SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Mar 5, 2024 at 6:42 AM Post #14,476 of 15,604
Sorry if this is already covered somewhere. But if I setup the headphone app (on 1AM2) and add my Sony-IER M9, what should I do when I plug in a non-earphone into the player later on. Can I tell the app that I’m not currently using the M9; or would it not matter (presumably it’s still going to try and effect the sound of the non-Sony earphone if I leave it as it is?)
You have two choice:

Remove IER-M9 profile when you use the non-Sony and then re-add when needed. This step still allows for the hidden sound processing of the headphone app to work, I am speculating that Sony is still employing a generic human hrtf profile instead of the customised one when the headphone app is running without a profile added. This step has additional hassle because you must be connected to wifi to readd the profile(not sure why Sony won’t cache the profiles offline, like they do with Bluetooth devices).

Disable the headphone app temporarily via android settings. Re-enable when using the Sony iem. Do note that this likely removes the hidden sound processing(generic hrtf) that headphone app does.

I won’t recommend to use the ier-m9 profile for your non-Sony iem, as the frequency response is altered when profile is applied and your non-sony iem likely do not benefit from the alterations.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2024 at 8:33 AM Post #14,478 of 15,604
@boodi @andrewski @ttt123 @Whitigir
I think this person explains really well the kind of mental calming effect I am experiencing from using the swissbit industrial microSD with the wm1am2. A better noise floor which translates into a reduction in the obstruction/smearing of low level details:

Great insights here too:

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2024 at 8:51 AM Post #14,479 of 15,604
I think this person explains really well the kind of mental calming effect I am experiencing from using the swissbit industrial microSD with the wm1am2. A better noise floor which translates into a reduction in the obstruction/smearing of low level details:

Great insights here too:

It is true for both noisefloor and aliasing noises

Mar 5, 2024 at 9:21 AM Post #14,481 of 15,604
@andrewski

Maybe the lower noise floor from the swissbit card could be a major contributing cause on why you are able to get away with listening at such low volume levels on your wm1zm2? You don’t necessarily have to turn up the volume on the Walkman as there is already better clarity of soft sound details right from the lowest of volume levels. This is not considering maybe you are also born with super human ears.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2024 at 10:18 AM Post #14,482 of 15,604
@andrewski

Maybe the lower noise floor from the swissbit card could be a major contributing cause on why you are able to get away with listening at such low volume levels on your wm1zm2? You don’t necessarily have to turn up the volume on the Walkman as there is already better clarity of soft sound details right from the lowest of volume levels. This is not considering maybe you are also born with super human ears.
😂 I don't think I have golden ears. But I am lower on the autistic spectrum (like so many, undiagnosed with Asperger's), and audio is my vice.

That lower noise floor is what I LOVE about the Swissbit. Preferring it over the internal storage is counterintuitive to me. But I absolutely do.

This morning I tried a few minutes of slow roll-off, adding to my frustration. Using sharp roll-off is counterintuitive to me, as I have always preferred slow in all my past devices (LG phones, prefer Dragonfly Cobalt (slow) to Red (sharp)). But, since fw1.08 I strongly prefer sharp. Switching back to slow, the words 'fuzz' and 'muddy' come to mind. Also 'congested'. Bass resonates better on sharp to me. Also the decay on snares sounds wrong on slow (to me). I may attempting some EQ in the near future (I find that counterintuitive).

My reference track this morning

Mar 5, 2024 at 11:10 AM Post #14,484 of 15,604

Great insights here too:

Nice brief articles on noise, stage, dynamics. The topics are not new, and they have been around forever. They don't give a lot of detail, but they do state in simple terms. Maybe they will start people thinking about the topics, and pay more attention to these areas, and do more research on them.

Noise floor:
Lowering noise in a system is a fundamental, a day 1 goal that SHOULD be a continuous, and common goal for all systems, and the importance bears repeating.
- A simplistic analogy, imagine you are talking to somebody in a room, and there is an audible hum (composed of low and high frequencies). You have trouble hearing each other, and low level sounds are masked by the hum. Certainly there can be no argument that this situation is not ideal, and you cannot hear each other properly?
And it is irritating as H&ll ! The same situation if the hum is just below audibility. Not quite as bad, but you know something is wrong. This is a high noise floor situation.

Benefits of low noise:
- Sound Stage: A theoretical conclusion: The better the stage, the lower the noise floor, as low level reverb/echo signals hold the information that the brain translates as stage. Noise will mask, or attenuate these low level signals.
- Dynamics and Bass - both improve/easier to perceive. Lowering power supply or System noise (AC, Cable, Power Supply, System) reduces Amplifier parasitic power drains , and lowers the amount of error generating signals/reduces error correction. Anybody who has experienced the results of a better power supply/cable, will know the initial puzzlement about why that should improve the bass in a system. There is no obvious linkage. But look deeper, and there is a linkage. This is one of those things we are not aware of, as it is not something we would think of.

