SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Mar 5, 2024 at 11:43 AM Post #14,491 of 15,604
Listened a bit more to some orchestral tracks and piano instrumentals.. Still in the honeymoon period but Geez the string timbre and decay is on a whole different level! Even the double bass sounds "different" with more body to it. I'm literally hearing new layers from old song libraries.. with the same Z1R.. how to explain that?! And this is with Direct Source on, no sound mods yet..

On the other hand, walked to work with Goldie in my pocket with the leather case.. wow, no picnic huh? Not too heavy but it's quite noticeable.

BTW, what is the best FW version for SQ (V-shaped, layering, soundstaging)? Mine came in with 1.03 installed and pondering whether to update directly to 1.08 or is there option to update to intermediate FW version e.g. 1.07 instead of latest?
I believe you can update to a specific FW if you can get a copy, and put it on the SD card. But only to a later(not earlier) version, and leaving the WIFI off.
I'm not aware of where to download the FW. On previous models, people had identified where the various FW for a particular model were stored.

Mar 5, 2024 at 11:45 AM Post #14,492 of 15,604
😂 I don't think I have golden ears. But I am lower on the autistic spectrum (like so many, undiagnosed with Asperger's), and audio is my vice.

That lower noise floor is what I LOVE about the Swissbit. Preferring it over the internal storage is counterintuitive to me. But I absolutely do.

This morning I tried a few minutes of slow roll-off, adding to my frustration. Using sharp roll-off is counterintuitive to me, as I have always preferred slow in all my past devices (LG phones, prefer Dragonfly Cobalt (slow) to Red (sharp)). But, since fw1.08 I strongly prefer sharp. Switching back to slow, the words 'fuzz' and 'muddy' come to mind. Also 'congested'. Bass resonates better on sharp to me. Also the decay on snares sounds wrong on slow (to me). I may attempting some EQ in the near future (I find that counterintuitive).

My reference track this morning

My Qobuz new playlist '
'andrewsky' growing.
Now don't ask me why I used an Y in the end

Mar 5, 2024 at 11:46 AM Post #14,493 of 15,604
Listened a bit more to some orchestral tracks and piano instrumentals.. Still in the honeymoon period but Geez the string timbre and decay is on a whole different level! Even the double bass sounds "different" with more body to it. I'm literally hearing new layers from old song libraries.. with the same Z1R.. how to explain that?! And this is with Direct Source on, no sound mods yet..

On the other hand, walked to work with Goldie in my pocket with the leather case.. wow, no picnic huh? Not too heavy but it's quite noticeable.

BTW, what is the best FW version for SQ (V-shaped, layering, soundstaging)? Mine came in with 1.03 installed and pondering whether to update directly to 1.08 or is there option to update to intermediate FW version e.g. 1.07 instead of latest?
So coming from your DX320's ROHM R2R sound signature, would you agree that the Sony sound signature is radically different? The way which dynamics is presented and the amount of sharpness in sibilant sounds.

Mar 5, 2024 at 11:47 AM Post #14,494 of 15,604

Would be wise to update and try 1.07, before 1.08 >and use it as an option eventually later

Mar 5, 2024 at 11:50 AM Post #14,495 of 15,604
Last edited:
Mar 5, 2024 at 11:50 AM Post #14,496 of 15,604
Hello M2 friends, I have a question for you. I'm coming from the WM1Z and I really like the digital volume bar that's always visible on the top of the screen. If you want to change the volume, you can use the side buttons or tap the volume bar to get to the digital wheel.

Of course, you can also use the side buttons on the M2, but it does not have a volume indicator that is always visible, like the bar on the M1 or, in the case of other DAPs, a number in the status bar. I did not think about this before I started using it. On the M2, you have to swipe down to access the quick settings, select the volume shortcut and then adjust it.

Basically, it takes one more swipe to change the volume on the M2 than on the M1. As I said, this may not matter to most people and may be super picky, but I found it less than ideal. Otherwise, I love the DAP.

Is there an option that I have missed or a good recommendation for a third party app that would allow such a feature?

Mar 5, 2024 at 11:54 AM Post #14,497 of 15,604
Hey leylandi, do you mean for ZM2? My Z1R is ~1.5yrs old now.

BTW, what is the current ZM2 serial number? Mine is 10012xx.. seems weird to me if Sony only sold 1200+ of these.. or mine is an older production date?
It’s a 2 year old product so going by your serial number, I don’t think it’s any older than 5-6 months at max.

Mar 5, 2024 at 12:04 PM Post #14,500 of 15,604
I bought my AM2 in Malaysia on February 8th, 2024 and the serial number is just under 1300. It somehow looks like Sony didn't sell that many
That's really weird to me. I would have guessed that number in early 2022. I pre-order mine in June, and got it July 2022. <10.
I don't want to be a freak.

Mar 5, 2024 at 12:14 PM Post #14,502 of 15,604
Version 1.08 works very well for IE 600. The highs are tamed and the bass is powerful
That makes me happy to hear :)

I do like a lot of what 1.08 brings. Perhaps it's just, I don't like change, and I'm in the process of adapting. If it makes me happy (and it does) I'll just keep focusing on that.

