SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Jan 21, 2024 at 3:30 PM Post #13,816 of 15,795
While charging, the player draws the current it needs from the charger, so it doesn't really matter if the charger is weak or not, because it's not the charger "pushing" current into the device.

Jan 21, 2024 at 3:42 PM Post #13,817 of 15,795
While charging, the player draws the current it needs from the charger, so it doesn't really matter if the charger is weak or not, because it's not the charger "pushing" current into the device.
Although this is a decade old article, it shows that not all chargers are designed well and some exhibit higher levels of power supply ripple noise:
http://www.righto.com/2012/10/a-dozen-usb-chargers-in-lab-apple-is.html?m=1

For battery charging applications, poor ripple voltage management can reduce the lifetime of the battery. It can even cause the battery to become unexpectedly warm due to the internal resistance of the battery and I2R losses, depending on the type of battery this may further increase the internal resistance and further increase losses leading to a runaway effect.
https://www.componentsbureau.com/la...hat-is-voltage-ripple-and-why-is-it-important

I would believe it is better to have a peace of mind to use a reputable and well designed usb charger that doesn’t cause extra excess heat to the charging circuitry of the Walkman. I would deem our Walkman as sensitive equipment category, and would rather be more extra mindful on what charger is connected to it. After all it is not a cheap usb lightbulb but a very high precision and rather expensive sound output device.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2024 at 4:41 PM Post #13,818 of 15,795
So, what is the healthiest way to charge your Walkman? A quality charger or a computer USB connection?

And if we immediately disconnect when the charge is 100%, is it still necessary to activate the battery health mode?

Jan 22, 2024 at 3:13 AM Post #13,819 of 15,795
I want to update to version 1.07. It has been showing 0% for about 20 minutes. Is this normal?

Attachments

• 20240122_111015.jpg
    20240122_111015.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Jan 22, 2024 at 4:38 AM Post #13,821 of 15,795
@ DefinitioN. I've had my new AM 2 for 2 weeks. I did it like this: unpacked, charged to 100%. Then did the update. After the update, I reset the AM 2 to a factory reset so that old system residues are deleted. I do this after every update. Yes and after that I followed Walkmanuser's optimization guide. I haven't had any problems so far and the battery lasts for what feels like forever. Simply great. Thanks to @Walkmanuser for posting the optimizations. Great work.

Jan 22, 2024 at 5:22 AM Post #13,822 of 15,795
@ DefinitioN. I've had my new AM 2 for 2 weeks. I did it like this: unpacked, charged to 100%. Then did the update. After the update, I reset the AM 2 to a factory reset so that old system residues are deleted. I do this after every update. Yes and after that I followed Walkmanuser's optimization guide. I haven't had any problems so far and the battery lasts for what feels like forever. Simply great. Thanks to @Walkmanuser for posting the optimizations. Great work.
The first charge is 100%. The update is ok. I haven't followed the other steps yet. It can disable Google programs. I listen to songs offline. The battery drains very quickly. But I hope to find a solution to this. The sound? It is perfect in 24 bit and DSD recordings. Yes, it is simply amazing.

Jan 22, 2024 at 6:03 AM Post #13,823 of 15,795
I'm very happy to get this data. Flac songs, native player, 3.5mm low gain, volume at 80 and dropped from 83% to 81% in 1 hour. The screen was always off.

headphones 250 ohm Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro.

Attachments

• 20240122_140419.jpg
    20240122_140419.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
Jan 22, 2024 at 6:55 AM Post #13,824 of 15,795
So, what is the healthiest way to charge your Walkman? A quality charger or a computer USB connection?

And if we immediately disconnect when the charge is 100%, is it still necessary to activate the battery health mode?
I would think that a quality charger is preferable to a computer as theres more likelihood of electronic interference coming from the computer with its various gpu and other components in the mix. But computer charging is still a safer choice if compared to a badly designed wall charger.

Healthiest way to extend the operating life of your Walkman battery:

Try to charge up when the Walkman’s battery drops to 20% or so. Do not allow the Walkman to drain down to 0%. Studies have found that most of the battery wear and tear happens between 0% to 20% and 90% to 100% of the battery charge, due to the way which oxides deposits. Thus enabling battery care mode will help to slow down this battery deterioration. Do note that eventually all lithium batteries will eventually deteriorate and stop holding effective charge, it’s only a matter of time and number of full charge cycles, but you can certainly speed up the process.

