SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Mar 8, 2024 at 2:05 AM Post #14,626 of 15,606
The Japanese region should likely be the initial sound tuning of the Walkman done by the team of Japanese engineers over at Sony, then they pass them on to the domestic Japanese audiophiles for demoing and it is likely these audiophiles really liked the sound.

However when Sony sends these walkman to these overseas chinese audiophiles for demo, they probably find the sound not to their liking, thus Sony has to tweak the sound to suit these chinese audiophiles, but at the same time, if they just tweak the sound to suit the Chinese Audiophiles without any kind of selection, then what about initial preferences of the Japanese Audiophiles?
I can confidently say that, on Chinese music enthusiast forums, most people prefer the sound of these 3 languages system: Japanese, German and traditional Chinese.

Also, our forums have Chinese Sony employees, some professional music equipment agents, and even some advanced audiophile users. I've never seen anyone say they received demo firmware from Sony Japan and collected reports, or did surveys or anything like that.

So, I think it's really mysterious, but I think it's an issue with the Android system. Maybe the CPU or memory performs differently under different system languages, causing very subtle differences in power supply. Sound is a mysterious thing – any tiny change, and the DAP sounds different when amplified. Sony probably just tunes their devices for their native Japanese system. When tuning, you always have your own standards, so they wouldn't create so many standards based on different languages. I don't think they have time for that. They probably don't even know there's a difference in sound between different system languages, let alone a huge one. It's really quite interesting.

Mar 8, 2024 at 2:11 AM Post #14,627 of 15,606
I don't hear hear the difference between languages yet... :beyersmile: Do I need to reboot or something? or just move the languages up and down the order?

BTW, is there an option to permanently show the current volume on the top-bar (like battery %)? It's by default on DX320 - It's quite annoying to forget what the current volume level and need to +/- the volume to show the current level.

Mar 8, 2024 at 2:17 AM Post #14,628 of 15,606
You don’t need to restart, just drag and drop the language you want to set to the top. Then go back to the Sony Music Player app, and you’ll notice the screen ‘flashes’ for a moment. Pay close attention, and you’ll hear that the sound is different in different language environments. U can do the A/B test. It might feel different depending on the headphones you’re using. Of course, I’ve only tried 5 language environments: Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Japanese, English, and German. The sound is different in each language, some might sound similar, but the Japanese system is completely unique, very different. I particularly like the sound quality in the Japanese system.
I don't hear hear the difference between languages yet... :beyersmile: Do I need to reboot or something? or just move the languages up and down the order?

BTW, is there an option to permanently show the current volume on the top-bar (like battery %)? It's by default on DX320 - It's quite annoying to forget what the current volume level and need to +/- the volume to show the current level.

Mar 8, 2024 at 2:34 AM Post #14,629 of 15,606
You don’t need to restart, just drag and drop the language you want to set to the top. Then go back to the Sony Music Player app, and you’ll notice the screen ‘flashes’ for a moment. Pay close attention, and you’ll hear that the sound is different in different language environments. U can do the A/B test. It might feel different depending on the headphones you’re using. Of course, I’ve only tried 5 language environments: Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Japanese, English, and German. The sound is different in each language, some might sound similar, but the Japanese system is completely unique, very different. I particularly like the sound quality in the Japanese system.
If I have selected the new language while playing music, I have to pause and unpause for the new language sound to take effect.

Mar 8, 2024 at 2:38 AM Post #14,630 of 15,606
I can confidently say that, on Chinese music enthusiast forums, most people prefer the sound of these 3 languages system: Japanese, German and traditional Chinese.

Also, our forums have Chinese Sony employees, some professional music equipment agents, and even some advanced audiophile users. I've never seen anyone say they received demo firmware from Sony Japan and collected reports, or did surveys or anything like that.

So, I think it's really mysterious, but I think it's an issue with the Android system. Maybe the CPU or memory performs differently under different system languages, causing very subtle differences in power supply. Sound is a mysterious thing – any tiny change, and the DAP sounds different when amplified. Sony probably just tunes their devices for their native Japanese system. When tuning, you always have your own standards, so they wouldn't create so many standards based on different languages. I don't think they have time for that. They probably don't even know there's a difference in sound between different system languages, let alone a huge one. It's really quite interesting.

Sony does in fact gather feedback from audiophiles:
https://www.sony.jp/feature/owner/sound/wfm1910_lp/index2.html
img2-02.jpg

The following is a summary of the results of the questionnaire that were filled out after the preview. See how the Walkman fans who participated in the special workshop evaluated the NW-ZX500.
img_graph.png

Mar 8, 2024 at 2:40 AM Post #14,631 of 15,606
You need golden ears...and a lot of help.

Mar 8, 2024 at 2:50 AM Post #14,632 of 15,606
Sony does in fact gather feedback from audiophiles:
https://www.sony.jp/feature/owner/sound/wfm1910_lp/index2.html
img2-02.jpg

The following is a summary of the results of the questionnaire that were filled out after the preview. See how the Walkman fans who participated in the special workshop evaluated the NW-ZX500.
img_graph.png
surely, Sony do gather feedbacks from audiophiles from different regions. If not, why they (Sony Justears) made a iem specially for the Hong Kong market?

Mar 8, 2024 at 3:07 AM Post #14,633 of 15,606
I really like how DSD Remastering is sounding in conjunction with Japanese Language setting. DSD Remastering + Sharp Roll Off seem to work well.
There's a lot of harmony in the sound, all the fade in and fade outs of sound feels so natural and relaxed.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2024 at 4:56 AM Post #14,638 of 15,606
Really crazy and interesting with different language 😂
And we thought that talking about microSD cards have its own sound signatures isn’t crazy enough?

What kind of pandora box is this?

Mar 8, 2024 at 7:14 AM Post #14,639 of 15,606
Mar 8, 2024 at 7:59 AM Post #14,640 of 15,606
@Sonywalkmanuser
I’ve given your recommended combos, sharp + DSEE and sharp+DSD remastering + DSEE, a serious try with the ier-z1r on Japanese language system environment(fw 1. 08), and I must say, they’re pretty good. Here’s my breakdown:

1. Slow + direct: Great for quiet vocals, like just piano or guitar with vocals.
2. Sharp+DSD + DSEE: More delicate, better resolution, but the music’s impact is somewhat diminished.
3. Sharp + DSEE: Overall, this is now my go-to combo. The dynamics are well-balanced, the soundstage is the most expansive, vocals are surrounded by the music, creating a full atmosphere.

Thanks for the recommendations!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back