SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Jan 18, 2024 at 2:24 PM Post #13,741 of 15,604
How many songs does the temperature of SD card last inside the DAP for hi-res songs ?
Good question. Temperature rises after time. So with direct mode turned on and playing FLACs it lasts for about 1:20hrs until it reaches about 5°C. From then on, sound quality degrades significantly/audibly. Then you must decide if you want to keep this SD card getting warmer and warmer or if you want to take the next card out of the box. I know it's not as comfortable or flexible as if listening at standard temperatures. But, wow, you have to feel the difference.
I don't use frozen SD cards all the time. In case I know I'll listen in a rather suboptimal listening environment I stay with standard temperature. For more optimal environments I take the frozen ones. But keep in mind, try to keep the display off since it drains battery and will heat up DAP and card faster.

Jan 18, 2024 at 2:38 PM Post #13,742 of 15,604
I ALWAYS use ONLY frozen SD cards in my DAP. I take them out of my fridge at about -18°C. Everyone knows that electronics work much better and create less noise and less errors, if used at lower temperatures. For my DAP it means an ear opening, so much more detailed, 3D, transparent, and simply better sound than I ever experienced at room temperature or higher. Just as day and night. Try it and you'll know what I mean. Don't know how other DAPs behave here but with the AM2 it's simply a huge improvement 👍🏼
And while traveling I always carry two very compact ice boxes keeping them cool for hours 🙂
Hahahahahahaha 🤣🤣🤣🤣 good noe

Jan 18, 2024 at 3:23 PM Post #13,743 of 15,604
After a couple of months, I wanted to use my wm1zm2 again. After each song or each time when the screen turns off and on again for a song change, the sony player stops playing. The app restarts every time.

even a reset of the sony music app didn't help.

any suggestions here?

i did only the standard optimization as described here in the forum, that's it. I hadn't any issue until last time.

by the way: enjoy hans zimmer - The Last Samurai Suite: Part 1 (Live)
https://www.qobuz.com/de-de/album/live-hans-zimmer/h8pp64grxp4gb

Jan 18, 2024 at 3:28 PM Post #13,744 of 15,604
After a couple of months, I wanted to use my wm1zm2 again. After each song or each time when the screen turns off and on again for a song change, the sony player stops playing. The app restarts every time.

any suggestions here?

i did only the standard optimization as described here in the forum, that's it. I hadn't any issue until last time.

i would try factory resetting and see how it goes

Jan 18, 2024 at 3:29 PM Post #13,745 of 15,604

any suggestions here?

That sounds strange, I haven't had that occur.

I have to watch that movie now, thank you.

Jan 18, 2024 at 3:30 PM Post #13,746 of 15,604
Jan 18, 2024 at 4:27 PM Post #13,747 of 15,604
The Song is loaded into the internal memory (RAM) as data (not PWM) and then into the CPU cache before being decoded and then touched by the S-Master HX.

So when the music file is converted from data to music, it is already in the RAM and the SD-Card has no longer any influence on it.

I am pretty sure this was already explained in the past here. I've read that several times and did post it myself too
i saw some comment showing the swissbit had less distortion in passive mode, and considering the song is preloaded, that means the sd card is in passive mode which may affect things.

anyways, I hear a difference, from here on out you do what you want with this info

Jan 18, 2024 at 5:06 PM Post #13,748 of 15,604
Jan 18, 2024 at 5:07 PM Post #13,749 of 15,604
Jan 19, 2024 at 1:55 AM Post #13,751 of 15,604
Depends if you used dry ice or liquid nitrogen.
Well, you have to be careful since all cards have their different operating temperature ranges which vary pretty much. I currently use Kingston. Much superior to e.g. Sandisk.

Jan 19, 2024 at 3:52 AM Post #13,752 of 15,604
anyways, I hear a difference, from here on out you do what you want with this info
Is there something special about Sony that attracts this kind of people, or are there microSD card believers in other threads as well?
Or are all of them buy Sony DAP eventually and end up here? 🤷‍♂️

Jan 19, 2024 at 3:54 AM Post #13,753 of 15,604
Is there something special about Sony that attracts this kind of people, or are there microSD card believers in other threads as well?
Or are all of them buy Sony DAP eventually and end up here? 🤷‍♂️
probably the way their tech works, seems to be more sensitive to the smallest changes compared to others

Jan 19, 2024 at 6:24 AM Post #13,754 of 15,604
While it is extremely unlikely that the microSD card would become damaged by temperature while using inside our well designed Sony Walkman with its low heat generation S-Master HX digital amplifier, it is possible to get your microSD card damaged or have reduce operating life span in other electronic devices like portable gaming consoles or other high heat generation DAPs, so temperature rating of the microSD card do matter in some usage cases.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ROGAlly/comments/14jw7o5/micro_sd_card_will_overheat_or_damage_under/

@andrewski
I would think that the Swissbit has about the same leve of error correction as the Samsung Pro Ultimate as both are using extremely powerful LDPC type of error detection and correction algorithms.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2024 at 6:39 AM Post #13,755 of 15,604
micromachines-12-01152-g005.png
Also extremely cold temperatures actually causes more read disturb errors, so don’t try to freeze your card in the freezer for sound quality:

https://www.mdpi.com/2072-666X/12/10/1152

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back