This is why lowering the noise in a system is of paramount importance. And the effect is cumulative. i.e. lower the noise from multiple sources, and the cumulative effect on a system can shock you.
So anywhere where you can lower the noise floor, that should be pursued. It is one of the most worthwhile actions in any audio system.
- Get a better power supply and cable if using the DAP mostly while plugged into power
- Remove RF sources. At lease separate them.
- MicroSD card - get a better low noise card - There, I've stated the forbidden topic. Why it should be that divisive a topic, and like a red flag to a bull for some people, I do not understand, as noise is present everywhere, in all parts of the system. Even in the brain (tinnitus is one example). That a complex storage device should have noise, and some models will have less, and some will have more, is irrefutable. To deny this is beyond logic, or science. (at least to me)

Mar 5, 2024 at 11:11 AM Post #14,485 of 15,604
Congratulations! Can you share the serial number of Z1R?
Hey leylandi, do you mean for ZM2? My Z1R is ~1.5yrs old now.

BTW, what is the current ZM2 serial number? Mine is 10012xx.. seems weird to me if Sony only sold 1200+ of these.. or mine is an older production date?

Mar 5, 2024 at 11:14 AM Post #14,486 of 15,604
Welcome!!!!!!

screen protector is rarely offered with phones and daps to my knowledge 🤷maybe the 320x and something else.. but rarities

And yes be prepared..: yes it sounds great out of the box...; yes 200hrs will sound monstrous..level of refinement will scale and you will amaze
Ahh really? I mean, it's a $10 item for a $3K dap.. anyway I bought one immediately already!

Huhu.. will try to hit 200hrs by end of the month.. But I'm not the type to burn-in overnight, just gonna enjoy the ride...

I think the performance will be more acceptable once you have done the necessary debloating and developer tweaks. Just be prudent and don’t install too many apps as it can adversely affect performance and even degrade sound quality.

I would say in my burn in experience with various Walkmans, there will be some noticeable sound changes for each of the 50hour increments until you reach 200hours with the peak of changes happening between 100hour to 150hour mark. Once it pass the 150hour mark then it starts to diminish interms of the rate of changes.

The Walkman does support USB-PD fast charging. If you wish to baby the battery, you can use the Sony suppliedf USB-A to C cable which charges the battery at a slower rate, which reduces the heat generated.

Do note that the power quality of the usb charger you use does influence the heat generated during charging. Try to find a charger with low power ripple. Authentic Apple chargers tend to be better designed and often have lower levels of power ripple. The other charger that is also good choice is the Sony Xperia chargers. All these are kind of pricier. Although there are also people who swear by their Anker chargers too. I personally will avoid Samsung chargers.
Thanks Sonywalkmanuser.. I haven't started debloating yet and I'm sure it makes a difference.

Re. charging, yeah I got Battery Care on and noted on slower-charging adapters. TBH I'm used to it coming from DX320 which also gets quite toasty.. even my iPhone 12 Pro Max gets that hot during fast charging. I will try to baby the battery a bit but honestly don't mind swapping for a new one when the time comes..

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2024 at 11:18 AM Post #14,487 of 15,604
Listened a bit more to some orchestral tracks and piano instrumentals.. Still in the honeymoon period but Geez the string timbre and decay is on a whole different level! Even the double bass sounds "different" with more body to it. I'm literally hearing new layers from old song libraries.. with the same Z1R.. how to explain that?! And this is with Direct Source on, no sound mods yet..

On the other hand, walked to work with Goldie in my pocket with the leather case.. wow, no picnic huh? Not too heavy but it's quite noticeable.

BTW, what is the best FW version for SQ (V-shaped, layering, soundstaging)? Mine came in with 1.03 installed and pondering whether to update directly to 1.08 or is there option to update to intermediate FW version e.g. 1.07 instead of latest?

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2024 at 11:31 AM Post #14,488 of 15,604
Hey leylandi, do you mean for ZM2? My Z1R is ~1.5yrs old now.

BTW, what is the current ZM2 serial number? Mine is 10012xx.. seems weird to me if Sony only sold 1200+ of these.. or mine is an older production date?
Bought mine new 11 months ago (after a year on the market). My number is below 250. Added to my fear my unit was used and returned. Sure didn't look used. And the firmware hadn't been updated. Perhaps just it just sat on a shelf? The first 300 hours (takes me longer, they say I'm too quiet) told me I got an unused unit. But that may have been an extreme case of my psychosomatics :)

Got ier-z1r 16 months ago. I think they're in the 16,000's. I forget.

Mar 5, 2024 at 11:35 AM Post #14,489 of 15,604
Bought mine new 11 months ago (after a year on the market). My number is below 250. Added to my fear my unit was used and returned. Sure didn't look used. And the firmware hadn't been updated. Perhaps just it just sat on a shelf? The first 300 hours (takes me longer, they say I'm too quiet) told me I got an unused unit. But that may have been an extreme case of my psychosomatics :)

Got ier-z1r 16 months ago. I think they're in the 16,000's. I forget.
@leylandi Just checked.. my Z1R is 14xxx (bought 20 months back) and ZM2 is 10012xx (bought yesterday LOL).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back