SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Sep 11, 2023 at 7:16 AM Post #12,498 of 15,986
Last edited:
Sep 11, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #12,499 of 15,986
You have to differentiate between technical performance and subjective performance.

The WM1AM2 is technically, significantly better. But the Mr.Walkman Firmware seems to use an EQ to change the sound, that will, of course, not be there when you buy the WM1AM2.

You would have to change the EQ yourself but i think that MrWalkman is not willing to reveal what exact settings he used (in the end, that would kinda destroy the idea of his Firmware).

But the WM1AM2 doesn't sound like the WM1Z. The WM1Z has worse treble. The M2 (no matter if A or Z) have much better treble and so automatically sound wider and larger and especially clearer. No Firmware that exists for the M1 can emulate that as that is a technical limitation in the hardware
thanks! That is the answer I wanted1 I will definitely have a try. The better treble and wider soundstage sounds attractive.

Sep 11, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #12,500 of 15,986
You have to differentiate between technical performance and subjective performance.

The WM1AM2 is technically, significantly better. But the Mr.Walkman Firmware seems to use an EQ to change the sound, that will, of course, not be there when you buy the WM1AM2.

You would have to change the EQ yourself but i think that MrWalkman is not willing to reveal what exact settings he used (in the end, that would kinda destroy the idea of his Firmware).

But the WM1AM2 doesn't sound like the WM1Z. The WM1Z has worse treble. The M2 (no matter if A or Z) have much better treble and so automatically sound wider and larger and especially clearer. No Firmware that exists for the M1 can emulate that as that is a technical limitation in the hardware

It mainly involves porting, there is no EQ involved. Why would there be an entire firmware when all these changes can be achieved with EQ?

I guess everyone can have an opinion though, especially without ever trying it 👍

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2023 at 10:13 AM Post #12,501 of 15,986
It mainly involves porting, there is no EQ involved. Why would there be an entire firmware when all these changes can be achieved with EQ?

I guess everyone can have an opinion though, especially without ever trying it 👍
I intentionally said "If there is a change". According to Sony employee, there are no changes in sound from one firmware to another. So purely porting the firmware and not doing any modification to it will not change the sound.

Of course, everyone can have an opinion. But it is very easy to proof if there is a change, sadly nobody ever posted one even though you could just do it with an average notebook not needing any additional equipment.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #12,502 of 15,986
I intentionally said "If there is a change". According to Sony employee, there are no changes in sound from one firmware to another. So purely porting the firmware and not doing any modification to it will not change the sound.

Of course, everyone can have an opinion. But it is very easy to proof if there is a change, sadly nobody ever posted one even though you could just do it with an average notebook not needing any additional equipment.

Luckily for all, the firmware is optional, so for anyone having strong opinions before even trying it, they can relax and continue their way. It just so happens that so many people heard changes even just from a firmware version to another, especially when it comes for the Sony OS players.

Sound changes also must always be frequency response related, there is no other way that sound can be altered.

I must be fooling everyone I guess, appealing to their self deceipt inclination. It's not like if anyone from Sony would admit that they can do this, that Sony won't be judged for it by consumers.

#BadMrWalkman 😅

I won't continue this thread of discussion, there is no end with you anyway. Have fun.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2023 at 4:35 PM Post #12,503 of 15,986
Luckily for all, the firmware is optional, so for anyone having strong opinions before even trying it, they can relax and continue their way. It just so happens that so many people heard changes even just from a firmware version to another, especially when it comes for the Sony OS players.

Sound changes also must always be frequency response related, there is no other way that sound can be altered.

I must be fooling everyone I guess, appealing to their self deceipt inclination. It's not like if anyone from Sony would admit that they can do this, that Sony won't be judged for it by consumers.

#BadMrWalkman 😅

I won't continue this thread of discussion, there is no end with you anyway. Have fun.

Headphoneus Supremus vs Headphoneus Supremus, let me bring a 🪑 and some 🍿

Sep 12, 2023 at 2:49 AM Post #12,505 of 15,986
Hi everyone, I'm new here from New Zealand. Just trying to find some detailed opinions between the Zm2 & Am2 for use with IER-M9’s. I don’t mind the price difference of the Zm2, but want to know if the weight to carry around is worth it. Thanks :)
have you used the search function already?

Sep 12, 2023 at 5:37 AM Post #12,508 of 15,986
Reading through the impressions it seems that the sensible pairings are (WM1Zm2 + IER-Z1R) or (WM1Am2 + IER-M9)

Quick Comparison:

Zm2+Z1R= great synergy, magical sound-staging with nice smoothness and decay. Potential comfort issues with Z1R.
Am2+M9 = Balanced & coherent sound, smaller soundstage with bit sharper and shorter decay. M9 very comfortable.

Does that sound about right to those of you who have decent experience with both of them?

Sep 12, 2023 at 5:37 AM Post #12,509 of 15,986
Never in an AB, no.

People can hear everything until they do an AB, then suddenly all differences disappear. Also the findings often contradict each other. One say it has more bass after an firmware update, the next says it has less bass. One says more treble, next says less treble.

Sony seems to ship a different firmware for every single walkman they make just for the fun. I am sure everytime they fix security bugs in Android they are throwing some D20s to see, what random change to the sound they will do this time.
If that is meant sarcastic, i am on your side and that is well known. Frequency Response is unrelated to the sound. An square signal sounds completely different than a sine wave and will still produce the same frequency response. I was never talking about fr measurements and i hope, everybody knows that fr graphs don't tell how things sound.

#BadMrWalkman 😅

Why do you even argue with me? Just proof me wrong and be done.

Sep 12, 2023 at 5:52 AM Post #12,510 of 15,986
Reading through the impressions it seems that the sensible pairings are (WM1Zm2 + IER-Z1R) or (WM1Am2 + IER-M9)

Quick Comparison:

Zm2+Z1R= great synergy, magical sound-staging with nice smoothness and decay. Potential comfort issues with Z1R.
Am2+M9 = Balanced & coherent sound, smaller soundstage with bit sharper and shorter decay. M9 very comfortable.

Does that sound about right to those of you who have decent experience with both of them?
The difference between the Z and A Version is, in my experience, very minimal and limited to the sub-bass/impact region.

You can use both Z1R and M9 equally well with both version. The Z1R has boosted treble and recessed upper bass/lower mids to make everything sound a bit clearer and more detailed, but less acurate. The IER-M9 sounds warmer in comparison, but is actually more balanced and neutral in sound.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back