It is also recommended to calibrate your Walkman battery once in a while:

How you do this is you allow for the Walkman to drain to 5% and auto shut off and then allow the Walkman to fully charge up to 100%(disable battery care) uninterrupted(meaning no disconnection of charging until 100%). This is recommended to be done once a month.

Also avoid excess heat during charging, keep your Walkman in a good airflow environment. Use good quality and short usb charging cables, the included Sony USB A to C cable is a good choice since it charges at a slower rate as compared to USB-C PD charging which helps to keep the temperature down.

Reducing display brightness can help save battery and also disable wifi and Bluetooth when not in use helps with battery standby.

Jan 22, 2024 at 7:52 AM Post #13,825 of 15,795
This question is impossible to answer, and nobody can replace your own evaluation. You probably know this, but are taking the lazy way out, and asking if somebody else can convince you. But that is impossible, and you are the only one that can convince yourself.

Some people say they hear no difference, or prefer the 1st gen.
Some people say the 2nd gen is better. I am one of these. I think the M2 is more transparent, more "musical". Of course this is subjective, and I have not done any comparison to prove it to myself. I am happy to go with the M2 from the viewpoint of getting the latest advances, and an evaluation that I do not perceive any negatives, and am enjoying the music from it.

So whatever you decide, there are people who will support your decision. But there is only one way to convince yourself. Try the M2 and decide for yourself.
- it may be that a short evaluation will not be enough, and you need to get one and use it for awhile
- it may be that for your own usage, there is no improvement from the M2, or you even like the original better
- you may find that the M2 has improvements that you like

All of these can be valid, and only you can decide which one is valid for YOU.

So is it worth getting the M2? My opinion is Yes.
Is this enough to convince you? I bet it is not. And rightly so.
Anybody else's opinion is just valid for themselves, as it cannot tell what YOU will experience.

So my answer is YES/NO/MAYBE

Oh, wait, I retract everything.....
Lol
had a laugh at the end here

Jan 22, 2024 at 8:18 AM Post #13,827 of 15,795
vinyl makes the midbass slightly more bouncy and plastic , too ; a shade of analogueness is definitely there with vynil on , since it -millimetrically?- slows attack/tempo it's useful for some tunes
less for others
subtle but .. definitely good to have the choice

Sony software dsp and their implementation is definitely something
I know , it's been up a lot of time but ..

also, in my experience and DSD use , other brands catched up late with sony re-mastering hi-rate conversion and quality
it's a bit unfortunate that when DSD remaster is on you can't use Eq too on Sony music player .. but can be circumvented with some compromise..

Jan 22, 2024 at 11:06 AM Post #13,828 of 15,795
I charged my Walkman to 87% (over night) and i was listening to several hours of music today. I think i was roughly 5 Albums.

The Battery went from 87% to 84%

Using the Walkman App and Direct. As this is my usual usecase i have to say that i am very satisfied with the battery peformance.

Also the fact that the Walkman supports fast charging is amazing. I have happen to be down at 20% because i forgot to charge, i plug it in for 15-20 Minutes and im above 50% and ready a whole day.

That was not possible with the first generation Walkman and especially not with any DAP i tested so far. The M11 Plus ESS lasted me, at most, one day with a full charge to 100%

Jan 22, 2024 at 11:09 AM Post #13,829 of 15,795
I charged my Walkman to 87% (over night) and i was listening to several hours of music today. I think i was roughly 5 Albums.

The Battery went from 87% to 84%

Using the Walkman App and Direct. As this is my usual usecase i have to say that i am very satisfied with the battery peformance.

Also the fact that the Walkman supports fast charging is amazing. I have happen to be down at 20% because i forgot to charge, i plug it in for 15-20 Minutes and im above 50% and ready a whole day.

That was not possible with the first generation Walkman and especially not with any DAP i tested so far. The M11 Plus ESS lasted me, at most, one day with a full charge to 100%
Can you please share your settings and if it's debloated? Mine runs down battery very fast, want to ensure it isn't a battery issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back