SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Feb 22, 2024 at 9:36 AM Post #14,251 of 15,991
I checked all ..update finally started randomly at one of my attempt on home Wifi ..not sure what it was
Just one of those things....makes no sense, try a whole bunch of things, and it finally works, though you don't know why. I like to think that all the work trying different things is the reason for it working. I've run across it so many times in my work that I believe that this is a valid solution, trying many things that, while there is no immediate cause and effect, or simple explanation, are in a class of solutions where there is no direct link, except for the fact that it is always after trying many things.

If nothing is done, then it is unlikely it will fix itself, so trying everything you can think of must be the reason the problem is fixed. This is the solution of throwing everything at it, including the kitchen sink, which is, in the end, a proper solution arrived at due to all the hard work. So every bit of work/everything you tried, is necessary.

Feb 22, 2024 at 11:08 AM Post #14,252 of 15,991
Hola amigo ¿y yo también? jeje, me perdí en el hilo de comentarios, tengo mucha música física, puro metal y rock, también consumo streaming, tengo servicios contratados, Tidal, Qobuz y Spotify, pero estoy más en el dap en formato local, y cuando viajo en el coche uso de transmisión.
Pardon I confused you with someone else who asked me about swissbit/to buy it
But cant remember the user..

Feb 22, 2024 at 11:11 AM Post #14,253 of 15,991
I consider Swissbit the most important part of my chain. It even affects Bluetooth and I benefit from one in my phone.

Performance/ price ratio is so good that price shouldn't be an issue. What can be a deal breaker is max 256G. If there's a remote possibility that 256G can be enough for you, then I highly, highly recommend a Swissbit.

No one who's tried it has knocked it. 100% customer satisfaction :)
11744942.jpeg

Industrial microSD card designed for mission critical usage like medical and military usage but we are using it to playback music files, kinda overkill but who is to say that music playback is not mission critical? Bit perfect data delivery to the dac is absolutely required!

Not to mention, Swissbit provides the most details for its datasheet, most manufacturers are rather very secretive about the power consumption and other technical specs:
https://www.farnell.com/datasheets/3714376.pdf

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2024 at 11:32 AM Post #14,254 of 15,991
Wish they had a bigger storage. 256Gb is pretty small. However with DSEE Ultimate, I wonder if AAC or CD quality is good enough to keep in Walkman instead of Hi-res files.

Feb 22, 2024 at 11:47 AM Post #14,255 of 15,991
Wish they had a bigger storage. 256Gb is pretty small. However with DSEE Ultimate, I wonder if AAC or CD quality is good enough to keep in Walkman instead of Hi-res files.
They do offer a 512GB variant(S50U) now:
https://www.mouser.sg/ProductDetail/Swissbit/SFSD512GN1AM1TB-I-XG-211-STD?qs=1Kr7Jg1SGW%2B/2QLrdECc8w==

I would think that AAC upscaled by DSEE Ultimate is very close. If using the Walkman in outdoor environments, probably not going to notice the difference but if listening in quiet room then yes there’s some loss of atmosphere feel with AAC upscaled by DSEE Ultimate vs lossless red book upscaled by DSEE Ultimate.

Personally I find lossless upscaled by DSEE Ulitmate to be super close to High res original. Can’t really tell them apart, just very slight differences in how the dynamics feels.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2024 at 12:08 PM Post #14,257 of 15,991
They do offer a 512GB variant(S50U) now:
https://www.mouser.sg/ProductDetail/Swissbit/SFSD512GN1AM1TB-I-XG-211-STD?qs=1Kr7Jg1SGW%2B/2QLrdECc8w==

I would think that AAC upscaled by DSEE Ultimate is very close. If using the Walkman in outdoor environments, probably not going to notice the difference but if listening in quiet room then yes there’s some loss of atmosphere feel with AAC upscaled by DSEE Ultimate vs lossless red book upscaled by DSEE Ultimate.

