SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Jan 20, 2024 at 6:26 AM Post #13,774 of 15,604
can anyone sumarize if it worth buying a WM1AM2 if i already own a wm1a? will it be any better? in sound quality? thanks in advance!
This question is impossible to answer, and nobody can replace your own evaluation. You probably know this, but are taking the lazy way out, and asking if somebody else can convince you. But that is impossible, and you are the only one that can convince yourself.

Some people say they hear no difference, or prefer the 1st gen.
Some people say the 2nd gen is better. I am one of these. I think the M2 is more transparent, more "musical". Of course this is subjective, and I have not done any comparison to prove it to myself. I am happy to go with the M2 from the viewpoint of getting the latest advances, and an evaluation that I do not perceive any negatives, and am enjoying the music from it.

So whatever you decide, there are people who will support your decision. But there is only one way to convince yourself. Try the M2 and decide for yourself.
- it may be that a short evaluation will not be enough, and you need to get one and use it for awhile
- it may be that for your own usage, there is no improvement from the M2, or you even like the original better
- you may find that the M2 has improvements that you like

All of these can be valid, and only you can decide which one is valid for YOU.

So is it worth getting the M2? My opinion is Yes.
Is this enough to convince you? I bet it is not. And rightly so.
Anybody else's opinion is just valid for themselves, as it cannot tell what YOU will experience.

So my answer is YES/NO/MAYBE

Oh, wait, I retract everything.....

Jan 20, 2024 at 6:38 AM Post #13,775 of 15,604
can anyone sumarize if it worth buying a WM1AM2 if i already own a wm1a? will it be any better? in sound quality? thanks in advance!
The M2 is an significantly improved version over the first generation.

You have obviously higher sound quality, especially in the treble region due to more and better capacitors.

The M1 has 13 wound capacitors but only 8 of them are first generation FT CAP and 5 of them are OS-CON with an double layer capacitor for the power source.

The M2 has 21 wound capacitors and all of them are third generation FTCAP. That is an significant difference with a lot of minor improvements like the lead containing gold and small stuff like that.

But also more features like the improved battery life (roughly 10 hours more), android to download the songs right into your device or *shrug* stream

Especially when owning the A-Version, the M2 is a big jump

Jan 20, 2024 at 9:05 AM Post #13,777 of 15,604
Significant upgrade I agree. BUT for me I would guesstimate a 10 - 20% improvement in sound quality, likely 15%. I was happy I did buy when offered on sale, but at the usual retail price I would hesitate - in fact I'd still be waiting.
As far as the lazy way out mentioned above, convenience, logistics, and resources can make a personal evaluation more difficult to impossible, so...
The question might be about trying to find others' experiences to gauge if the further effort necessary is worthwhile.

Jan 20, 2024 at 10:13 AM Post #13,778 of 15,604
Significant upgrade I agree. BUT for me I would guesstimate a 10 - 20% improvement in sound quality, likely 15%. I was happy I did buy when offered on sale, but at the usual retail price I would hesitate - in fact I'd still be waiting.
As far as the lazy way out mentioned above, convenience, logistics, and resources can make a personal evaluation more difficult to impossible, so...
The question might be about trying to find others' experiences to gauge if the further effort necessary is worthwhile.
Absolutely understand that some people may have a hard time doing a first hand evaluation, as they cannot easily get access to the equipment.

I was also thinking in general about this situation, which arises all the time, whether something is "needed", or not.

- people will ask for opinions, knowing that this will not be enough, no matter how many opinions are available
- people will listen to opinions, and make a choice based on that. I have done this too many times, and many of those decisions, over the long term, were based on over hyped and overly optimistic viewpoints, and/or viewpoints that were correct, but did not apply to me. And were wrong for me.

Maybe what I am really trying to say is that I mistrust my own decisions based on reading too much/many other opinions, instead of doing my own research. And would have benefited from actually reading less before doing personal hands on research, so that the "opinions" would not swamp me with "rosy" expectations. And put me in a state of "must have it", which suppresses logical thinking. And could have resulted in a better decision, without preconceptions biasing it.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2024 at 10:19 AM Post #13,779 of 15,604
5 advanced people will tell you that it was the best decision to buy it.
5 advanced people will tell you it is a waste of money.

both opinions are 100% legit.

now you decide.

pure subjective opinion.

Jan 20, 2024 at 10:22 AM Post #13,780 of 15,604
Absolutely understand that some people may have a hard time doing a first hand evaluation, as they cannot easily get access to the equipment.

I was also thinking in general about this situation, which arises all the time, whether something is "needed", or not.

- people will ask for opinions, knowing that this will not be enough, no matter how many opinions are available
- people will listen to opinions, and make a choice based on that. I have done this too many times, and many of those decisions, over the long term, were based on over hyped and overly optimistic viewpoints, and/or viewpoints that were correct, but did not apply to me. And were wrong for me.

Maybe what I am really trying to say is that I mistrust my own decisions based on reading too much/many other opinions, instead of doing my own research. And would have benefited from actually reading less before doing personal hands on research, so that the "opinions" would not swamp me with "rosy" expectations. And put me in a state of "must have it", which suppresses logical thinking. And a better opinion, without preconceptions biasing it.
I would say, technically, the engineers improve the products as a successor. It is technically better for a company production sakes. For people who has no access to personal comparisons. I would advise them to weight their needs/practicality/budgets

On the front of preferences and subjectivities, nothing out weighing your own experiences. Because only you can really judge it

Jan 20, 2024 at 10:29 AM Post #13,781 of 15,604
all of them, but most common combo is dsee + vinyl, just an improvement of coherence + staging in all axis + timbre is smoother and more realistic
The Vinyl Processor has 4 options.
A man has been trying to look for the definitive description of each, but has been unsuccessful so far.
Can someone enlighten him?
Thanks. 🙂

Jan 20, 2024 at 10:43 AM Post #13,782 of 15,604
The Vinyl Processor has 4 options.
A man has been trying to look for the definitive description of each, but has been unsuccessful so far.
Can someone enlighten him?
Thanks. 🙂
I only use the "standard" one, which I prefer best, it smoothens the sound in a warm and forgiving way that helps with long listening sessions

Jan 20, 2024 at 12:05 PM Post #13,783 of 15,604
Jan 20, 2024 at 8:28 PM Post #13,784 of 15,604
I’m sure this has been discussed previously but i‘ve read multiple articles/ posts where users have paired the WM1ZM2 with an external amp even though the 1ZM2 does not have a line out function. Doesn’t this result in double amping? I don’t think this is would result in damage but I would assume there would be some degradation to sound quality. Any input is appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back