SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Nov 1, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #13,336 of 15,604
I wish the moderators here would be a bit more active. 900 pages full of OT thoughts and personal beliefs that are completely unrelated to the two DAPs this thread is about. The thread's title is clearly focusing on these two DAPs. Some posters just ignore this completely which bloats this thread enormously. They completely miss the point that their thoughts should be better posted in a different thread. It's that simple. Read the 900 pages and judge on your own how much useful information you and others are able to extract from these. Free speech comes with responsibility beyond any kind of moderation. Not every personal thought is worth to be spread multiple times around the world wherever you want. Think of the readers here.
I sense the next question... about who should/could be responsible for judging posts to be filtered here... how could a person even think about controlling communication. How dare you? Moderators, please 🙂
My last words to this.
But youre the one is judging and trying to control others you say other to stay in bubble and dont make things here, why you so nervous? I hope is your last words, really, you only say crap...thats my free speach to you

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #13,337 of 15,604
But youre the one is judging and trying to control others you say other to stay in bubble and dont make things here, why you so nervous? I hope is your last words, really, you only say crap...thats my free speach to you
Yes, I just pick one example. Moderators should do this job. Otherwise we don't need them and everyone could just post everything here. Is that your dream? One single thread, with posts about just everything. Very good base for organized communication 😉 Other threads here are much better in their content, communication and efficiency. With focusing on what really makes sense. I actually don't know why this thread is so different. It started so promising.

Nov 1, 2023 at 7:45 PM Post #13,342 of 15,604
This remote works sporadically for me & I'm losing patience with it, cute & cheap as it is.
Other suggestions from anyone?

The Fiio RM3 works great

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-nw-wm1z-m2-wm1a-m2.962054/post-17685009

1698882331206.png

Nov 1, 2023 at 8:18 PM Post #13,344 of 15,604
Yes, I just pick one example. Moderators should do this job. Otherwise we don't need them and everyone could just post everything here. Is that your dream? One single thread, with posts about just everything. Very good base for organized communication 😉 Other threads here are much better in their content, communication and efficiency. With focusing on what really makes sense. I actually don't know why this thread is so different. It started so promising.
If you have nothing good to contribute just zip. Don't add more of your rubbish here. If other threads are better just go.

Nov 2, 2023 at 1:00 AM Post #13,345 of 15,604
My favourite pairing is with FitEar DC Ti
Frankly, any of the FitEar customs work well. The Air 2 and Titan work well too. :)

Nov 2, 2023 at 3:15 AM Post #13,346 of 15,604
Well, I think that at least SONY Walkman owners in this thread who are at least a bit capable of logical thinking should be able to derive from the posts by @Sonywalkmanuser the logical chain of causes and consequences that leads to the clear conclusion - the more the walkman is optimised for music reproduction only (i.e. cutting all unnecessary apps off), the less the SoC is utilised. Then the less energy is consumed, the less noise is there.

I cannot exclude the rare chance that there are some SONY Walkman users who do not get it anyway. Well, nobody can understand everything. :wink:
In such a case I must only wonder what it needs for such a person to persist on his opinion stubbornly despite the official statements by SONY engineers who have had a lot in common with Walkman development. Does such a person think that he has better know-how than SONY in this respect?:thinking:

@Sonywalkmanuser : You should not better feed the trolls anymore.:thumbsup:

If you read through what has been said by Sony engineers with regards to development of better sound quality, they would often mention having a clean power supply and addressing and preventing noises/interference that affects the audio circuitry. It is not just Sony alone, these points of having clean power, reducing noises/interference has also been mentioned by other DAP and audio equipment manufacturers as well.

https://www.sony.com.sg/electronics/dmp-z1-interview

The D.A. hybrid amplifier built in to the TA-ZH1ES headphone amplifier achieves a high output, producing a high-quality sound even from high-impedance headphones. However, it relies on a large (AC) mains power supply. The drawback of this is that mains power often carries considerable noise. There are also many different factors you need to pay attention to if you want to provide the best audio, such as the quality of the USB cable you use to connect; or when the PC is being used as the audio source, its power supply, the playback app it uses and its USB port.

However, our flagship Walkman® NW-WM1Z runs on clean battery power, meaning the audio quality is very high. With this Walkman®, all the components in everything from the playback device to the amplifier are internal and there are absolutely no external elements that will be affected by the power source. As long as it's charged up, you can take it anywhere and enjoy the high audio quality that we've strived to provide. However, the device is limited by its size and can't ensure the large output required for high-impedance headphones.

