SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Sep 16, 2023 at 9:50 PM Post #12,557 of 15,611
I'm deciding between getting this and the ZX707. What is making me lean towards the WM1AM2 is the better sound quality, better battery life, high gain mode, ect... but I have read that this DAP is really laggy compared to the 707 .That would be a dealbreaker for me. Does anyone happen to have both and can provide any insight on how the UI is on each device?

Sep 16, 2023 at 10:56 PM Post #12,558 of 15,611
I'm deciding between getting this and the ZX707. What is making me lean towards the WM1AM2 is the better sound quality, better battery life, high gain mode, ect... but I have read that this DAP is really laggy compared to the 707 .That would be a dealbreaker for me. Does anyone happen to have both and can provide any insight on how the UI is on each device?
Not laggy at all ... u dun use a dap like u r using ur hp .. u use a dap for it's sound ... thats should be your main focus.

Sep 16, 2023 at 11:14 PM Post #12,559 of 15,611
see the difference between a stock ZX707 vs stock WM1AM2 for yourself.

Do note that you can debloat the walkman for improved responsiveness.

In my opinion, as long as you debloat the walkman and limit the walkman to essential music only apps(not using it for gaming, email, productivity and etc), the UI performance of the WM1AM2 should be satisfactory.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2023 at 11:17 PM Post #12,560 of 15,611
I think these are likely the reasons why Industrial grade microsd are better than consumer grade ones for our audiophile application:
Better quality NAND cells (better factory binning, lesser raw bit errors)
Better Error Detection and Correction algorithms (likely lesser sound glitches)
Better Microsd controller with better idle power saving(likely lower current load on walkman battery)
More robust power supply and voltage regulation and better EMI Shielding (likely lower electrical noise seeping into the Walkman electronic circuity)

@MrWalkman Maybe the above just sounds totally illogical to some of the "keyboard warriors".
have you tried the Kioxia or SanDisk High Endurance cards?

Sep 16, 2023 at 11:29 PM Post #12,561 of 15,611
have you tried the Kioxia or SanDisk High Endurance cards?
Have not tried the Kioxia but I do own a Sandisk High Endurance card, I have the 64GB model.

I feel that the High Endurance 64GB card sounds slightly better than Sandisk Extreme Pro 256GB as it doesn't have the FM radio grain distortion. The overall sound signature is more neutral sounding, not as dynamic as Extreme pro. A good choice for low budget in my opinion for it's improved clarity over extreme pro. Though I think the Industrial cards are the go to if you want the best sound possible.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2023 at 11:47 PM Post #12,562 of 15,611
Have not tried the Kioxia but I do own a Sandisk High Endurance card, I have the 64GB model.

I feel that the High Endurance 64GB card sounds slightly better than Sandisk Extreme Pro 256GB as it doesn't have the FM radio grain distortion. The overall sound signature is more neutral sounding, not as dynamic as Extreme pro. A good choice for low budget in my opinion for it's improved clarity over extreme pro. Though I think the Industrial cards are the go to if you want the best sound possible.
ironic... i think SanDisk High Endurance uses SLC which should have better error correction.

Sep 17, 2023 at 12:04 AM Post #12,563 of 15,611
ironic... i think SanDisk High Endurance uses SLC which should have better error correction.

https://ripitapart.com/2020/07/16/r...sis-of-sandisk-high-endurance-microsdxc-card/

The High Endurance is running on Sandisk/Toshiba 3DTLC. The Max Endurance models are 3D TLC configured into pMLC.

Although it must be said that Sandisk/Western Digital does not have datasheets available for their commercial cards and thus can change their product designs anytime they like. Meaning they can change their high endurance to using QLC if they wish to and no one is the wiser unless someone reverse engineer.

Do note that WD has been known in the past to do bait and switches:
https://blocksandfiles.com/2020/04/14/wd-red-nas-drives-shingled-magnetic-recording/

The Extreme Pro models probably has a small SLC buffer to achieve it's 200MB/sec(or 170MB/sec in the older model) read speeds.

SLC doesn't mean it has better error correction per say but it just means the cells last longer and are less prone to errors.

Error correction is basically based on the micro-sd host controller firmware design. From what I have gathered so far, the current Industrial models features the more processor intensive LDPC error correction algorithm which can detect more bit errors and correct more bit errors than the typical hamming ecc.

I think as the microsd cards get more bigger in capacity, it is very likely that the stronger error correction algorithms will be a standard feature of the pro-consumer grade cards.

As for my opinion on what microsd to use with the walkman:

Top choice for sound quality:
Industrial microsd

Top choice for budget:
Video Recording/car cam microsd

Avoid at all cost:
Lexar 633x

Also always format the microsd card via the Walkman OS first before using for optimal sound quality and performance.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2023 at 4:29 AM Post #12,564 of 15,611
Last edited:
Sep 17, 2023 at 7:24 AM Post #12,565 of 15,611
I absolutely love my AM2/ZM2. Satisfied in ways I've never been before. I truly appreciate the passion they've put into it. But sometimes I'm like - for $5000 where's my line out? This is Sony right? - I'm guessing it was never on their radar (%100 best for headphones only), or the sound wasn't to their satisfaction, or too many compromises.

I love what they've done. But if I were to add one feature, it'd be a line out :)

Edit: probably quite simply "that's not what the S-Master HX was designed for". Go ahead and double amp at any volume.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2023 at 7:28 AM Post #12,566 of 15,611
A300 and ZX700 were tested in Geekbench while running Android 13 (currently these players have Android 12).

Sep 17, 2023 at 8:00 AM Post #12,567 of 15,611
Last edited:
Sep 17, 2023 at 8:49 AM Post #12,568 of 15,611
Across all devices I've ever owned, it's takes me about half an hour to adjust to the volume. I choose a constant volume that allows for long listening sessions. For example, on my ZM2 I'm at 38 low gain using IER-Z1R's.
I tried it for 3 hours now... it is just too quit for me. I feel more comfortable with 60+-

Sep 17, 2023 at 7:30 PM Post #12,570 of 15,611
Good morning. My 1ZM2 has hung during charging this morning. How does one reboot it? 🥲

Attachments

• IMG20230918072540.jpg
    IMG20230918072540.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back