But seriously, why aren't more people buying these? Like I said, I don't want be a freak 😂

Mar 5, 2024 at 12:15 PM Post #14,503 of 15,604
So coming from your DX320's ROHM R2R sound signature, would you agree that the Sony sound signature is radically different? The way which dynamics is presented and the amount of sharpness in sibilant sounds.
Still early to say.. have not A/B properly but I can say I like the Sony sound sig on the IER! For lack of better words, listening to Goldie on my bed now, it sounds grander overall, sound stage seems to be deeper and due to lower noise floor, soft sounds can be heard on a very black background. I'm literally hearing new layers from songs I've known for a decade using the same IEM... 😍

For DX320, I think the ROHM BD34301EKV DAC is using Sigma-Delta (page 5 of whitepaper), not R2R. For me, I mainly use Amp 14 then Amp 13 (11mk2 rarely used)... For Amp 14, the sound is *slightly* faster, decays are *slightly* shorter, bass rumble is a *smidge* less physical. For Amp 13, the female vocals stand out as being sweeter but overall I prefer Amp 14 as I don't like dealing with tube amp quirks (e.g. WiFi intereference, "pinging" on every button press, ugh...) To be honest, the tube amp quirks are one of the reasons which drove me to find another DAP...

However, as a whole device package (ex sound), DX320 is much better than Goldie - bigger, better, high res screen, 2x faster loading speeds (subjectively), about half as heavy, swappable cards for headphone out issues; true line out on Amp 14. Goldie comes ahead in 3 areas: 1) much much longer battery life, 2) more DSP options (DSEE, vinyl DSP etc) if you're into that, 3) aesthetically beautiful chassis

To be honest, for me it's not night and day and you really have to listen to spot the sound sig difference. That's probably it took me so long to pull the trigger.. Don't get me wrong... I can still live with DX320+Amp 14, but once I heard the ZM2 at home with a quiet background (vs the Sony Store where there was a lot of background noise going on), I have no regrets getting the Goldie! There are just these little moments where I go "Holy crap, what was that bass?!" :beyersmile:

Mar 5, 2024 at 12:24 PM Post #14,504 of 15,604
Still early to say.. have not A/B properly but I can say I like the Sony sound sig on the IER! For lack of better words, listening to Goldie on my bed now, it sounds grander overall, sound stage seems to be deeper and due to lower noise floor, soft sounds can be heard on a very black background. I'm literally hearing new layers from songs I've known for a decade using the same IEM... 😍

For DX320, I think the ROHM BD34301EKV DAC is using Sigma-Delta (page 5 of whitepaper), not R2R. For me, I mainly use Amp 14 then Amp 13 (11mk2 rarely used)... For Amp 14, the sound is *slightly* faster, decays are *slightly* shorter, bass rumble is a *smidge* less physical. For Amp 13, the female vocals stand out as being sweeter but overall I prefer Amp 14 as I don't like dealing with tube amp quirks (e.g. WiFi intereference, "pinging" on every button press, ugh...) To be honest, the tube amp quirks are one of the reasons which drove me to find another DAP...

However, as a whole device package (ex sound), DX320 is much better than Goldie - bigger, better, high res screen, 2x faster loading speeds (subjectively), about half as heavy, swappable cards for headphone out issues; true line out on Amp 14. Goldie comes ahead in 3 areas: 1) much much longer battery life, 2) more DSP options (DSEE, vinyl DSP etc) if you're into that, 3) aesthetically beautiful chassis

To be honest, for me it's not night and day and you really have to listen to spot the sound sig difference. That's probably it took me so long to pull the trigger.. Don't get me wrong... I can still live with DX320+Amp 14, but once I heard the ZM2 at home with a quiet background (vs the Sony Store where there was a lot of background noise going on), I have no regrets getting the Goldie! There are just these little moments where I go "Holy crap, what was that bass?!" :beyersmile:
Sorry I always thought the Rohm dacs were R2R based(because they certainly sound like one), maybe it's the current based design is making these ROHM dacs sound really analogue like. Thanks for the white paper, very interesting find, I will spend time reading upon it. I feel that Rohm based dac seems to be sacrificing some of the dynamics in order to sound as smooth as possible(somewhat like what DSD Remastering is doing). For myself, I am so used to the fast dynamics of the WM1AM2, when I first listen to the DX320, I didn't really find the sound to be fun and engaging to listen, especially for jpop genre, although for classical genre, the DX320 is really very nice sounding.

Also I think there's still alot more to explore with your new WM1ZM2 before you can give a firm impression on it's true sound performance:

200hours Burn in
Updating to new firmware
Debloating

Also one last recommendation:
Do format your microsd card via the walkman android OS. This will optimize the microsd internal file systems(yes, there are many internal layers) to work best with the walkman. Sorry if you already have music file on your current microsd card, as you have to re-transfer them.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2024 at 12:28 PM Post #14,505 of 15,604
Hey leylandi, do you mean for ZM2? My Z1R is ~1.5yrs old now.

BTW, what is the current ZM2 serial number? Mine is 10012xx.. seems weird to me if Sony only sold 1200+ of these.. or mine is an older production date?
My ZM2 serial number, bought new last December, is ending at a figure very close to 3000.

Went all out on a shopping spree at E earphone, Akiba:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back