SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Apr 8, 2024 at 10:39 PM Post #15,331 of 15,604
I do not know if it is possible to change usernames on this forum, best to contact the admin to find out.

I think being able to experience Jacky Cheung’s vocal cords come alive with the Swissbit microSD is a priceless thing for me. Ability for the equipment to present such intricate nuances in vocal cord vibrations like this is what makes music feels so much more emotive to listen to.

This is why he is regarded as the Godly Legend in the Chinese world, check out his vocal range at 2min 52sec onwards

Epic. 🔥
Did you happen to attend his recent concert?

Apr 8, 2024 at 11:40 PM Post #15,332 of 15,604
I also manage to try Swissbit late night.
My preference will be Swissbit SLC, Swissbit S55, followed by Micron.
Micron is too bright, Swissbit S55 is darker, Swissbit SLC give just enough spark.
How does the SanDisk edge compare in this scale?

Unfortunately 2GB SLC is insufficient capacity. Maybe it can work if one don’t mind transferring songs from the Walkman internal storage into the card for playback.

Apr 9, 2024 at 12:56 AM Post #15,334 of 15,604
How does the SanDisk edge compare in this scale?

Unfortunately 2GB SLC is insufficient capacity. Maybe it can work if one don’t mind transferring songs from the Walkman internal storage into the card for playback.
My preference overall is still Sandisk Edge.
At zero hrs burn-in for all cards, the preference is Sandisk Edge, Swissbit SLC, Swissbit S55 followed by Micron.
Hopefully, will have more time to test a few more SLC that I brought.
I believe once we buy a "proper" SD card, it will be personal preference.

Apr 9, 2024 at 4:11 AM Post #15,335 of 15,604
Sorry, meant this for the Wm1z thread.

Looking for some help in doing the following with my Wm1z:

- Identifying which region stock mine is. There's Korean on the back of the box and also on the side engraving, so guessing KR?
- How to install stock Japan version (?) - I prefer the Japan tuning on the Wm1a, so wanted to try Japan. But I also like the bone stock OS.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 4:20 AM Post #15,336 of 15,604
Hi, I had an Ibasso dx260 that died on me. I've been looking at the Sony because of its build quality, superior battery life. I run some planars that need the balanced 4.4mm . However the sound profile might be a concern because I listen to classical music.

Is the 1am2 still a good value proposition at 1400 usd at this time? Or at the same price is there something better like from AK?
The Sony is perfect for Classical music.
Of course this is up to the user preference.
Want music as a synergy of all the different components, with a cohesive "music" being the end result, to enjoy without wanting or needing to analyze? The Sony excels.
Want to hear extreme delineation of each detail, the FR balance and weight in each area, etc., and these are the most important requirements? Broaden your search of DAPs beyond the Sony.

Everybody has different tastes/requirements, system, ears, so your question can only be answered from each person's subjective and personal preferences.
I can answer your question with a YES for Sony. Other people will have different opinions. Correct for each of us, but for you?

It depends......

Also, this is a Sony thread, so of course you can expect that the people on this thread have a favorable opinion of Sony. Ask the same question on the AK thread, and I expect you will hear a different preference. All perfectly normal.

i.e. If I ask about cigars on a cigar thread, there will be an abundance of information on what the best cigars are. But I personally never learned to appreciate cigars, so the information is meaningless to me. In fact, I would not be able to understand why I would want to smoke a cigar, let alone enjoy one. But I can understand that there are people who enjoy a cigar, even if I do not. There are many things in life that fall into this category.

The best way is to listen and decide for yourself, if you have the option of trying different DAPs.

Apr 9, 2024 at 4:25 AM Post #15,337 of 15,604
Sorry, meant this for the Wm1z thread.

Looking for some help in doing the following with my Wm1z:

- Identifying which region stock mine is. There's Korean on the back of the box and also on the side engraving, so guessing KR?
- How to install stock Japan version (?) - I prefer the Japan tuning on the Wm1a, so wanted to try Japan. But I also like the bone stock OS.
The KR is for Korea.
But the first generation non-android Walkmans can change the Region Code at will, using the Rockbox tool, and do not need to change the Firmware to change the Region Code to whatever they want. Do a search on the WM1A/Z thread and you will find the information to do this.

Apr 9, 2024 at 4:51 AM Post #15,338 of 15,604
Still no FATBEAR case for the NW-WM1AM2. I have one for the NW-A306 and I like it a lot. I'm currently using the Benks case but it's material is a little too slippery for me.
Yeah... I have a feeling that Fatbear isn't going to release a case for the M2. I'm using the Benks on myself and I'm quite enjoying it. I rather like the translucent back.

Apr 9, 2024 at 7:12 AM Post #15,339 of 15,604
Has anyone had any experience with the Sony WM1AM2 and Solitaire T from T+A?

Solitaire T have passive impedance = 64 Ohms and THD <0.05 % (1 kHz / 94 dB)

I would be interested in understanding if the aforementioned headphones can be used (decently) with this DAP.

Thanks

Apr 9, 2024 at 9:05 AM Post #15,341 of 15,604
Surprisingly and unfortunately, the 1ZM2 do not drive my IER-Z1R as well as the 320MaxTi. Hoping that my opinion will change down the road with brain/ear/IEM burn-in~

Apr 9, 2024 at 4:44 PM Post #15,342 of 15,604
Surprisingly and unfortunately, the 1ZM2 do not drive my IER-Z1R as well as the 320MaxTi. Hoping that my opinion will change down the road with brain/ear/IEM burn-in~
I would have to agreed with this statement. They can drive the IER Z1R just fine, but not as good as the more powerful players or devices should be, such as 320M or D16 from Ibasso

Apr 9, 2024 at 6:19 PM Post #15,343 of 15,604
I would have to agreed with this statement. They can drive the IER Z1R just fine, but not as good as the more powerful players or devices should be, such as 320M or D16 from Ibasso
Just how deaf do you want to be? 😉😄

Apr 9, 2024 at 8:06 PM Post #15,345 of 15,604
Just tried using the WM1AM2 Walkman as usb dac for iPad Air gen 5. You can control if the Walkman charges up the iPad(if no usb-pd hub was used) which I recommend that you do not allow the Walkman to charge the iPad as this will deteriorate the more precious battery of the Walkman.

As long as direct source mode is on, the output latency is low and good enough for delay free video playback. Using DSD Remastering mode or DSEE Ultimate would increase sound output delay by almost nearing a second or so which is unusable for video playback but would still work fine for music playback. The default output format shown on the Walkman is 32bit 44.1KHz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back