SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Sep 23, 2023 at 9:34 PM Post #12,708 of 15,757
Quick question. I'm trying to watch / listen to YouTube videos on my NW-WM1ZM2 using it as a DAP plugged into a Woo Tube Mini with my headphones plugged into the 4.4 balanced of the Mini. When I have everything plugged in and the Sony booted up it asked the question about allowing the Woo to connnect for audio so I click yes. I can output music to the headphones I've downloaded to the Sony fine using the Music Player, the green light comes on on tghe Woo and good to go, the music sounds great. But if I bring up YouTube and try to play music videos through the Mini I can't for the life of me get the green light to come on and sound to the headphones? Do I have something configured wrong or is that just something you can't do which would seem odd? Thanks!

Sep 24, 2023 at 1:51 AM Post #12,710 of 15,757
Just FYI, there are new 2023 Kimber cable from Sony:
https://online.stereosound.co.jp/_ct/17624074
O, it will be available in local Sony stores too, but dunno when. Buyers do take note Sony Kimber 8 wires cable need long hours of break-in to sound its best and the connectors scratch easily, needs alot of care, i use deoxit to lubricate it. Hopefully the new cable has better scratch resistance. Please dun ask me how many hours of break-in, very longggg. lol.

Sony Kimber.png

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2023 at 2:44 AM Post #12,711 of 15,757
Hello, as M1s owner I wonder if it is still possible with M2s to go back and forth between different firmware versions as it has been with M1s.

Sep 24, 2023 at 9:08 AM Post #12,715 of 15,757
So who has tried playing the same file from the onboard storage and your SSD to hear if a difference is discernable? I'm planning on trying it when time allows.
I've said too much and know too little. I'll try to be clear and brief.

I've said that I strongly prefer a Swissbit industrial microSD over onboard storage, but there's some mental gymnastics going on. A little difference can go a long way.

In the past I used Kingston microSD cards and they all sounded good. A 64G that still works perfectly, a 128G that went for warranty twice, and a 512G that is slowly eating itself. It was with these cards that I first compared the sound to onboard storage.

Using songs that I know very well, they sound perfectly fine on the Kingston microSD. But on onboard storage I can hear it reach a little further. More resolving, a little deeper base. Music seems to go more into sixth sense territory. Today I imagine the difference is noise floor. Going back to the Kingston, everything seems fine, I can't hear a reduction in quality. Going back to onboard I can hear (feel?) the blacker blacks. Like hearing the music instead of the gear.

It was a nightmare prioritizing favourite albums when I couldn't fit all my files in the past.

At this time I thought onboard reined supreme. But I always wondered about that old Sony 64G microSD. Which somehow led me to try Swissbit. I wanted it to sound as good as onboard. It sounds nothing like it though, in a really good way. Now to me the difference seems huge. And I'm hearing more of the music and less of the gear. I'm lucky that my library is only 230G. I don't need to prioritize albums anymore. I have everything on the Swissbit and everything on the onboard storage (for backup, comparison, peace of mind) on my ZM2.

Important to mention, when I changed the card, I changed the gear. The Kingston's were used in my phones: HTC One(m8), LG V20, and LG G8. And the Swissbit's were used in AM2, ZM2, and Xperia 1V.

Happy Sunday :)

Sep 24, 2023 at 9:28 AM Post #12,716 of 15,757
I've said too much and know too little. I'll try to be clear and brief.

I've said that I strongly prefer a Swissbit industrial microSD over onboard storage, but there's some mental gymnastics going on. A little difference can go a long way.

In the past I used Kingston microSD cards and they all sounded good. A 64G that still works perfectly, a 128G that went for warranty twice, and a 512G that is slowly eating itself. It was with these cards that I first compared the sound to onboard storage.

Using songs that I know very well, they sound perfectly fine on the Kingston microSD. But on onboard storage I can hear it reach a little further. More resolving, a little deeper base. Music seems to go more into sixth sense territory. Today I imagine the difference is noise floor. Going back to the Kingston, everything seems fine, I can't hear a reduction in quality. Going back to onboard I can hear (feel?) the blacker blacks. Like hearing the music instead of the gear.

It was a nightmare prioritizing favourite albums when I couldn't fit all my files in the past.

At this time I thought onboard reined supreme. But I always wondered about that old Sony 64G microSD. Which somehow led me to try Swissbit. I wanted it to sound as good as onboard. It sounds nothing like it though, in a really good way. Now to me the difference seems huge. And I'm hearing more of the music and less of the gear. I'm lucky that my library is only 230G. I don't need to prioritize albums anymore. I have everything on the Swissbit and everything on the onboard storage (for backup, comparison, peace of mind) on my ZM2.

Important to mention, when I changed the card, I changed the gear. The Kingston's were used in my phones: HTC One(m8), LG V20, and LG G8. And the Swissbit's were used in AM2, ZM2, and Xperia 1V.

Happy Sunday :)

I think to really feel the difference between these three storage, is to compare them for longer listening sessions.
1) Remove microsd card, listen to music with onboard NAND for entire day
2) Listen to Kingston for entire day
3) Listen to Swissbit for entire day

See which storage allows you to listen to music for longer.

I did the same thing for FLAC vs Uncompressed PCM. Listening to them for entire day each to compare. Now my music library no longer have any FLAC at all.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #12,717 of 15,757
I think to really feel the difference between these three storage, is to compare them for longer listening sessions.
1) Remove microsd card, listen to music with onboard NAND for entire day
2) Listen to Kingston for entire day
3) Listen to Swissbit for entire day

See which storage allows you to listen to music for longer.

I did the same thing for FLAC vs Uncompressed PCM. Listening to them for entire day each to compare. Now my music library no longer have any FLAC at all.
Kingston can go to ____ 😂

I'm staying in my happy place, Sony's onboard kinda hurts my ears.

WAV (locally extracted) reins supreme. Good luck with meta data though.

I've increased my listening volume to 42 low for IER and 56 low for MDR.

I'll be an audiophile someday :)

Sep 24, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #12,718 of 15,757
Kingston can go to ____ 😂

I'm staying in my happy place, Sony's onboard kinda hurts my ears.

WAV (locally extracted) reins supreme. Good luck with meta data though.

I've increased my listening volume to 42 low for IER and 56 low for MDR.

I'll be an audiophile someday :)

I have batch converted all of my FLAC to AIFF format using foobar2000. No issues with meta data, everything converted without a glitch. Although it cost me ~30% more storage space.

AIFF format allows you to store meta data and album art on PCM wave.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_Interchange_File_Format

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #12,719 of 15,757
I have batch converted all of my FLAC to AIFF format using foobar2000. No issues with meta data, everything converted without a glitch. Although it cost me ~30% more storage space.

AIFF format allows you to store meta data and album art on PCM wave.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_Interchange_File_Format
I wish my files had all the artwork. I do have the physical copies. At least I have almost no screen time.

Anyways, about the Walkman.

I didn't know gapless playback was a feature. I thought it was standard in most devices until recently. So gapless playback is my favourite feature :)

Sep 24, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #12,720 of 15,757
By the way, @notcbw has managed to root the ZX500/A105 which allows for the adding back of high gain to EU models and also the manual selection of the various clock frequencies levels of the SOC. Lets see if this rooting can be done for the WM1 M2s in the future. A reminder that rooting comes with risk and can brick your device and void warranty, so approach this with caution.

https://github.com/notcbw/2019_android_walkman

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back