SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Apr 8, 2024 at 1:07 PM Post #15,316 of 15,612
If SD cards make a difference, the difference is certainly not limited to the Walkman WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2.

Still seems like the SD card discussion should be separate from this thread.
No need to yell at me in response to this post. :beerchug:

Apr 8, 2024 at 1:56 PM Post #15,318 of 15,612
If SD cards make a difference, the difference is certainly not limited to the Walkman WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2.

Agreed. But there would be too much argument if it was the main topic. It shouldn't work anywhere, but it works here, with some patience on both sides :)

Apr 8, 2024 at 2:08 PM Post #15,319 of 15,612
It's not even burnt in yet 😂
With so many doubters, it's really nice to hear another positive experience. So far there have been the same results from perfect strangers from all over the world. I still haven't heard a negative experience.

@Sonywalkmanuser how did you first come about this card? Just luck? Swissbit's extensive documentation (with nothing to do with sound)? Curious about different Industrial cards? Did someone recommend it to you?

Either way, thank you very much for contributing to more of us trying Swissbit ❤️
The choice of Swissbit was done after some of the members here like @Whitigir who recommended for the Micron I400 while others like @TonyStarks recommended SanDisk Edge. I was thinking that it might be a good idea to explore a 3rd option.

So there begins the research and hunt for another industrial microSD. Lots of Google kungfu and reading up was done. So my choice was narrowed down to a few vendors like ATP electronics or Swissbit more due to the fact that most Industrial manufacturers are only offering capacities equal to or under 64GB. After comparing the extensive technical documentation and descriptions of the website with regards to manufacturing processes, I decide to go for Swissbit since they are Made in Germany. I think German companies are also like Japanese companies, where (most of the time) high quality precision engineering trumps everything else, but of course there is premium to be paid for better quality. A lot of the medical equipment are also made in Germany. So that’s how I made my choice for selecting Swissbit. Nothing to do with sound but guess my gamble paid off.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2024 at 2:22 PM Post #15,321 of 15,612
@Sonywalkmanuser
Today I got really into the "Headphones" app and took a photo of my ear to upload. I hadn't used the app before because I only have a pair of Sony earbuds, everything else is from different brands. But after reading your posts, I decided to give it a try. I didn't compare it closely, but the sound is not bad after using this app, so I'll just keep using it from now on.
This added profile would have more spatial effect when used in conjunction with High res streaming mode On.

To me I think this high res streaming mode is not just a simple 32bit 192KHz upsampling mode for android apps, it sounds like it doing more, likely a stereo to multi-channel virtual surround expansion at work(even for Sony music app).

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2024 at 3:14 PM Post #15,322 of 15,612
Haha.. i think it's due to this Walkman being so well designed that we are enabled to tell differences between microSD cards. Other DAPs have to deal with other interferences, and minute differences in storage quality will not be as obvious.

I dont think this microSD sound quality factor is limited to just Sony Walkman only, many other DAP owners have also reported to have experienced better sound quality after switching to the Micron I400. Although it is true that Sony Walkman’s S-Master HX design is most straightforward, direct to wire design which makes for lesser sound interferences and lesser sound coloration that arises from the electronic signal paths. I would be in the opinion that the current limitations of high precision sound reproduction is in the minute details of soft fine sounds, which are being masked out/blurred out by noise interferences and timing errors during DAC conversion and Amplification and paying attention to powered electronic sources like microSD would help to improve this aspect.

First off, the sound quality of my Samsung card doesn't even come close to the internal storage – that's crystal clear. To do a fair comparison, I randomly picked some songs and made a playlist. One track played from the internal storage, the other from the Swissbit card, one after the other. Right from the get-go, I noticed that the Swissbit's sound quality is remarkably close to the internal storage, miles ahead of my old Samsung card.