So, we thought that if we could take a stationary device like the TA-ZH1ES and make it run on clean battery power with no external elements, like the Walkman®, we could create a product that would allow our customers to easily get the full potential out of their headphones.

How does the built-in battery lead to higher audio quality?

Hiroaki Sato, Sound Quality Designer:
When you get right down to it, the power source is at the root of the sound played back by an audio device. If the power source is impure, you won't get a beautiful sound, no matter how good the audio circuits are. Like if you don't have clean water, you can't make delicious tea.

V&S Business Division DMP-Z1 Acoustic Engineer Leader Hiroaki Sato

Sony Video & Sound Products Inc.
V&S Business Division DMP-Z1 Leader for Sound Quality Design
Hiroaki Sato

Tanaka:
In the world of pure audio, there are people who install electrical outlets specially designed for audio, buy large power units and even go so far as to install their own electricity poles in order to cut noise from the power supply. But if you just use battery power (a DC power source) then there's no need for all this effort and investment, and you can eliminate any concerns related to the power supply. Unlike a speaker amp, which requires a large output of tens of watts to drive a speaker, the DMP-Z1 is a device made for headphones, so it can provide high audio quality through battery power. It doesn't need a huge power supply block to convert variable-quality AC into clean DC power. The equipped batteries are separated into three independent blocks, preventing any drop in audio quality caused by interference or conversion circuits.

Hiro (S):
We've designed new power circuits with totally unique specifications. When the amplifier is in operation, there's a high current due to positive- and negative-output batteries with large-capacity that are connected in series. It was hard to achieve this without using a DC/DC converter, which brings with it the possibility of slight noise from the negative power source. In particular, the battery designers went to great pains to create a design that uses transistors to cut off from the negative battery and switch to charging when necessary.

Don't those problems occur when the device is running on battery power?

Matsuzaki:
No, they don't. The power circuit structure for running on battery power at normal gain is very simple, so there's nothing in the power supply that can become a source of noise. However, in high-gain mode, which is used with high-impedance headphones, the voltage is increased. This means that even when the device is in battery power mode and isn't being powered by the AC adaptor, the power supply can still be a source of noise to a lesser extent. But to counter that we use high-grade switching controllers—the kind that are used in measuring instruments—so that the effects are minimal.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2023 at 7:50 AM Post #13,347 of 15,604
This is actually the best thread on the internet. Where anything Walkman related is welcome. We don't burn books here. I've rarely seen an opinion stated as fact. This isn't an encyclopedia (though it should be). Just talking about the tape display is boring. I hope the interesting and useful information keeps coming ❤️

I think @Sonywalkmanuser should start his own thread where he can post all the great Sony info he finds and his debloating guides. It would be useful to have it all in one place and it would keep this thread focused on the 1A/1ZM2

Nov 2, 2023 at 9:20 AM Post #13,348 of 15,604
I think @Sonywalkmanuser should start his own thread where he can post all the great Sony info he finds and his debloating guides. It would be useful to have it all in one place and it would keep this thread focused on the 1A/1ZM2
Someday we'll all move to Discord where it's easier to organise such threads and guides.

Nov 2, 2023 at 10:02 AM Post #13,349 of 15,604
I love my np modded wm1z and am thinking of getting the mk2. However, to do so I’ll need to sell off some of my existing equipment. Would the mk2 work well as also a desktop dac if I plug it in to an external amplifier? I realise this is probably double amping on Sony models

Nov 2, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #13,350 of 15,604
I love my np modded wm1z and am thinking of getting the mk2. However, to do so I’ll need to sell off some of my existing equipment. Would the mk2 work well as also a desktop dac if I plug it in to an external amplifier? I realise this is probably double amping on Sony models
I used to be able to use the USB out to connect to my desktop DAC/Amp, but after "upgrading" the software, I can't get it to connect properly... I get a very loud popping noise when it does and the volume is very quiet... This is the same with both of my Amps (a Questyle and a Fiio).

Any help or suggestions would be most welcome!

So as to the question, if you do purchase the Z2 and want to use it as a transport using the USB out, don't update the firmware to 1.07 (?).

If you are intending to use the analogue outputs these, in my opinion, do not give good results (with the Fiio).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back