs have better synergy with another DAP. Just like there are times where the walkman surprises me by giving me better performance with certain headphones, vis-a-vis the Max.

Apr 10, 2024 at 1:19 AM Post #15,352 of 15,606
For the IER-Z1R, I can't comment about the 320MAXTi but I definitely prefer Blondie with DSEE Ultimate over the DX320X with Amp 14. The tonality over most genres, bass quality and depth is a step up for me.. YMMV.

Apr 10, 2024 at 10:40 AM Post #15,354 of 15,606
Do you guys switch off the Walkman overnight or keep it on standby all the time ?

Apr 10, 2024 at 11:21 AM Post #15,358 of 15,606
Mine is set to power off after 1 hour
I had the same setting On but came across below points in pic and now thinking if it is better to just switch it off once at night when I know I’m not gonna use it for next 12 hrs or so.

IMG_1881.jpeg

Apr 10, 2024 at 11:35 AM Post #15,360 of 15,606
Sounds like you do more than one listening session per day. At most, I do one listening session per day. Our use case is different.
Ya I do shorter listening session whenever I get time. I agree makes more sense for me to switch it off at night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back