SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Jan 11, 2024 at 3:07 PM Post #13,636 of 15,612
I still have Cowon J3 that can play CD quality.
I was going through a box of old electronics in the basement, the last time I visited Toronto, Canada. People commented that it was like a historical dig, where you uncovered layers of equipment, one older than the other.
I found my old iAudio X5L player, and a Kindle Keyboard, which had a built in Amazon worldwide low speed data sim. So brought them back with me. After the X5L, I had the Cowon J3.

Those days, I remember as being much more relaxed. I bought a player and used it for years, without the upgrade itch years apart. I think it was a happier time, as most of the time was spent listening to music, and not chasing new DAPs, IEMs, Cables, etc. I'm trying to go back to those times, in part, anyways.

I try to resist getting the newest, best, and set a limit on the price, above which I will not look, or even try.

My recent IEMs have been Raptgo HBB Hook X, KiwiEars Quintet, Fiio FH9, Sennheiser IE500 Pro, TRN BAX. All 2nd hand, older equipment, except the Quintet, which I bought new, so I got them for a large reduction. At the moment, I'm quite enjoying the TRN BAX (2 x EST (2 x Sonion Electret/Electrostatic drivers, 1 x 10mm Dual Magnetic DD, and 1 x Knowles 29689 BA).
So, audio on a budget. So far, I have managed to keep happy with the lower priced equipment that performs beyond expectations, at affordable prices. The trick is to be able to convince yourself that there is no need to keep looking, and just enjoy what you have. Which, if I list out what I already have(not just the recent purchases), is more than enough to make any reasonable person happy.

Ahh, but who ever said audiophiles are reasonable?

New equipment/technology is like a drug. That's why I always thought that we need something like Alcoholics Anonymous, but for audiophiles.

Call it Audioholics Anonymous.
And everybody has to stand up, and admit to the room, at a meeting of the afflicted: "I am an audioholic". I cannot buy just one IEM/DAP/Cable. If I start, there is no stopping. So I cannot start. To date, I have not bought any TOTL equipment for 6 months. I am limited to purchases below US$200, and only can look at the used, deeply discounted market.

Though the recent WM1AM2, and the ZX707 surely don't need to be counted as a breaking of the rules, as I got them for a 40-50% discount?

Jan 12, 2024 at 6:44 AM Post #13,637 of 15,612
I finally picked up my AM 2 in Malaysia on Monday. I can only say one thing: I'm totally thrilled. It sounds fantastic right out of the box!!! So far I haven't heard any sounds that I don't like. With the iBasso Dx 300 and 320, the upper screaming mids got on my nerves. Shannling M8 was ok but he became like this. Terribly hot and would automatically shut off when I had it in my pocket. I went for a walk on the beach with the Sony today and what can I do. say he was cool the whole time, maybe lukewarm. Great !!! And this sound is simply divine. I would say even better than the M 8. Somehow more captivating. I'm curious to see what it sounds like after 200-300 hours!!!

Jan 12, 2024 at 10:24 AM Post #13,639 of 15,612
Congrats and do not foget to debloat it according to the instructions in one of the neighbouring threads here.
That was one of the first things I did after unpacking. But thank you very much for the tip. I've been listening to it for several hours today and the AM 2 is addictive. I also love this fantastic dynamic!!!

Jan 12, 2024 at 10:39 AM Post #13,640 of 15,612
I think that for the price, although it's not a little money, I've had players before that cost twice as much or more, like the AK 240 SS, AK 320 and AK 380 with screw-on Ak amplifiers and my last ones were DX300, DX 320 and M 8, but I have to say I like the sound of the Sony the best. Really impressive. But they are also all personal sound preferences.

Jan 12, 2024 at 11:44 AM Post #13,642 of 15,612
I think that for the price, although it's not a little money, I've had players before that cost twice as much or more, like the AK 240 SS, AK 320 and AK 380 with screw-on Ak amplifiers and my last ones were DX300, DX 320 and M 8, but I have to say I like the sound of the Sony the best. Really impressive. But they are also all personal sound preferences.
Sony's S-Master Direct Digital is one of a kind, and an example of the simplest reproduction chain possible.

DACS:
- Most DAPs use Delta-Sigma DAC chips
- 1 Bit implementations
- R2R DAPs use resistor ladders, either on a chip, or discrete
- Sony S-Master Direct Digital - Sony proprietary, and only used by Sony DAPs, as far as I know

AMPS:
- All DAPS convert Digital to Analog, using DS or R2R or 1-Bit, and then through an Analog AMP
- Sony S-Master Direct Digital is Digital all the way. Digital PCM -> Pulse Stream - Low Pass Filter. This bypasses the D to A stage entirely, and also does not have an Analog Amp in the sound chain

Theoretically, a simple and direct chain is the best. The Sony is as simple as you can get.

Extra options (amp options), etc., also mean extra electronic and analog switches and signal traces are inserted in the path. This has a potential to degrade the sound.
Sony's S-Master is the simplest, and no other DAP even comes close.
I have come to appreciate this more, after applying a relay bypass mod, using better wires, from the coils to the 4.4mm Jack, on my WM1AM2. This bypasses the analog relays, and circuit board traces, with high grade wires. This even simpler, and more direct path, gives a noticeable improvement to the music reproduction.

The saying that "Less is More" is true.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 6:19 PM Post #13,646 of 15,612
I got a used WM1AM2 and one thing I see missing is the different playback methods; on the old WM1Z we had the analog meters, digital VU meter, graphic EQ and more, are those features gone on the M2s?

Jan 15, 2024 at 2:13 AM Post #13,648 of 15,612
Does anyone have some recommended closedback overhead headphones work well with WM1ZM2? My ears dones't feel very comfortable wearing IEMs for a long time. Don't know if 1zm2 can drive something like DCA E3

Jan 15, 2024 at 2:15 AM Post #13,649 of 15,612
Does anyone have some recommended closedback overhead headphones work well with WM1ZM2? My ears dones't feel very comfortable wearing IEMs for a long time. Don't know if 1zm2 can drive something like DCA E3
MDR-Z1R.

Jan 15, 2024 at 2:18 AM Post #13,650 of 15,612
Thanks, do you think 1zm2 has enough porwer to drive those without TA-ZH1ES? I'm planning to use those in the office, so actually hoping something smaller or lower key lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back