SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Jan 11, 2024 at 2:41 AM Post #13,621 of 15,683
Seller took a pic, this is the peeled off code.
For those of you with the North American version, can you please confirm the letters UC on the barcode label?

The first letter is U, which should be for US. The 2nd letter C for Canada, so a new variant of the original code list. Standing for UC ( US and Canada), under one Region Code, rather than the separate codes for US and Canada previously used.

Of course you understand this is an educated guess, which I believe has a high degree of being right. But not a guarantee.

EDIT:
Confirmation from a REDDIT post that UC is a Region Code for North America, as that is what is also used for the ZX707 model.

The ZX707 is volume capped in EU, US, CAN, Singapore.
  • EU, US, CAN, and Singapore models DOES NOT have high gain option
  • JP, HK, India and Malaysia models DOES include high gain option
The WM1A/Zm2 was released first, and is capped only in EU

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/10y9gpn/psa_sony_nwzx707_have_various_models_that/
"Anyways these notes are just my humble opinion and I would also point out that the serial number / region code printed on the packaging for this was UC NW-ZX707//C UC. So that is another code to add to the list of “volume capped” product ID codes."

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 7:33 AM Post #13,623 of 15,683
Just curious for those of you who have the flagship wm1z... comparing to the wm1a, is it snappier in terms of user experience?
They are the exact same to me. Both benefit from the optimization guide. Very snappy picking something to play (local files). I don't watch videos on them, or browse though apps other than the Sony Walkman app. Hope that helps :)

Jan 11, 2024 at 7:57 AM Post #13,624 of 15,683
They are the exact same to me. Both benefit from the optimization guide. Very snappy picking something to play (local files). I don't watch videos on them, or browse though apps other than the Sony Walkman app. Hope that helps :)
Where do you find the optimization guide?

Jan 11, 2024 at 9:15 AM Post #13,626 of 15,683
I am as guilty of this as anyone, but people place entirely too much on the “Made In” moniker. That is the final point of assembly, and increasingly that is done where it is cheapest for products that aren’t terribly difficult to assemble. Nikon, for example, manufactures most lenses in Thailand now unless they are more difficult to assemble. Flipside, you will find products where the content is listed in things like cars showing that the final point of assembly is Japan, but a vast percentage of their components as being of Chinese origin.

If I had to pick, I would take the core components from Japan assembled elsewhere as opposed to core components from elsewhere assembled in Japan.
I think everyone is fine with that.

The issue is that companies charge a Made in Japan price while offering Made in China/Thailand/Taiwan products.

Companies like FiiO also only assemble their DAP in China while pretty much all parts inside (Capacitors, DAC, AMP) are either from Japan or the US (ESS DAC).

So why can FiiO build a DAP with all core components coming from Japan and sell it for ~600€ while Japanese (or Korean) companies sell the almost identical DAP, also Made in China, for 2-3x the price while having cheaper access to the core components due to the lack of currency exchange.

Sony is an exception due to their Full Digital Amp and fancy capacitors which you can only get from Sony but still, they do not justify the price. They could easily assembly the products in Japan for the exact same price. They are just greedy and its absolutely rightfully to complain about that

Jan 11, 2024 at 10:48 AM Post #13,628 of 15,683
The first letter is U, which should be for US. The 2nd letter C for Canada, so a new variant of the original code list. Standing for UC ( US and Canada), under one Region Code, rather than the separate codes for US and Canada previously used.

Of course you understand this is an educated guess, which I believe has a high degree of being right. But not a guarantee.

EDIT:
Confirmation from a REDDIT post that UC is a Region Code for North America, as that is what is used for the ZX707 model.

The ZX707 is volume capped in EU, US, CAN, Singapore.
  • EU, US, CAN, and Singapore models DOES NOT have high gain option
  • JP, HK, India and Malaysia models DOES include high gain option
The WM1A/Zm2 was released first, and is capped only in EU

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/10y9gpn/psa_sony_nwzx707_have_various_models_that/
"Anyways these notes are just my humble opinion and I would also point out that the serial number / region code printed on the packaging for this was UC NW-ZX707//C UC. So that is another code to add to the list of “volume capped” product ID codes."

Is that just the ZX707 though?

I have a UC unit, and the "High gain output" is available on mine.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    716 KB · Views: 0
Jan 11, 2024 at 11:04 AM Post #13,629 of 15,683
As it is written in the edited post, the UC region codes differ between NW-WM1xM2 (high gain available) and NW-ZX707 (high gain NOT available anymore) specs wise.

Jan 11, 2024 at 12:07 PM Post #13,631 of 15,683
Sony products are a bargain. The prices of TOTL DAPs has been climbing.
- Fiio M17 - US$1,799
- Cayin N7 - US$1,999
- Cayin N30LE - US$4999 / AMBER PEARL US$12,999
- Hiby R8 ii - US$1,999
- Shanling M9 Plus - US$2,959
- AK SE300 - US$1,899
One of the reason I have kept my distance from IEM and DAP world after getting XE6 with Sony Walkman.
Prices are just ridiculous.

Jan 11, 2024 at 12:48 PM Post #13,632 of 15,683
Sony products are a bargain. The prices of TOTL DAPs has been climbing.
- Fiio M17 - US$1,799
- Cayin N7 - US$1,999
- Cayin N30LE - US$4999 / AMBER PEARL US$12,999
- Hiby R8 ii - US$1,999
- Shanling M9 Plus - US$2,959
- AK SE300 - US$1,899
I was thinking that the competition has had two years to catch up. If they could match the sound at twice the price, they probably would. But it'd probably have 3 hours battery life and catch fire 🔥

I'm just kidding, I have no experience with the competition. I'm sure they're better for some/have other advantages :)

Jan 11, 2024 at 1:32 PM Post #13,633 of 15,683
I was thinking that the competition has had two years to catch up. If they could match the sound at twice the price, they probably would. But it'd probably have 3 hours battery life and catch fire 🔥

I'm just kidding, I have no experience with the competition. I'm sure they're better for some/have other advantages :)
I miss Cowon.

Jan 11, 2024 at 2:11 PM Post #13,635 of 15,683

Users who are viewing this thread

Back