SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Jan 24, 2024 at 12:53 PM Post #13,891 of 15,604
In Spotify offline mode, the volume is 100. With Clear MG, it dropped from 43% to 30% in 2 hours. The screen is always off and at low gain with the 3.5mm output. Battery life is not that good except for the Walkman application.
I don't know whether you bought the player brand new or used. But when brand new, the battery needs a few charges to calibrate to reach full performance.

Jan 24, 2024 at 1:01 PM Post #13,892 of 15,604
I don't know whether you bought the player brand new or used. But when brand new, the battery needs a few charges to calibrate to reach full performance.
I just bought it. It hasn't been a week. It's the first hours. It's only been charged once. I'll be patient :wink:

Geri bildirim

Jan 24, 2024 at 1:14 PM Post #13,893 of 15,604
Sometimes subtle differences can seem huge.

I just tried Dioxit on my microSD for the very first time. Barely wiped it a couple of times. Inserted it a couple of times. And it sounds ... cleaner, more full, blacker blacks, and details I haven't heard before.

I felt like my Dad cleaning the heads of the cassette player with rubbing alcohol.

Anyways, I'm a believer. Recommended :)
Your belief is extraordinary 🤣

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2024 at 1:17 PM Post #13,894 of 15,604
1000054498.jpg

I have good news for those who doubt the loudness of the WM1AM2. My music player with no volume limit feeds my Sennheiser HD 660s2, Focal Clear MG and Beyerdynamic DT 1990 pro headphones without any problems. I like to listen to music at high volume and the sound power of the WM1AM2 is enough for me. This is not a problem for WM1AM2. :wink:

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2024 at 1:32 PM Post #13,895 of 15,604
for any Mac users on Apple Silicon computers who are frustrated with the inability to directly add music to the player by plugging in their device to their computer (as opposed to having to remove the MicroSD card and mount that), I have great success with the MacDroid program by putting the unit into Developer Mode.

Much easier to drag and drop music directly to the player now!

Jan 25, 2024 at 5:17 AM Post #13,899 of 15,604
I use a Samsung mobile phone. I don't have an Apple phone, but my brother has an apple music account. My question is: Can I listen to music with my WM1AM2 walkman with the Apple Music application?
Even on your Samsung phone, you still can use Apple Music. And of course, Walkman can easily download the application on the Google Play store with flawless working.

Jan 25, 2024 at 3:23 PM Post #13,900 of 15,604
Just tried poweramp music app and imo slightly worsened the sound. I probably messed up some setting. Anyways, uninstalled it after 15 mins of use so back to the original walkman app.

Did a sound setting reset and maybe it's just in my head but felt like sound improved. So perhaps there's setting that I accidentally messed up.

Just tried Direct OFF and I actually prefer this sound. Adds a bit of liveliness to the music. Direct ON is a bit too "clean/digital sounding" for my taste.

Jan 25, 2024 at 3:26 PM Post #13,901 of 15,604
Hi,

I have an original NW-WM1A which I'm using with my music library and enjoying very much. I'm considering an M2 for streaming at this stage and wondering (a) how close the streaming performance is to the playback of a music library (I have read the comments comparing M1 and M2) and (b) I want to maximize Android compartibility: is this a good time to buy it or is there a new version potentially coming-up that will make it be able to run the streaming apps for longer? thanks!

Jan 25, 2024 at 4:03 PM Post #13,902 of 15,604
Hi,

I have an original NW-WM1A which I'm using with my music library and enjoying very much. I'm considering an M2 for streaming at this stage and wondering (a) how close the streaming performance is to the playback of a music library (I have read the comments comparing M1 and M2) and (b) I want to maximize Android compartibility: is this a good time to buy it or is there a new version potentially coming-up that will make it be able to run the streaming apps for longer? thanks!

I am thinking of such way too .. but as I need anyway for my trips a smartphone with me, I mostly use the NW-WM1A as DAC of my smartphone (Z Fold 5 1Tb which allows a big amount of Qobuz offline playlists + 1Tb of playlists of flac Hires files of the NWM1A) ..
It allows me also ultra long playing time between 18 to 24 hours hires files for overseas filghts...

For sure, I really enjoy the Wm1A with the IER-Z1R a lot after so many years, so I am afraid to try other recent combos (even based on sony M2 versions) which will make me loose loose the amazing sound quality of the WM1A.

Jan 25, 2024 at 4:35 PM Post #13,903 of 15,604
Hi,

Sony Walkman release cycles are slow. Not like other Manufacturers, which release new models yearly, sometimes multiple times in a year.
From WM1A/Z to WM1A/ZM2 was about 5 years.
So going by previous release cycles, there are no new Walkman models coming for a couple of years.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #13,904 of 15,604
I have been using quality equipment for years. I have been listening to DSD recordings. I can immediately tell the difference between the mp3 recordings and 24 bit recordings in my archive. Even though I made all the lossless settings in Apple music, I could not hear any difference between Spotify and Apple music. Even though I did an a/b test with many different songs for 1 hour, it is exactly the same. !I was hoping for a clear difference. Why do you think there was such a result?
Note: I downloaded it losslessly from the Apple music application to my WM1AM2 player.
There is not even the slightest difference between spotify and apple music. What is wrong? There must be a clear difference between 320 kbps mp3 and 24 bit!

Jan 25, 2024 at 5:55 PM Post #13,905 of 15,604
I have been using quality equipment for years. I have been listening to DSD recordings. I can immediately tell the difference between the mp3 recordings and 24 bit recordings in my archive. Even though I made all the lossless settings in Apple music, I could not hear any difference between Spotify and Apple music. Even though I did an a/b test with many different songs for 1 hour, it is exactly the same. !I was hoping for a clear difference. Why do you think there was such a result?
Note: I downloaded it losslessly from the Apple music application to my WM1AM2 player.
There is not even the slightest difference between spotify and apple music. What is wrong? There must be a clear difference between 320 kbps mp3 and 24 bit!
Are you using the walkman music app? Try copying the downloaded file to a different DAP or play it elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back