Mar 8, 2024 at 8:51 PM Post #14,688 of 15,986
Time to get my Swissbit on!

Attachments

• IMG_2848.jpeg
    IMG_2848.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Mar 8, 2024 at 10:36 PM Post #14,690 of 15,986
Time to get my Swissbit on!
Your iems are probably even more resolving than my IER-M9. Would be interesting to hear your opinions on the Swissbit with these higher tier gears.

Mar 8, 2024 at 11:07 PM Post #14,692 of 15,986
Getting up bright and early to see so many people experiencing the differences in languages is just fantastic! Let's keep enjoying exploring and experimenting.👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
I think the sound tuning on the simplified chinese language is very good too. While it is not as resolving as Japanese, it gives a more gentler rendition of the upper frequencies. Bass enhancement seems to be more on the gentler/more controlled side in relation to other languages like English. Good for relaxed listening.

Mar 8, 2024 at 11:28 PM Post #14,693 of 15,986
In the process of getting some songs together and do some weekend listening between the Swissbit and a Sandisk. Quite curious myself. Appreciate all the Swissbit info.
Also here’s some more info on technical differences between commercial grade cards and industrial grade cards:

Read Disturb

A common thing we hear is that we are only reading data and not writing to the card, but this poses another problem known as Read Disturb (sometimes called Bit flipping), where the charge leaks away from one cell when constantly reading an adjacent one even though you’re not writing to the card, this causes cards to corrupt which then need to be replaced. Using industrial-grade storage minimises this risk drastically compared to consumer-grade cards.

Dynamic Data Refresh

Dynamic Data Refresh runs automatically in the background of the storage device to reduce the risk of read disturbance and sustain data integrity in seldom-accessed areas by sequentially scanning the user area flag record without affecting the read/write operation. The data that has been completely moved to another block will be read and compared with the source data to ensure data integrity. Lower-grade consumer devices tend not to have this functionality, but for industrial-grade devices, it’s a standard feature. Having Dynamic Data Refresh will ensure data at rest remains.

https://www.simms.co.uk/tech-talk/nand-flash-leakage-why-you-could-lose-data/

I recommend checking out this site for more insights, has very easy to understand articles(don’t require PHD level reading);
https://www.simms.co.uk/insights/tech-talk/

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2024 at 12:01 AM Post #14,694 of 15,986
Mar 9, 2024 at 12:18 AM Post #14,696 of 15,986
By the way, people noticing different sounds on different region settings with Sony walkman isn't a new phenomena. Back in the Mark 1 Walkman, there were already people noticing it, so much so that they created a chart to consolidate the findings:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-walkman-custom-firmware-non-android.943661/post-15985217
11362774.jpg
I didn't know at all

There is loads of comments already posted 4 years ago on the region-change-sound matter for the WM1A

Listening to mostly EDM and techno, I found E to be my favourite with U coming in second. The bass is really good on U but it was a bit too much and consequently the clarity/resolution seems to suffer a bit. MX3 is interesting, the highs/lows are actually a bit nicer than E but the vocals completely ruined it for me, something just sounded off about it and not natural at all. My ideal region would be the MX3's trebles and bass with E's midrange.

J is definitely the most neutral but to my ears it sounded boring. I like a bit of colouring in my sound :)

For me also the A40 bass is less controlled where as the A50 has a real nice bass attack that stays in its lane and doesn’t bleed. I do like the A40 dark timbre better though.

DMP-A40 + Region CN
072DE07C-4B54-486B-A8CC-ABC70A8B1602.jpeg
Region CN solves the Bass bleed with DC Phase Linearizer “On” its punchy and controlled. CN also has lots of detailed dark timbre depth (Holy Smokes! :) ) on the A40 with DMP-A40!

ok I only had trouble once during very heavy region changing and it fixed but yes once presented an issue by doing that.. (1/100 times) i can confirm

J its more spacious but its recesed may pair well with expensive iems however MX3 its more resolving and on my setup sounds way more engaging... and realistic but certanly J its refined but veiled... depending iem maybe less piercing...

Mar 9, 2024 at 1:17 AM Post #14,700 of 15,986
I just had a 3 hour session with my Rhapsodio Supreme V3 and WM1AM2. I can't remember the last time I had such a long session. Changing the DSEE, Vinyl, DSD remastering in the entire 3 hour, they all changed the sound, and depending on what I was listening, made me keep the listening session going.

There is no other DAP in the market which can match technicality of the Sony Walkmans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back