SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Nov 1, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #13,321 of 15,604
This is actually the best thread on the internet. Where anything Walkman related is welcome. We don't burn books here. I've rarely seen an opinion stated as fact. This isn't an encyclopedia (though it should be). Just talking about the tape display is boring. I hope the interesting and useful information keeps coming ❤️
Oh... this thread is not about anything related to Walkman. It's about two specific models. And it is not meant to be used for general discussions or beliefs which can be linked to any sort of audio equipment. That's the difference 😉 Try to focus 🙂

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #13,322 of 15,604
What does it say exactly about differences in SQ when debloating (deleting/disabling services/apps) such a device? And do you have other sources than Sony or other manufacturers?
I guess I know what you mean. You think about the more apps/services are running on an Android device the more (audible) noise is created by the device, thus by the audio output ports, right? This may be discussed later on (better not 😉), but I can't see this stated by the article.
Well, I think that at least SONY Walkman owners in this thread who are at least a bit capable of logical thinking should be able to derive from the posts by @Sonywalkmanuser the logical chain of causes and consequences that leads to the clear conclusion - the more the walkman is optimised for music reproduction only (i.e. cutting all unnecessary apps off), the less the SoC is utilised. Then the less energy is consumed, the less noise is there.

I cannot exclude the rare chance that there are some SONY Walkman users who do not get it anyway. Well, nobody can understand everything. :wink:
In such a case I must only wonder what it needs for such a person to persist on his opinion stubbornly despite the official statements by SONY engineers who have had a lot in common with Walkman development. Does such a person think that he has better know-how than SONY in this respect?:thinking:

@Sonywalkmanuser : You should not better feed the trolls anymore.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2023 at 11:06 AM Post #13,323 of 15,604
Well, I think that at least SONY Walkman owners in this thred who are at least a bit capable of logical thinking should be able to derive from the posts by @Sonywalkmanuser the logical chain of causes and consequences that leads to the clear conclusion - the more the walkman is optimised for music reproduction only (i.e. cutting all unnecessary apps off), the less the SoC is utilised. Then the less energy is consumed, the less noise is there.

I cannot exclude the rare chance that there are some SONY Walkman users who do not get it. Well, nobody can understand everything. :wink:
In such a case I must only wonder what it needs for such a person to persist on his opinion stubbornly despite the official statements by SONY engineers who have had a lot in common with Walkman development. Does such a person think that he has better know-how than SONY in this respect?

I love it. Interpreting marketing articles from a manufacturer as hard facts, because their developers and engineers can tell us only the very truth. Please, be honest 😉 You are Sony fan boys, that's all 😉 Stay in your bubble and be happy, but please reduce spreading your beliefs here.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #13,324 of 15,604
I had the chance to test longly both DX320 + AMP 13 and NW-WM1Z M2

iBasso with AMP 13 is more relax, less energy both in treble presence and in bass rumble.
Very open and smooth all the way, better synth (it's mesmerizing)
Denser sound, and smooth is the term

The Sony have lot more energy in the bass (punch), but it's still very clear (clearer) , and treble energy also (can be more fatiguing that DX 320 + AMP 13)
A bit colder and harsh overall than the iBasso, a bit more centered also

For now i'm quite divided, i discovered the AMP 13 just days before the Sony, and i hated AMP 11 (to the point I didn't listen the ibasso for a while and invested in the Sony since i was hearing a lot of praised for his warmth and musicality)
Now i've got some days under the belt with the two of them, i'm surprise to say this, but for my preference i think iBasso is more adequate

I listen lot of japanese smooth song (Haruka Nakamura, Joe Hisaishi,), also Olafur Arnalds and Clint Mansell.
All tempered song with strings, synth and some voices here and there

For the likes of New Order or Royksopp or Japanese Breakfast, maybe the Sony is more adequate
I think it would depend on what you are listening with, as well as gear I suppose. I’m finding thick wires like the Code 23 helps bring out more of the nuances I look for in my music. It’s even brought my underutilised Mest 2s a new lease of life recently with the Walkman.