Personally I find lossless upscaled by DSEE Ulitmate to be super close to High res original. Can’t really tell them apart, just very slight differences in how the dynamics feels.
I had to beat up the Gimme-Monster just now. Plus I genuinely don't need the space and don't have $300. I'll be more tempted if the s-55u (I) comes in 512G :)

Feb 22, 2024 at 12:14 PM Post #14,258 of 15,991
Feb 22, 2024 at 12:23 PM Post #14,259 of 15,991
Is this the right one Swissbit S-55u for 256gb?
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Swissbit/SFSD256GN1AM1MT-E-7G-211-STD?qs=MyNHzdoqoQKEGKXiLqtX1g==

Wow that’s hefty price but I understand since it is for industrial use and hence data reliability is big part of it but just the other day I got 1.5Tb card for $120, lol
Close, the one we have has an "I" instead of an "E" in the name.
https://www.mouser.ca/ProductDetail...M1MT-I-7G-211-STD?qs=sPbYRqrBIVmLv5sLjAf58Q==

Feb 22, 2024 at 12:23 PM Post #14,260 of 15,991
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Swissbit/SFSD256GN1AM1MT-E-7G-211-STD?qs=MyNHzdoqoQKEGKXiLqtX1g==

Wow that’s hefty price but I understand since it is for industrial use and hence data reliability is big part of it but just the other day I got 1.5Tb card for $120, lol
If you are looking at 1.5TB industrial grade, the only offering is with Micron I400:

https://www.mouser.sg/ProductDetail...m8A2dh8lPSZKwFiBPsAbP/DtihrZBfLJr0raas4Nb8g==

Feb 22, 2024 at 12:24 PM Post #14,261 of 15,991

I confirm, new sandisk 1.5TB micro SD card are working perfectly fine even in my old WM1A ..of course in bit perfect mode with any of my hires files as none of those files need a very high transfer rate that such card wouldn't be able to afford.
Basically 150mb/s is just a monstrous transfer rate that no music files will never need..

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2024 at 12:40 PM Post #14,262 of 15,991
I guess I have to bring up this post by @ttt123:

"And the people who say bits are bits are correct. Bits are bits, even with cheap cards, but lower power and better noise performance comes with the more expensive industrial cards. And lower noise, from any part of a system, results in an improvement in any system. And noise does affect sound."

Just to add my experience in this area, and another option for MicroSD cards.

WARNING: People who do not believe SD memory can make a difference to sound should not read any further, as this article will raise your blood pressure with no benefit. Though thinking about this, the higher blood pressure to your ears may enhance the ability of the ear to translate sound waves to electrical impulses, and thus affect/improve what you hear.......

Others may find the discussion interesting....

- I had experienced what you describe when I first tried the Sandisk Extreme Pro, back in late 2020, and was quite surprised at the difference/improvement. I switched to the Extreme Pro for any further SD card purchase. (Also, it was affordable, so no big deal)

- Earlier this year (April), I got a Micron 256GB MTSD256AKC7MS-1WT 3.3V 256GB Micro SD. It was expensive, and only available from Mouser, but decided to splurge, as a distraction from Covid.
- First impression was not favorable, and using it for awhile(weeks), I was ready to give up on it, as the sound was noticeably worse than the Sandisk Extreme Pro. A bummer, as it cost USD125. Then remembered that previous discussions on this topic had recommended to use the SDFormatter (from the SD Industry) to do an overwrite (long) format using a PC, and then format on the Sony WM1Z which I was using, and then copy music onto it. This, and some burn-in, got it to sound like what other users had written about. At this point, I rated the Micron as the superior sounding card over the Sandisk Extreme Pro. But the problem was that it was so expensive....

