SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Apr 7, 2024 at 9:50 AM Post #15,271 of 15,605
Listening to Reverie and Windowpane ( Opeth ) for these 15m completely changed my brain , for the better ..not that mindset was that bad before ..not differently then a drug..not that I ever had any addiction ..

but I feel such a lucky guy and lucky found a very good chain, that does what's needed , for me , and virtually in any place I go and I need to switch for that time being..

Apr 7, 2024 at 10:08 AM Post #15,272 of 15,605
OT: I should buy her a ciem like mine in fact. Talk about budgets.
May be Fir E10 CIEM? Good price point for CIEM.

Apr 7, 2024 at 10:24 AM Post #15,273 of 15,605
I completely understand what you mean ( when 'immersion' is on , for that particular signature that clicks with your brain cells and parts , brain attention goes unsindacably 'first there' or music first, the rest might be lagging ..even severely: so that I had to learn to put alarms on my phone/watch at a point, when 10 minutes became 1 or even 1 and half an hour 😨, and I had tasks to complete..been there )
perfectly explained. Plus i would like to add: if i hear a very great album i enjoy, i read the background of the album, the intention of the artist, the lyrics and i am just aware and mindful when listening to it. It is my appreciation for the artist's perfection who gives me joy. But as you said, everything else is lagging when trying to do it simultaneously.

when 10 minutes became 1 or even 1 and half an hour...
or >5 hours and you find yourself at 4am in the morning listening for the 5th time Stille, Stille Kommer Vi from Hoff ensemble and feel the perfection.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2024 at 1:34 PM Post #15,274 of 15,605
Listening to Reverie and Windowpane ( Opeth ) for these 15m completely changed my brain , for the better ..not that mindset was that bad before ..not differently then a drug..not that I ever had any addiction ..

but I feel such a lucky guy and lucky found a very good chain, that does what's needed , for me , and virtually in any place I go and I need to switch for that time veing
perfectly explained. Plus i would like to add: if i hear a very great album i enjoy, i read the background of the album, the intention of the artist, the lyrics and i am just aware and mindful when listening to it. It is my appreciation for the artist's perfection who gives me joy. But as you said, everything else is lagging when trying to do it simultaneously.

Qobuz helped me in this too..
or >5 hours and you find yourself at 4am in the morning listening

happening i can relate of coursw 😅 and had to stop 😄for life/next day survival

Apr 7, 2024 at 1:38 PM Post #15,275 of 15,605
May be Fir E10 CIEM? Good price point for CIEM.
She needs wireless.

We tried Marshall , Sony and Technics wireless totl .
But she has quite the very good hearing I didn't expect
And wired sets are so much better in sound for fine ears.

And Noble Focus Prestige are too bulky for her.

She might try airpods too soon 😬🤐

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2024 at 5:42 PM Post #15,277 of 15,605
As much as I want to buy the Zm2, I can't bare to sell my 1ma2 and I really don't need a second dap.

I've been in iem hobby for now close to 20 years. There have been so many great daps, and if someone was to ask me before M2 family, who made the greatest dap, I wouldn't have picked Sony.
Only because my RS8 died I ended up spending some serious time with my 1AM2 and now I can say without a hint of a hesitation that for an iem user like me, Sony dap is more than enough.
It dsp offers me the ability to fine tune the dap according to the album production. It's tonality does not overdue anything, if is perfectly balanced.

I can't justify buying ZM2, but for my next round, I will buy the replacement of ZM2.

Apr 7, 2024 at 5:58 PM Post #15,278 of 15,605
Some wish which I doubt I'll see, I wish Sony let user select between 2xDSD and 4xDSD when using their dsd remastering.

I find quad dsd smoothness a little too much. In general I prefer double dsd as it avoid dsd noise artefact, but it isn't super smooth.

Only time I preferred quad dsd was on a high end floor speakers which was running playback design cd player.

Apr 7, 2024 at 8:23 PM Post #15,279 of 15,605
As much as I want to buy the Zm2, I can't bare to sell my 1ma2 and I really don't need a second dap.

I've been in iem hobby for now close to 20 years. There have been so many great daps, and if someone was to ask me before M2 family, who made the greatest dap, I wouldn't have picked Sony.
Only because my RS8 died I ended up spending some serious time with my 1AM2 and now I can say without a hint of a hesitation that for an iem user like me, Sony dap is more than enough.
It dsp offers me the ability to fine tune the dap according to the album production. It's tonality does not overdue anything, if is perfectly balanced.

I can't justify buying ZM2, but for my next round, I will buy the replacement of ZM2.
Isn’t the RS8 a rather new model? How did yours die? Just curious to know.

Apr 7, 2024 at 8:35 PM Post #15,280 of 15,605
Some wish which I doubt I'll see, I wish Sony let user select between 2xDSD and 4xDSD when using their dsd remastering.

I find quad dsd smoothness a little too much. In general I prefer double dsd as it avoid dsd noise artefact, but it isn't super smooth.

Only time I preferred quad dsd was on a high end floor speakers which was running playback design cd player.
I find that using sharp roll-off filtering would address some of the over-smoothness of DSD.

I have original DSD128(2xDSD) content that I found still benefited from using Sony’s DSD remastering to DSD256(4xDSD). It’s a struggle to hear the technical differences at this level but I do think that the transients on DSD256 upsampled version ramps up a little more faster, which makes it slightly more livelier.

Apr 7, 2024 at 8:42 PM Post #15,282 of 15,605
Faulty resistors overheated and damaged the motherboard.
Hopefully it is covered under warranty but I guess it still a hassle to be repairing your dap. I gave up on IBasso dap(dx100) due to the multiple repairs(overheating, faulty charging, faulty jack connector) that I have to deal with. Went for Sony ZX2 Walkman and never have to repair any of my Sony since.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2024 at 8:48 PM Post #15,283 of 15,605
Hopefully it is covered under warranty but I guess it still a hassle to be repairing your dap. I gave up on IBasso dap(dx100) due to the multiple repairs(overheating, faulty charging, faulty jack connector) that I have to deal with. Went for Sony ZX2 Walkman and never have to repair any of my Sony since.
Send it to repair, came back worst. Sent it back, they agreed it should be replaced. Took 3 months the entire process!

Apr 7, 2024 at 8:53 PM Post #15,284 of 15,605
Send it to repair, came back worst. Sent it back, they agreed it should be replaced. Took 3 months the entire process!
That’s a long process. Did they offer to extend the warranty for the 3months of loss time? Sony has done this warranty extension/reset previously for my friend faulty WM1AM2 which eventually got upgraded to a WM1ZM2 for just a token upgrade price.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2024 at 10:38 PM Post #15,285 of 15,605

Honestly, if you don't need the power to drive big headphones, then the 1AM2, 1ZM2 sounds the best to me. And if you got an AM2, I think there is minimal difference to ZM2.. like you need to A/B it just to hear the difference.. I would just keep enjoying 1AM2 and carry on :smile:

Side update, loving IER-Z1R+ZM2 (Blondie) combo.. bringing it everywhere for short 1hr road trips, at the malls, at work.. omg. the revelation keeps getting better! The biggest difference to DX320 is the layering and presentation.. There's just so much to unpack!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back