Nov 1, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #13,325 of 15,604
For me I find IBasso with Rohm dacs to sound lifeless and boring. Is that ok too?
A tad so.. helps when I use it as a source to my tube amps~ brings back some of that color and life 😉

Nov 1, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #13,326 of 15,604
IMG_9267.jpeg

My journey into the 1AM2 continues. The bass is better handled than on the 1A, warmer without losing details elsewhere in the frequency range.

Also, for those wondering how a ZX307 looks like stacked on a 1A stacked on a 1AM2, here’s a picture showing just that.

Nov 1, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #13,327 of 15,604
Well, I think that at least SONY Walkman owners in this thread who are at least a bit capable of logical thinking should be able to derive from the posts by @Sonywalkmanuser the logical chain of causes and consequences that leads to the clear conclusion - the more the walkman is optimised for music reproduction only (i.e. cutting all unnecessary apps off), the less the SoC is utilised. Then the less energy is consumed, the less noise is there.

I cannot exclude the rare chance that there are some SONY Walkman users who do not get it anyway. Well, nobody can understand everything. :wink:
In such a case I must only wonder what it needs for such a person to persist on his opinion stubbornly despite the official statements by SONY engineers who have had a lot in common with Walkman development. Does such a person think that he has better know-how than SONY in this respect?:thinking:

I have mentioned this before, I have compared the sound quality of my own debloated walkman against the demo WM1AM2 units(installed with many non-essential 3rd party Android non-audio apps) at Sony Wisma and Sony 313 Orchard and found both of the demo units to sound far worse than my personal WM1AM2 unit.

To me, both the demo units sounded unclean/blurry in the transient edges/imaging and sounded much less dynamic(not as deep sub-bass for example).

I really felt that both of demo units were a poor representation of what the WM1AM2 Walkman can be capable of sounding but anyways it's not my duty to be concerned about what they have on display on the showroom.

That's my own person opinion on the importance of debloating your walkman not just for UI performance sake but for improving it's sound quality as well.

For those walkman owners who have easy access to Sony Showroom in Singapore/Elsewhere, might want to compare your own walkman against their demo units. Maybe you might discover this as well.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #13,329 of 15,604
@Whitigir & @ttt123

Although I do have a newly discovered problem with my WM1AM2, I feel that I can no longer optimize/tune/tweak my walkman any further as of this current firmware. Anything else I try to tweak can cause my walkman to sound off in terms of DAP/audio equipment synergy with the IER-M9 & Swissbit S-55U. It's like as if I have reached the limits of what is possible at the moment interms of sound clarity/purity.

Off as in too much sound detail, overbearing in the dynamics, like a kind of overly strong digital glare, which will cause listening fatigue for longer listening.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #13,332 of 15,604
we talked about it a year ago. But i still have not a practical solution.

maybe an update from anyone: how do you carry your walkman with you while listening to music?

i wish there would be a chest back, a thin one, just for the player, short way between player and iem = no swinging ob player and cable = perfect :)

https://amario.jp/?mode=grp&gid=2573675

Wallet pouch (WM1ZM2 fits OK - even with a slim case eg. not the Sony one) + rope strap + mesh pouch to store the IEMs

Nov 1, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #13,334 of 15,604
Oooo youre not? Ok, it looked like it...."stay in your bubble" "reduce spreading your beliefs here." It looked like your in charge of something in this thread
I wish the moderators here would be a bit more active. 900 pages full of OT thoughts and personal beliefs that are completely unrelated to the two DAPs this thread is about. The thread's title is clearly focusing on these two DAPs. Some posters just ignore this completely which bloats this thread enormously. They completely miss the point that their thoughts should be better posted in a different thread. It's that simple. Read the 900 pages and judge on your own how much useful information you and others are able to extract from these. Free speech comes with responsibility beyond any kind of moderation. Not every personal thought is worth to be spread multiple times around the world wherever you want. Think of the readers here.
I sense the next question... about who should/could be responsible for judging posts to be filtered here... how could a person even think about controlling communication. How dare you? Moderators, please 🙂
My last words to this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back