SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Feb 21, 2024 at 3:37 PM Post #14,221 of 15,604
so , one by one one at a time

-updated 1am2 to fw1.08
-debloated the whole debloatable hell out of it
-reinstalled AP15 and Qobuz
-started listening ( 30 min now / very preliminary )
-no dsee for now

✓ mids more forward , smoother , less grain , easier appreciation of some details ( voices i.e. ), can see the added "tubey" super subtle nuance at least for a region , in mids , not sure if this added smoothness/sweetness touch is allthrough frequencies though
✓ not sure how or where but overall better kick on prat ( drums / beat / rhythm ) , it feels almost like it got half a shift up on some lower register
on 1 song subbass seemed to me deeper in stage ( decay of some drums more present ?, still drums beat / attack is spot , on the fast side of prat )

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 3:47 PM Post #14,222 of 15,604
just 40 min over it
no dsee on
already quite happy on the improvements - as they quite feel so , improvements
interesting added character on mids
voices guitars etc sound more romantic
i,e, grips on guitar distortions sound more emotive and feels more textured
or synths in some songs sound little bit more alive , they come up and on better integrated in the whole , easier foreground texturing for their tone too

I like it

40m into it , but feels quite a major improvement..many areas ..my ears ..

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 4:25 PM Post #14,228 of 15,604
I left the Dap for a while and I'm with this gem of a CD with the mdr1am2 headphones.

Attachments

• Fotos.jpg
    Fotos.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 0
Feb 21, 2024 at 4:34 PM Post #14,229 of 15,604
I think there seems to be more volume headroom on high gain on this new firmware. Seems to drive my ier-m9 really over loud past 68 on hg, gets uncomfortable once 70 and beyond

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 4:52 PM Post #14,231 of 15,604
I would think that nostalgia factor might actually make some old devices sound better than they actually are. Maybe there are people who prefer the sound of the tape Walkman or the Discman.
Panasonic/Technics M.A.S.H anyone?

Feb 21, 2024 at 4:59 PM Post #14,232 of 15,604
How does it compare to walkman daps of these days ? Really interested 😁
Well, I am still very happy even consuming physical music, the sound is very good, there are recordings that are equal to the DAP, in a musical sense without reaching the level of audiophilia, I am more of a music lover.

Feb 21, 2024 at 10:47 PM Post #14,233 of 15,604
@Sonywalkmanuser true , drums beat / kick / dynamic expression has been upped a tad
subbass is more separate now from rest of bass
Although we didn’t get a new Android version, I think this firmware update has significantly improved the sound quality of the WM1AM2. It’s like a different sounding dap right now, in a good way. So in love with the new sound, it just wows me in DSEE Ultimate ability to re-create so much new details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back