SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Feb 22, 2024 at 2:23 AM Post #14,236 of 15,987
I feel that the major increase in the presence of sub-bass on this new firmware really helps to elevate the tempo and rhythm of the music. Even on the BA driver based IER-M9, there is a significantly strong rumble feel to the sub-bass. I would think that Bass lovers will be very happy with this new firmware, that's for sure.

Feb 22, 2024 at 4:29 AM Post #14,238 of 15,987
Not still

Would suggest to try out. Personally for myself, I find FLAC to sound just a bit more congested, with higher compression settings sounding much worse. I would use the AIFF format as container for the PCM, as it allows for album art and metadata. To me the sound quality gain is worth the extra space required for uncompressed music.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2024 at 4:57 AM Post #14,239 of 15,987
Set the date and time. Change it to another date/time, and change it back to toggle it. Restart, try the update again.
There is a warning about this on the Firmware page, so it may be able to affect the update. What is described does not match your situation, but still worth trying, I guess.

https://www.sony.com.hk/en/electron...yers-nw-wm-series/nw-wm1am2/software/00277354
IMPORTANT:
  • You will need to update both the Music Center for PC software and the Walkman firmware to the latest versions to improve connection stability. If either is not updated to the latest version, there is a possibility that the Music Center for PC software and Walkman device will not connect properly.
  • The date and time must be set correctly on the Walkman or the update notification may not appear. If they are not correct, set the date and time manually.
I checked all ..update finally started randomly at one of my attempt on home Wifi ..not sure what it was

Feb 22, 2024 at 5:05 AM Post #14,240 of 15,987
I checked all ..update finally started randomly at one of my attempt on home Wifi ..not sure what it was
Internet traffic jam? Glitch in the matrix?

At least it is automagically resolved.

Just to confirm, you have also done the airplane mode, sensors off and battery saver on tweak? Just a reminder as you have just reset your Walkman.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2024 at 5:12 AM Post #14,241 of 15,987

Just to confirm, you have also done the airplane mode, sensors off and battery saver on tweak? Just a reminder as you have just reset your Walkman.
100%

If there was any added service that i could safely remove /debloat other then the list in the optimization guide ( + AP15 ) then I would

@Sonywalkmanuser did you try Qobuz , just for mere comparison ?

Feb 22, 2024 at 5:14 AM Post #14,242 of 15,987

Could have been a lag in updating files for OTA in my region or corruped files ? But my DAP is japanese ..so... 🤷

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2024 at 5:21 AM Post #14,243 of 15,987
Sorry I don't use streaming services, I am an offline audiophile. All my music is stored on my Swissbit S55U Industrial card. I don't like the idea of corporations dictating what I can listen(Licensing can change at any time and you can lose access to the streaming music). Also there seem to be hidden undefeatable replaygain/dynamics compression in the Streaming music apps or hidden replaygain contained within the streaming music data files, which is a no no for sound quality in my books.

I would disable: chrome, google play services and google play store

Only enable them occasionally when I need to update apps or login into Sony account for the headphone app using chrome.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2024 at 5:33 AM Post #14,244 of 15,987
Sorry I don't use streaming services, I am an offline audiophile. All my music is stored on my Swissbit S55U Industrial card. I don't like the idea of corporations dictating what I can listen(Licensing can change at any time and you can lose access to the streaming music). Also there seem to be hidden undefeatable replygain/dynamics compression in the Streaming music apps or hidden replygain contained within the streaming music data files, which is a no no for sound quality in my books.

I am sorry that you would not try it , it has a 30days free trial .

Besides that , Qobuz has been immensely helpful in
-making me discover new music
-recovering old music in their highest res and format possible
-leaving me free roaming through any genres , and the new hires format productions are quite a show for audiophile ears

and convenient

Ps i own a Swissbit s55u , I compare from there too.
I would disable: chrome, google play services and google play store
chrome already disabled on my 1am2..the other 2 indid i am disabling them as I won't need the playstore for a long time too

Feb 22, 2024 at 5:51 AM Post #14,245 of 15,987
I am sorry that you would not try it , it has a 30days free trial .

Besides that , Qobuz has been immensely helpful in
-making me discover new music
-recovering old music in their highest res and format possible
-leaving me free roaming through any genres , and the new hires format productions are quite a show for audiophile ears

and convenient

Ps i own a Swissbit s55u , I compare from there too.

chrome already disabled on my 1am2..the other 2 indid i am disabling them as I won't need the playstore for a long time too
Sadly Qobuz is not available for Singapore. Not going to subscribe to VPN just to get it running.

I think I have gotten almost all of my old music in the red book format. Quite satisfied with collection.

I just use youtube for discovering new music, it's free and it works good enough.

Also I think I have grown extremely cynical with the music industry, especially with western music, I really don't find any of the modern music to be attractive. I tend to go for very niche music nowadays, maybe j-anime or some youtuber singing covers of older songs.

Happy to report that my Swissbit S55U has been problem free so far. Zero issues encountered.

I think so far only three of us @Sonywalkmanuser, @andrewski and @boodi are using the Swissbit card. A very special club.

Feb 22, 2024 at 8:24 AM Post #14,247 of 15,987
Feb 22, 2024 at 9:09 AM Post #14,248 of 15,987
I consider Swissbit the most important part of my chain. It even affects Bluetooth and I benefit from one in my phone.

Performance/ price ratio is so good that price shouldn't be an issue. What can be a deal breaker is max 256G. If there's a remote possibility that 256G can be enough for you, then I highly, highly recommend a Swissbit.

No one who's tried it has knocked it. 100% customer satisfaction :)

Feb 22, 2024 at 9:13 AM Post #14,249 of 15,987
Hola amigo ¿y yo también? jeje, me perdí en el hilo de comentarios, tengo mucha música física, puro metal y rock, también consumo streaming, tengo servicios contratados, Tidal, Qobuz y Spotify, pero estoy más en el dap en formato local, y cuando viajo en el coche uso de transmisión.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2024 at 9:14 AM Post #14,250 of 15,987
I feel that the major increase in the presence of sub-bass on this new firmware really helps to elevate the tempo and rhythm of the music. Even on the BA driver based IER-M9, there is a significantly strong rumble feel to the sub-bass. I would think that Bass lovers will be very happy with this new firmware, that's for sure.
I do feel the same with 1ZM2 as well but I was not using Walkman on regular basis so this feeling of stronger bass is based on my memory.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back