SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Feb 8, 2024 at 3:32 AM Post #14,058 of 15,611
Unsettling experience with my WM1ZM2 this evening. Jamming, all is well until music abruptly stops, screen goes black and nothing. 1ZM2 is non responsive to initial powering on. Plug in, red light displays, still won’t turn on. Wait a bit, hold power button for 8-10 seconds and she finally boots. Battery was over 70%, so that wasn’t my issue. Anyone ever experience this?
Malfunction will occur on any computing platform, your Walkman is not immune to this. This is the reason why aircrafts and space crafts have multiple flight control computers for redundancies.

It could be due to a few reasons:

Unresolved programming bugs causing unrecoverable memory leak
Cosmic Events https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20221011-how-space-weather-causes-computer-errors
Strong external eletromagnetic interference
Faulty Hardware like a degrading microsd card
Corrupted Music file
Overheating

I won't be so concerned about a single unexplained event like this. crap happens.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2024 at 10:21 AM Post #14,059 of 15,611
So I just received a MOJO2 and wanted to try it out with the USB C connection from the Wm1AM2. I couldn't get any sound from it though. Anyone willing to help my stupidity out for a minute? Or is it not possible. Thanks!

Feb 8, 2024 at 10:54 AM Post #14,060 of 15,611
So I just received a MOJO2 and wanted to try it out with the USB C connection from the Wm1AM2. I couldn't get any sound from it though. Anyone willing to help my stupidity out for a minute? Or is it not possible. Thanks!
When you plug the mojo into the dap, see a pop-up saying a mojo dac is detected. If so, what apps show to give access?

My 1AM2 works fine with my Original Chord Hugo.

If I'm using tidal i just click anywhere on the screen. I don't select Yes. If you select Yes it won't let the sound out.

Feb 8, 2024 at 11:08 AM Post #14,061 of 15,611
It hasn't given me a prompt at all. It did on my Iphone w/ the USB C connection and it worked great. I'll try again and see if it gives a prompt and I'm just missing it. Not 100% used to android since it's been 7yrs since I've had one.

Feb 8, 2024 at 11:26 AM Post #14,062 of 15,611
It hasn't given me a prompt at all. It did on my Iphone w/ the USB C connection and it worked great. I'll try again and see if it gives a prompt and I'm just missing it. Not 100% used to android since it's been 7yrs since I've had one.
You can also try a micro USB cable to see if you get a different result.

HUGO only has a micro USB.

Feb 10, 2024 at 11:04 AM Post #14,063 of 15,611
Anyone have the japanese gold brick and have used warranty yet? How would that work and was it painless?

Side Note: I bought a brand new 1am2 and a brand new 1zm2 and the 1am2 came out of box with 1 dead pixel om screen.

Then shortly for the zm2 there was also a dead pixel. Are people experiencing the sony daps to have dead pixels quite easily?

Or did I just get super unlucky as I am 2 for 2 and they were both brand new units.

I did end up keeping just the 1zm2 but since it is the japanese version, warranty seems bit annoying.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 2:24 PM Post #14,064 of 15,611
Anyone have the japanese gold brick and have used warranty yet? How would that work and was it painless?

Side Note: I bought a brand new 1am2 and a brand new 1zm2 and the 1am2 came out of box with 1 dead pixel om screen.

Then shortly for the zm2 there was also a dead pixel. Are people experiencing the sony daps to have dead pixels quite easily?

Or did I just get super unlucky as I am 2 for 2 and they were both brand new units.

I did end up keeping just the 1zm2 but since it is the japanese version, warranty seems bit annoying.
I don’t think dead pixel is that common with Walkman.

Feb 11, 2024 at 3:10 PM Post #14,066 of 15,611
I want to use the WM1AM2 vie USB out into my TA-ZH1ES dac as a source in my home theater. Can I operate it using tidal connect or the Sony app from a tablet or will I have to get up from my seat to change songs?
If you want to operate it from a distance, you are better off getting up ifi Zen.

Edit: Tidal connect should work on wm1am2.

Feb 11, 2024 at 3:33 PM Post #14,067 of 15,611
If you want to operate it from a distance, you are better off getting up ifi Zen.

Edit: Tidal connect should work on wm1am2.
Will it be lossless from USB out of Sony Walkman ?

Feb 11, 2024 at 5:50 PM Post #14,068 of 15,611
Bit of an unusual post... but Sony Walkman related still:

I'll be in Toyko later this spring. Which Sony store is the best to try to get to in order to checkout their audio products including finally getting to listen to the 1Z? Is the one in Ginza (Japan, 〒104-0061 Tokyo, Chuo City, Ginza) the best to go to, or are there other better options? Or perhaps their best audio products are not even at a dedicated Sony store? Looking for some advice from people who know Tokyo, as I wouldn't mind taking a look while there. Thanks!

Feb 12, 2024 at 9:28 AM Post #14,069 of 15,611

I'll be in Toyko later this spring. Which Sony store is the best to try to get to in order to checkout their audio products including finally getting to listen to the 1Z? Is the one in Ginza (Japan, 〒104-0061 Tokyo, Chuo City, Ginza) the best to go to, or are there other better options? Or perhaps their best audio products are not even at a dedicated Sony store? Looking for some advice from people who know Tokyo, as I wouldn't mind taking a look while there. Thanks!
Ginza store is fantastic and you can test the 1Z there. They have a demo unit there and you can request to sample any of their headphones/IEMs with it.

I also highly recommend E-earphone: 〒101-0021 Tokyo, Chiyoda City, Sotokanda, 4 Chome−7−1 新東ビル

Feb 12, 2024 at 10:50 AM Post #14,070 of 15,611

i haven't been there but many users here recommend e-earphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back