- In mid Aug, I was at the Computer show, and saw a card that had been written about, but that I had not seen at the stores. This was a Kioxia Exceria High Endurance MicroSDXC 256GB card. (Kioxia is the rebranded name for Toshiba memory products.) Bought one for HKD390 (usd50) which was a more affordable price.
Took it home and tried it. used the SDFormatter overwrite format first, then format in the RS6. Really hoping that it would be decent sounding.
- And it sounds very good, on first use, and got better. Subjective opinion, this is now my preferred MicroSD card. And it is affordable, and available from local stores, or Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Kioxia-microSD-Exceria-Endurance-LMHE1G256GG2/dp/B089VTMJ33

- Did some research to see what it's specs are/why it is different. It's 3D NAND (94 layer?) I could not find whether it was MLC or TLC, but it is for sure a multi bit per cell, using 3D NAND technology, which stacks memory cells vertically. Think the 256GB is 94 layers. This structure is more complex, but uses less power, shorter access lines, lower latency. The complex and dense structure means that a lot of work has been done during development, to optimize power and noise, as the memory cell structure is so dense.
Edit: Exceria uses BiCS 3D Flash memory, which uses a different structure to create the 3D structure of the memory cells.
Another MicroSD available is from Transcend, which uses 3D NAND structure for their High Endurance MicroSD, similar to Micron

And it is the improvements in lower power and noise that I think are beneficial for Audio.

And the people who say bits are bits are correct. Bits are bits, even with cheap cards, but lower power and better noise performance comes with the more expensive industrial cards. And lower noise, from any part of a system, results in an improvement in any system. And noise does affect sound.

And once you start looking into it, SD memory is amazingly complex, with continuous work by the industry to increase memory cell density, and more efficient memory cell structures, and cell access methods.

Here is an article about current TLC 3D NAND technology using 232 layers, for Micron and SK Hynix 1TB chips. It's hard to imagine the complexity of a small MicroSD card....
https://www.electronicdesign.com/te...gn-memory-chip-makers-take-3d-nand-up-a-level

Some Youtube videos on 3D Nand:

Feb 22, 2024 at 12:53 PM Post #14,263 of 15,991
Also these are words from the audio engineers of the Sony Walkman, published in 2023, seems like to me there's something along the lines of sd card power consumption affecting the sound of the Walkman, maybe my comprehension isn't perfect but it's a google translation, so those who can read Japanese, maybe can enlightenment me:

https://online.stereosound.co.jp/_ct/17611977

(Hiroshi Sato) It's a small detail, but we chose components with good sound for the SD card slot so that the sound will remain the same whether you play from the internal memory or the SD card.

Sato (Morning) Power is supplied to the SD card from the Walkman, but the sound changes depending on the stability of the power supply, so we thought we could manage it properly.

Asakura high-resolution sound sources have a large capacity, so the number of people who listen to sound sources saved on SD cards will increase. It's good that that area is being taken care of properly.

Feb 22, 2024 at 12:59 PM Post #14,264 of 15,991
Day 2 of new update, switching from long-term Direct to DSEE, and reducing volume by 1:

Less and less I lament what was lost -was it a wider soundstage, or something?
Seperation seems better now, but closer together? Was it too far apart before?
I'm experiencing the least fatigue I've ever had, and it sounds more resolving than ever before. Increasingly, I have the feeling of more and more! Every album sounds better than the last, and I don't care what comes next as long as there's more. I love music I hate in this.

The next update will make this perfect :)

Feb 22, 2024 at 1:32 PM Post #14,265 of 15,991
Day 2 of new update, switching from long-term Direct to DSEE, and reducing volume by 1:

Less and less I lament what was lost -was it a wider soundstage, or something?
Seperation seems better now, but closer together? Was it too far apart before?
I'm experiencing the least fatigue I've ever had, and it sounds more resolving than ever before. Increasingly, I have the feeling of more and more! Every album sounds better than the last, and I don't care what comes next as long as there's more. I love music I hate in this.

The next update will make this perfect :)
Just a good reason to revisit old albums that you haven’t listened for sometime.
It like a kinder surprise when the new firmware dsee algorithms pops up new sound positions and reverberations or envelopes you with a surround like effect in an old song that you knew didn’t have any kind of surround in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back