After carefully going through each track, I can honestly say, based on my personal experience, Swissbit's sound is even better than the internal storage.
Take "Starboy" by The Weeknd, for instance – the overall dynamics just sound way better with Swissbit, especially the rhythmic punch of the drums.
Similarly, in Kacey Musgraves' cover of "Fix You" and a song by Hana Sekitori (sorry, I don't know the Japanese title, but you get the idea), as well as Lana Del Rey's songs, the instruments sound much clearer with Swissbit. The guitar strings and piano reverberations are more pronounced, and you can pick up on subtle nuances in the female vocals, like delicate breathiness and lip sounds.
Another example would be in two songs by Jacky Cheung(张学友), where his vibrato and vocal fluctuations stand out more with Swissbit, making it more engaging.

Of course, these observations are all from A/B comparisons, but personally, I find myself preferring the sound of Swissbit – it really helps me immerse myself in the music. After this comparison, I'll definitely be choosing to copy songs onto the Swissbit card for future listening.

I think if one never explored into comparing the sound differences between their current microSD card against the DAP’s internal storage, they won’t even find out that this is a factor that could affect sound quality if their setup is resolving enough. E.g. if one only stubbornly or blindly just drinks instant coffee, he/she will never find out how much better tasting ground coffee would actually be and probably thinks his/her instant coffee tastes absolutely fine.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2024 at 3:46 PM Post #15,325 of 15,612

Major respect to anybody brave enough to start an SD card thread! One requirement is that this person is a masochist, so they can take pleasure from all the abuse and vitriol that will come their way.
From observation, raising the subject would be like waving a red flag in front of a herd of bulls.

And yes, it would be impressive to see someone survive the abuse. But it is a thankless endeavor, which I am sure will wear down anybody, so it is better to avoid it.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2024 at 3:57 PM Post #15,328 of 15,612
@Sonywalkmanuser
I also want to thank you for your recommendation, really appreciate it. By the way, do you know if it's possible to change usernames on this forum?
I do not know if it is possible to change usernames on this forum, best to contact the admin to find out.

I think being able to experience Jacky Cheung’s vocal cords come alive with the Swissbit microSD is a priceless thing for me. Ability for the equipment to present such intricate nuances in vocal cord vibrations like this is what makes music feels so much more emotive to listen to.

This is why he is regarded as the Godly Legend in the Chinese world, check out his vocal range at 2min 52sec onwards

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2024 at 5:06 PM Post #15,329 of 15,612
Hi, I had an Ibasso dx260 that died on me. I've been looking at the Sony because of its build quality, superior battery life. I run some planars that need the balanced 4.4mm . However the sound profile might be a concern because I listen to classical music.

Is the 1am2 still a good value proposition at 1400 usd at this time? Or at the same price is there something better like from AK?

Apr 8, 2024 at 9:58 PM Post #15,330 of 15,612
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgI was really surprised by how impressive the Swissbit card turned out to be.

First off, the sound quality of my Samsung card doesn't even come close to the internal storage – that's crystal clear. To do a fair comparison, I randomly picked some songs and made a playlist. One track played from the internal storage, the other from the Swissbit card, one after the other. Right from the get-go, I noticed that the Swissbit's sound quality is remarkably close to the internal storage, miles ahead of my old Samsung card.

After carefully going through each track, I can honestly say, based on my personal experience, Swissbit's sound is even better than the internal storage.
Take "Starboy" by The Weeknd, for instance – the overall dynamics just sound way better with Swissbit, especially the rhythmic punch of the drums.
Similarly, in Kacey Musgraves' cover of "Fix You" and a song by Hana Sekitori (sorry, I don't know the Japanese title, but you get the idea), as well as Lana Del Rey's songs, the instruments sound much clearer with Swissbit. The guitar strings and piano reverberations are more pronounced, and you can pick up on subtle nuances in the female vocals, like delicate breathiness and lip sounds.
Another example would be in two songs by Jacky Cheung(张学友), where his vibrato and vocal fluctuations stand out more with Swissbit, making it more engaging.

Of course, these observations are all from A/B comparisons, but personally, I find myself preferring the sound of Swissbit – it really helps me immerse myself in the music. After this comparison, I'll definitely be choosing to copy songs onto the Swissbit card for future listening.

I also manage to try Swissbit late night.
My preference will be Swissbit SLC, Swissbit S55, followed by Micron.
Micron is too bright, Swissbit S55 is darker, Swissbit SLC give just enough spark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back